AEM V1.19 Cal File

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
This is the AEM cal file Mitch Pederson developed on the engine dyno in October of 2008. The motor made 498 HP @ 6900 RPM, with mistimed cams.

It has a very aggressive ignition map which is not suitable for pump gas. We did all our testing on C14 and C16 race gas.

Engine: Early 1UZ, no VVTi

Injectors: 460cc Denso

Cams: Lextreme Stage 1

FI: Opcon Autorotor twinscrew supercharger

Ignition: COP using Tundra coils

Intercooling: Methanol injection - see notes below

Standard 12 tooth trigger wheel used for crank trigger

Left bank (only) cam trigger was used, and is on input G1, (B26)

This was a standard Gen1 AEM for the Toyota Supra with a few configuration changes as per below.

I/O Configuration Notes:

Coil 4 output (A22) is used to fire cylinders 2 & 3

Injectors 1-6 are wired normally, Injector 7 is on B70, Injector 8 is on B13.

Injector 9 (B74) is used for PWM control of methanol injection

LS9 (B68) is used for electric radiator fan control

Injector 10 (B75) is used for PWM control of the fuel pump

LS1 (B61) is used to tell a Kenne Bell BAP to switch from 14 to 18 volts

PW2Out (B62) is used for boost control

HS2 (A30) is used for methanol on/off enable.

Note: Since Coil4 (normally used for Fuel Pump Control) is now used to fire the ignition coils for cylinders 2&3, HS1 (A8) could be used for fuel pump control (not currently enabled in this file)

Attachments

• Cribb_Thursday.V1.19.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 62
Hey guys,

here is my AEM calibration file I run on the dyno (10102009).

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11738

The ignition map is very conservative in comparisson to cribbj's. But I run pump gas (100 octan ROZ which should be like your 94 octan in the states). I think there are some degrees to retard. And my fuel map is very rich under boost (check the O2 FB target table).

Car: Toyota Supra MK3

Engine: modified 1UZ, no VVTi

Injectors: 550cc RC

Cams: stock, 2JZ-GTE Valve Springs

FI: 2x Garrett GT2871R

Ignition: MSD Blaster SS coils, M&W CDI, WS

Intercooling: FMIC (27.5"x12"x4.5")

Modified 1UZ-FE engine wiring harness

Custom 12 tooth trigger wheel with hall sensor used for crank trigger

Left bank (only) custom cam trigger, hall sensor

Universal (1900) AEM EMS

I/O Configuration Notes:

Coil1, Coil2, Coil3, Coil5 are used for the ignition outputs
Coil 4 output is not used because there is a problem with this output

Injector outputs 1-8 are used

LS8 & LS9 are used for electric radiator fan control

PW2Out is used for boost control

LS11 is used for fuel pump relay enable

HS1 is used for Main Relay control

If you have any question, let me know.

Alex

Attachments

• Lexus_1UZ_101009Dyn.V1.19.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 43
Hey Cribb,

I looked at your map and I was a little bit confused how Mitch tuned the cylinder fuel trims. Do you have 8 O2 sensors or did you messured the CO of each cylinder?

Alex

We had a WBO2 controller on each bank of cylinders.

He tuned based on plug readings and on cutting a cylinder out at a time and seeing the effect that it had.

We already knew we had air distribution problems with the way the supercharger is mounted, so with this knowledge, plug readings, and other parameters, he trimmed the fuel to each cylinder at idle and under load to equalise the loads and plugs.

Ah, ok that sounds evident. Cribb, thank you for that information.
Do you know which cylinders are running richer or leaner with the stock intake (if you are running n/a or turbo)?

Thanks
Alex

We were running the Richwood supercharger intake manifold, and the superchargers have to sit well forward on these. Initially we thought cylinders 3/4/5/6 were robbing the air from the corners, however later it appeared the front four (1/2/3/4) were robbing from the rear four. But this was only at idle, and low manifold pressure; once the manifold pressured up under boost, things equalised better.

But with the stock intake, I'd have no idea what the air distribution is like.

I would hope that Lexus spent a fair amount of time with a good CFD program and got the air distribution pretty even, but that's just conjecture.

