adjustable cam gears

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rx7 s1 1uz

hey guys. found this thread 4 some adjustable cam gears.http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/messages/67/13071.html?1126064793
this thread is very old someone may know if someone out there still makes them or perhaps someone with cnc machinery or acsess 2 cnc machinery could look at doing some with maybe a group buy if the intrest is there for them.

it appears 2 be a good idea, it would be a much cheap alternative than going say HKS cam gears.

any people with comments positive or negative please go ahead and put your 2 cents in and if theres anyone that would be interested in producing some and selling them please go ahead and make your statement

It is NOT possible to fit adjustable cam gears to the 1uz's with the normal distributors.
With direct fire it would be possible.

i have not pulled my 2 distributer of my cams yet but by just looking at them i thought that you would be able 2 put them on a adjustment screw/bolt on that also e.g if you advanced the cam timing 2 degrees you could simply turn the dizzy back 2 degrees so it will be sitting back in its natural position. but saying that when you are making a high performance motor you should up grade the ignition system any way.

Why would you want to only adjust the inlet and exhaust cams in the same direction anyways...

i have seen gains on other Toyota motors with the DOHC setup like the 1uz with 1 cam gear. performance gains especially when you are putting a lot of boost into your motor. but again i could be wrong about all of this so please keep going putting your 2 cents in, we all learning new things all the time :)

I think there are other Toyota adjusting cam gears might work on the 1uzfe. I saw it once but dont remember what but the Camry (4 cylinder) looks very similar to the 1uzfe, but need to confirm the measurements.

Keeping ignition timing is not the problem.
There is not enough room to fit an adjustable centre behind the rotor button, I have been down this path.
I do have a design for CNC adjustable front pulleys but you can not run the std distributors.

Kelford did make an adjustable centre gear but due to the fact that it required the manufacture of a new gear assembly and people would not pay the required price, they stopped making them. We have the last pair fitted to our race engine to set the exhaust cam.
The front pulleys were re-dowelled to obtain the correct inlet timing.

There is not enough room to fit an adjustable centre behind the rotor button, I have been down this path.
I do have a design for CNC adjustable front pulleys but you can not run the std distributors.

Kelford did make an adjustable centre gear but due to the fact that it required the manufacture of a new gear assembly and people would not pay the required price, they stopped making them. We have the last pair fitted to our race engine to set the exhaust cam.

Kelford didnt stop because people wouldnt pay, they stopped because the supplier (a gear cutter in NZ), was very unreliable.

o k thanks for that RMS good info. what do you think is it worth going with the adjustable cam gear on the 1uz with out been able 2 do the center gear.or is the valve timing prity much as good as you get with out been able 2 adjust the center gear

yer that was what i was thinking before but of the top of my head i think the cam pulley on the Camry is not as wide as the 1uz but i will look into that and post a reply on it

I think there are other Toyota adjusting cam gears might work on the 1uzfe. I saw it once but dont remember what but the Camry (4 cylinder) looks very similar to the 1uzfe, but need to confirm the measurements.

Why would you want to only adjust the inlet and exhaust cams in the same direction anyways...

When you skim the heads, you need to bring the timing back to the correct figures, that is when same direction timing is good to go. At a total guess you get 4or 5 degrees per mm of skim, so with a 0-8 cam gear and a retard of 4 due to skimming, you can now change the center lines by a bit.

Mike