SC400 vs. LS400 A/C Compressor

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cjsupra90

Hey Gang, could anyone tell me what the difference is between the SC and the LS A/C compressors? I know that there are differences, but what is it that makes them different? Im not worried about High and Low side line connections or any special features, or anything like that as this is for a supra swap but just want to know if the SC will bolt up to the LS engine and still have the belt line up correctly.

Thanks in advance.......

From memory some of the soarers have a longer rear mount.Wiring is different as the ls have a superheat switch and the sc have a slip sensor.

Saying that they should both bolt straight up.

From memory some of the soarers have a longer rear mount.Wiring is different as the ls have a superheat switch and the sc have a slip sensor.

Saying that they should both bolt straight up.

Yeah, All I am worried about is whether or not I can bolt an SC compressor to an LS engine.... Wiring type things dont make a difference to me as this is for my supra swap so all I need to do is hook up the lines and one wire to the clutch....

When you say the rear mount is longer, your basically saying that the Soarer / SC has a longer ear thus needing a longer bolt correct?

No,the rear ear mount actually sticks out further so in affect the compressor is longer.Im not sure if there is another bolt hole there as ive never fitted one.

I just had a customer come in one day that had a sc and wanted to fit a second hand ls comp and it was different in the ways ive said.

Just had a look at my spare motor which is a celsior motor,there is only one mount on the motor for the rear bolt so possibly the the fan mount/hydrolic pump that goes on the front is differnt legths between the two models.

Hmmmm, so I wonder if the body is shorter on the SC then the LS thus requiring the ear to be longer?
This kinda makes sense being that there is a sensor in the back housing of the compressor thus possible requiering a thicker housing of sort thus needing a shorter ear on it to still line up with the hole in the block....

Just had a look at my spare motor which is a celsior motor,there is only one mount on the motor for the rear bolt so possibly the the fan mount/hydrolic pump that goes on the front is differnt legths between the two models.

Thats what I was kinda worried about. I would rather run the LS bracket insted of the SC Hydro pump. Im starting to think that the SC compressor that I have is gonna go to waste and Im gonna have to pick up a LS compressor

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 2
There was a thread about this a few years ago, and the conclusion was that the two compressors were pretty different in their mounting. I have one of each at home, and at one time tried to mount each to the block, and one (presumably the LS) just wasn't going to work.

I think if you do an in depth search here, there may be some photos of the two types. David may know where they are as I think he was the original poster.

My friend, you should have asked me a little earlier because I just swapped the '92 LS block to my 95' SC. I only had to put the SC upper pan, lower pan, and oil filter block to the LS block and everything else fit the same. I don't know if the LS A/C will fit on the SC, but SC fit on LS when I used the above 3 parts from the SC. I also keep the SC A/C on this LS. Here are some pictures and I hope they can help you.

Here's the complete engine after everything is bolted up. There's 1 more thing to mention is I also swapped the SC hydraulic pump bracket over to the LS. I don't think the SC hydraulic pump and the LS fan bracket will make any difference, because the LS fan bracket will bolt right up to the SC and the SC A/C can stay.

The Jap spec a/c pumps interchange. I put all the spare a/c pumps into a box and fit to what ever motor I am putting together at the time. Crown pumps also swap over.

Cheers

Steve, I see what your saying but in your case, you have just basically recreated the SC engine. Im thinking for the first few posts from 1uzvl that the LS fan bracket has the AC compressor mount holes in a slightly different location then the SC hydro pump. There could be a difference in compressor lengths too and the holes are in the same location... Who knows...

John, I tried to searching for it before posting and read every thead that came up the search topic I used was "A/C Compressor". Anything that you can think of that might turn up a better search results?

If nothing comes about from this, I will find out for sure next week as I am buying an LS engine that I found for a hell-of-a deal...... So if no definit answers come up before then. We will find out then....

This may help to visualise for you.

You can see the slip sensor facing you right in the middle.
1uz004.jpg

Superheat switch right on the end.
1uz005.jpg

the one we had had the long comp mount on the rear,this customer wanted to fit the ls short mount,obviuosly it wasnt going to be a straight swap especially with the comp wiring being different etc.

Hmmmm, thats interesting..... Thanks for that post 1uzvl.........

I have never seen an SC here in the states with CM1774 compressor. The one that I have and every one that I have seen here is the CM1775 unit. My guess now from looking at those pictures is that the compressor that I have should bolt on inplace of the CM5328 unit

The UZS131 Crown ones have a much longer rear end which clashes with the LS400/SC400 dipstick tube.
Without the tube on there they are completely compatible. (ie even though its longer, the bolt pattern is the same)

If infact there are ones like the CM1774 I'm yet to see one.

I used to have a photo hosted comparing the Crown to the Celsior/LS400 but its gone.