I'm trying to log to see the temperature of my engine with the same software that you post up, but I seem to get lost. Can anyone please show what tabs and what options that I can view things such as coolant temp, intake temp, boost, A/F ratio?

Steve, I wouldn't download any of these cal files into your setup. These are really intended just to get someone started, who doesn't have anything at all.

If all you're interested in doing is viewing your existing setup, just connect your laptop to the AEM, fire up the program, and when it says Online or Offline, choose Online. (Note: the AEM has to be fired up and running, or you'll get a failure to connect error.)

Then click Templates from the top menu, and choose the Tuning template. That should give you all the parameters you're interested in, plus will show you your ignition map and fuel map, and where the car is currently running in both.

Be very careful what you're doing as this is the "live" map that is running your car....

Once your session is complete, you'll have a new cal file on your laptop called "Workmap". This is a saved copy of your existing configuration, and it's what will be loaded up each time you start the program "offline". Note, this file will get overwritten automatically when you connect to the AEM, so it's good to take a copy of it and rename it.

If you want to load a different cal file and look at it offline, you'll go to the File menu, then click Open, then browse around for the Cal file that you want, then click on it & it'll open.

Be aware, if AEMPro isn't running, and you click on a cal file to see what it looks like, AEMPro will start, but it will not load that cal file. It loads the last cal file from the previous session. You can always tell which cal file is loaded from the message in the blue header at the top of the screen.

To compare two different setups, say for example Speedy's and mine, I like to have two different computers (my laptop and a desktop) running the two setups where I can look at them on two different screens.

Thanks to you, John. Your instruction is very helpful. Mitch showed me a long time ago, but I forgot how to do it. As you know that I've been having a heating issue, this is where I'd like to compare between the computer coolant temp reading and the Autometer temp reading. I was told the Autometer always reads a little higher than the stock sensor, probably about 10 F degree hotter.

No problem Steve; AEMPro isn't the most user friendly piece of software, and there's way too many options, menus, and settings that are available to the user, and many of them have overlapping effects.

It's too bad AEM didn't offer a "user" version and a "tuner" version of this software, as it's wayyyy too easy for most users to get in over their heads and screw up their motors.

To me, it's sorta like a CAD program; once you're past the learning curve it becomes intuitive, but then if you don't use it every day, your proficiency goes away.

You're definitely right. It seems mysterious with all of the options that show on the screen, and the meaning of them mostly tell what they do, but the thing is you don't know what will happen if you click on them. The software comes with a guide, and I didn't have the time to read it. I hope it's easy to understand. I wish AEM offers a "user" version and "tuner" version.

...If all you're interested in doing is viewing your existing setup, just connect your laptop to the AEM, fire up the program, and when it says Online or Offline, choose Online. (Note: the AEM has to be fired up and running, or you'll get a failure to connect error.)

Then click Templates from the top menu, and choose the Tuning template. That should give you all the parameters you're interested in, plus will show you your ignition map and fuel map, and where the car is currently running in both.
John,
So if I only want to view it, can I just close the Tuning window after viewing it without doing anything?

That's it Steve; you should be fine.

Just beware of a red flashing message in the lower left corner of the AEM software that says "Changes Made" or something similar. It means you've modified something either intentionally or inadvertently (happens quite easily when you're trying to "scroll" down a list of settings using your arrow keys.)

That means you've done something naughty and you need to figure out what it was before you cook your motor!

I would recommend that you "play" with the program a bit offline, using your actual Workmap, saved under another filename.

Playing with it online can lead to problems or worse.

