A650E + Early 1992 1UZFE - will it bolt up?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

UCF11

I have an early 1992 Lexus V8, but I want to run the 5 speed automatic from the VVTi 1UZFE LS400 and GS400s. The A650e boxes can be had dirt cheap here as no body wants them so I figured it might be the best to get one and use it with my 1992 1UZ.

I will be controlling it with a stand alone TCU so dont plan on using the stock 1UZ ECU to run it.

However my concern is will it bolt up to the engine okay? are there any issues with the input shaft/torque converter fitting correctly?

Would it be smarter to just buy a 1998+ VVTi V8 with the A650e already attached?

what tcu do u plan to run on it
i have searched and not much around can control the late model boxes
ive been trying to find what controllers out there will work on a a7** box
found megasquirt might be able to do it but id rather something better heheheh

i think the a6 boxes might have less solenoids than the a7

Yes it will bolt straight up in terms of bellhousing but check the number of bolts and PCD of them in terms of torque convertor. If that matches as you intend to run a sand alone PCM for it I don't see any problems except at the driveshaft end

Well I've got a TCI-EZ unit I bought a while back for the A341E I was going to use. Apparently it will work, but of course will have to be custom wired and tuned, as it only as pre-set GM boxes in its memory. I guess theres only one way to find out if it will work, if not Ill find something else.

The engines going in a BMW 3 series so it rather needs the shorter ratios to keep it more sporty, which at least the A650 offers + with a 3.91 or 4.1 final drive. At least the drive shaft is no issue as it will be custom.

Ive considered a manual W58, but for my quirky style a 5 speed auto coupled with a shift kit and tuned tiptronic function will be much more preferred.

There is a guy on club lexus doing a build on a non-vvti 1uzfe with an a650e with a 4.27 diff from an SC300 and the TRD LSD unit. He's wiring in a gauge cluster from a 98 SC400 but he made no mention of a standalone or anything. His user name is MattStarr you can look up the thread. I want to see if it is possible because I would love to bolt one of these up when I do the 4.7 swap (very far in the future). It would be awesome on the highway I think...

ok cool
ive seen the tci unit on the web
i would get in touch with the manufacturers of the tci unit and ask if it does the a6
i know the a3 has 2 shift soleniods and the a7 has 5 shift soleniods thats y its hard to find anything to control it so im not sure on the a6

sorry to bump the old thread, but I am currently considering transmission for my daily driver.
The easiest way is to keep A341 (with electronic kick-down) - I have all the parts required to do the swap (torque converter, input shaft, stand-alone TCU), just need to buy transmission itself.

The other option - is to get A650 off crown, but then I need consider torque converter from early 1992 1UZ, input shaft... all that staff seem to be non-interchangable, is it right?

You will need new torque converter..

How is it different?

I bolted up a MA70 / 7M-GTE auto to a 1UZ by just swaping the bellhousing, the torque converter had the correct size spigot and bolt pattern!

EDIT: I WAS WRONG! PCD of the bolts will require sloting of drive plate holes and TQ spigot was .2mm oversize

Last edited:
How is it different?

I bolted up a MA70 / 7M-GTE auto to a 1UZ by just swaping the bellhousing, the torque converter had the correct size spigot and bolt pattern!
There is no problem swapping A340/A3401 - the torque conevrter may sit ok, but it is better to drop input shaft from UZ tranny into yours.

But when we talk about newer A650 - it all seems to be different.

To those who will be considering A650 + early A340 TC and overdrive gear with shaft, my answer is - yes it is possible. You can throw overdrive gear and shaft from early 1UZ A340 into newer A650 off crown JZS17x 2jzfse.

However - this does not vork the other way, the A650 overdrive is way too fat to fit into early A340. Also, there might be versions to suit fat overdrive? :confused: no idea.

The difference in early A340 and later A650 is number of splines on the overdrive shaft and inside TC. This is what easily noticable.