afm part number different 1 didgit

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

lill daddy

Hey guys,

my motor is throwing a 31 error code (afm) i suspected the afm to be buggered when i started my conversion anyway.... i have found a replacement but the part number is one number different...

mine is 22204-42011
other is 22204-42010

will this be a issue?

any help appreciated....

Unlikely to be an issue if it all looks the same.
A lot of the time if its just the last digit thats different, then its probably a mounting point that has changed.

I know the Soarer and the Celsior AFM's differ in how they bolt to the air filter housing.
One of them has studs screwed in the AFM, and you use nuts inside the air filter housing.
The other has tapped holes, and you use bolts.

But electronically they are the same.

The last number is when the parts get superceded. It happens alot with ECUs as well. It should work fine. Notice toyota does it with their chassis numbers too like UCF10 then UCF11. Cheers

Cheers team!! had a check engine light coming on at idle but would go away higher in the rev range and returning a 31 code.... picking up a new afm tomorrow..... so fingers crossed :D

so different afm but same problem..... can anything else trip a flash code 31
will test the wires to the afm tomorrow but other than broken wires has anyone got any other ideas?

Notice toyota does it with their chassis numbers too like UCF10 then UCF11. Cheers
Thats not actually the case gloverman.
The last digit has traditionally indicated either a body type, or a suspension type.

UCF10 - springs/shocks
UCF11 - airbags

UZZ30 - springs/shocks
UZZ31 - airbags
UZZ32 - active

MZ20 - springs/shocks
MZ21 - airbags

MX73 - sedan/IRS
MX72 - wagon/solid axle

GS130 - wagon/solid axle
UZS131 - sedan/IRS

The list is endless.

Even some of the newer Toyota's are doing this

Kluger's for example.
GSU40 - 2WD
GSU45 - 4WD

have always wondered what relation the number had to the model.....

so does anyone know how to test this damn afm? i find it odd that the CEL only comes on at idle.... then higher in the rev range it goes out... would having my afm mounted directly on the end of the throtle body have anything to do with it?

Have you confirmed continuity of all wires from the AFM plug to the ECU plugs?

I've also heard from some people that the pins can come out when you plug it into the AFM

will test today Peewee.... trying to find a way to test the actual afm itself too... found a tutorial on you tube but doesnt show what pins to put power to etc....

the best way to test air flow meter is to fit it to a perfectly running car
another way is to wire up a diagnostic plug on yr harness and plug in a pretty good scanner and read live data
ive done this afew times but even so u need to decifer what the scanner is telling u
so unless u know that too then your chasing yr tail
i always get calls of guys saying ive changed everything but prob is still there

so i always say find a car with similar motor and swap things over
to a perfectly running car

u havnt changed yr air box lately?

thanks for the diagram bushwhacker!!

sideshow: i dont know anyone running a 1UZ thats running a stock ecu etc so cant find a vehicle to swap the afm into :( my uz is a conversion into a hiace van and have had to remote mount the throtle body into the old air box and the afm is mounted directly on the end of the throtle body ill try post a pic.... im not sure if this will be causing my issues or not....

Attachments

• 117_opt.jpg
    117_opt.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 34
okay so ive had 3 different afm's on my motor and its still throwing the same codes.... so have i got 3 duds or is there anything else that throws a 31 code? this is doing my head in now.... or is there any upgrade or any other afm's that u can run on these motors like a z32 or the like?

have u checked wiring
u need air temp signal wire has low voltage aorund 1v to 2v
2 earths normally 2 browns
5v power wire normally blue/red
and air flow signal wire not sure on voltage as its a frequency and ive never bothered measuring it

maybe its code 13 heheheeheh

If you want mark up your parts and courier them up to me. AFMs and ECU. Ill plug into one of the cars I have up here. I have replaced 5 AFMs and rebuilt 4 ECUs and one was not able to be repaired over the last couple of months. No charge for testing and we will see if the ECU throws a code with a running motor and ill check the live data out of the AFMs with a good running ECU. Cheers

Hey that would be awsome Kelvin, a member has offered to let me try his afm so will give it one more shot and see how i get on...

sideshow: i tested the wires as per your post 2 browns earthed fine, red/blue was 4.8v but air temp sig was around 4.5v which is higher? any thoughts???

thanks guys...

so just incase anyone doing a conversion has the same stupid thought i did....

what was causing my fault code 31 is..... get ready for it..... the pipe to the iac vavle (stepper motor)..... because this was before the butterfly on the throttle body i thought i could just put a little filter on the end of it so it was drawing filtered air.... turns out it needs to be behind the afm so at idle its drawing air through the afm.... therefore the afm at idle still has air running through it and sending a signal to the ecu...

so if your getting a 31 code id check the pipe from the iacv to the intake for air leaks/splits etc etc..

cheers for everyones input and ideas
Adam