Speeedy

it may be a noob question but are the inj1 wired to injector 1 and inj 2 to injector on cylinder 2 etc? also are you using waste spark and what ign #s goto what cylinders. if waste spark coils what 2 cylinders are on the same coil?

thanks,
hal

Speeedy

it may be a noob question but are the inj1 wired to injector 1 and inj 2 to injector on cylinder 2 etc? also are you using waste spark and what ign #s goto what cylinders. if waste spark coils what 2 cylinders are on the same coil?

thanks,
hal

Hey Hal,

that isn't a noob question! ;)

The firing order is 1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 -5 - 7 - 2

So I wired the injectors like the following

Output - Injectror on Cylinder

INJ #1 - Cylinder #1
INJ #2 - Cylinder #8
INJ #3 - Cylinder #4
INJ #4 - Cylinder #3
INJ #5 - Cylinder #6
INJ #6 - Cylinder #5
INJ #7 - Cylinder #7
INJ #8 - Cylinder #2

Coil Output - Cylinder

Coil #1 - Cylinder 1 + 6
Coil #2 - Cylinder 8 + 5
Coil #3 - Cylinder 4 + 7
Coil #5 - Cylinder 3 + 2

If you have more questions let me know.

Thanks
Alex

Hal & Speedy, just be aware that the AEM CAL file that I attached in the first post of this thread will not work with the injector sequence that Speedy just posted.

The AEM software has tooth count tables so that you can program the engine firing order, and it will adjust the injector timing to that engine's firing order. So with the "standard" Supra CAL file, the AEM Injector 1 output fires the Cylinder 1 injector, the AEM Injector 2 output fires Cylinder 2, etc.

In keeping with the AEM philosophy of using these tooth count tables to program the firing order, this is the way Mitch & I set up my 1UZ, and the table below shows how they're wired

The first number is the terminal on the AEM, the 2nd is the name of the output, and the third is obviously the cylinder injector that gets fired:

B20: Inj1 - Cylinder 1
B19: Inj2 - Cylinder 2
B18: Inj3 - Cylinder 3
B17: Inj4 - Cylinder 4
B16: Inj5 - Cylinder 5
B15: Inj6 - Cylinder 6
B70: Inj7 - Cylinder 7
B13: Inj8 - Cylinder 8

Speedy's injector wiring handles the engine firing sequence, and arguably is more logical, so his tooth tables will be entirely different than mine, and my CAL file will not work with his injector wiring.

Sorry if this is confusing - there's probably an easier way to explain it, but I haven't looked at AEMPro in ages, and I'm working from memory. It seems cumbersome, but I'm pretty sure AEM did this to help make this EMS an easy PnP for the Supra.

To make things more confusing, the ignition timing for the AEM is actually the way Speedy has shown, ie the tooth count tables don't help with the ignition timing, it's 1234/1234/1234 on the AEM coil outputs, and you have to wire the firing order yourself.

Very helpful info. i plan on using my mk3 base map for my 7m and wiring in the injectors and coils as originally done on the 89 to 92 aem ecu (box 1130?). then use the appropriate phasing numbers for the inj and ing augmented for 8 cylinders of course. then look at the fuel maps and timing and make the needed copies.

this way i can use a altered 7m harness adapted to the 1uz engine. i can wire the cam and crank sensors to the cps g1, ne, etc. i will use a 6 channel ignitor for the 4 coil waste spark (currently using a 3 channel ignitor on the 7m so no multiplex).
this way my fuel and iat and map and boost control can be wired up the same way as on my 7m. i assume the newer 1uz crank and cam sensor has the same magnetic ground input as the 7m cps magnet sensor output.
Are there any cam/crank sync numbers or other parameters for these sensors that would have to be changed from the 7m cps sensors?

and of course hope i dont blow anything up.

so if i understand cribbj that is the way to wire it up so it will be closer to what i am used too with the mk3 Supra? basically the phasing numbers are in a different order from 1 to 8 because the wiring is in a different order.

thanks again
hal
89TT soon to be

Attachments

• Car 01.jpg
    Car 01.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Car 03.JPG
    Car 03.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
my 90T 7m is a 5 speed. i also will try to put the ls400 A341e trans in the 89T auto shell with my 1uz. the 89 had a a340 trans that uses 3 selonoids and the a341e uses 4 selonoids. the 4th i think is some pressure up. any one have any experience with the aem controlling auto transmissions? i also dont know what wiring changes i will make to use the 89 ect computer and the aem.

bit lost on the aem auto trans working.
hal
89TT 1uz

Hal, PM me your email addy and I'll send you the wiring diagram I use when we're on the dyno. With that, and my Cal file, you can see what goes where.