Alternator alternatives...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MWP

Hi guys,

Im refreshing my 1UZ at the moment, and came across this photo:

l_e2670f190de95c3a8da0aadb2f1ee239.jpg

Has anyone done something similar?

Im looking for ideas on alternators from other engines + brackets i can use since my 1UZ didnt come with an alt attached :(

Thanks.

Where is the A/C? I'm heating up just looking at it.. Better bring a change of clothes after a long hot haul... How about a little power steering perhaps? Hope your stacked and have been eating your spinach.... You may get an arm workout...

Race or comfort that is the question?... Why can't we have both?

Formula race cars with air conditioning and power steering, top dragsters blowing super cold A/C... What do you think?

Power loss -

A/C on 7whp....(tested and confirmed)
Power Steering? My guess 10whp or so when turning...

Not much to ask for a little comfort no?

MWP - that's exactly how we did the alternator in the 1UZ RX7. The standard alternator mounted off the stud in your picture gives exactly the right offset to make the belt run true. Just make sure that you get a replacement alternator that has the same critical dimensions, which shouldn't be hard to do. I'll measure the correct dimensions tonight if you like and post them here tomorrow. Will also get the belt number if you like.

Muzz

Thanks all.
Ill see if i can find a 1JZ or 2JZ alt at less than the $240 the wreckers here want for a 1UZ alt.

Any ideas on the tensioner under the alt?

Jibbby -
The 1UZ is going into a 1977 Celica, no PS and no AC.

Formula race cars with air conditioning and power steering, top dragsters blowing super cold A/C... What do you think?

Jibby what Formula cars have ac? i havent seen a formula anything car that even has an enclosed cockpit. and are you trying to say top fuel dragsters have ac?

my supra doent have ac or ps, ac im thinking about adding back in, ps tho no way.

Actually some Australian V8 supercars do run aircon and power steering.
Mainly because sometimes they race endurance events in >40degC (>100degF) temps.
... but we are getting off topic.

You could use a turnbuckle for adjustment, you can get them from most marine suppliers ask if they have any second hand ones, I picked this one up for a few bucks and they are stainless steel to boot.

Cobber - that set up is clean looking...Good work... Looks like you cleaned that entire motor with a tooth brush it is so clean..

That top of the engine mounted idler looks like it could be deleted though.... Unless you really need additional belt grab to turn a root blower...

Jib

An old electric tooth brush to be exact. Top idler and fan bracket idler are needed as you suggested for belt wrap