A650 shift kit, is it worth it?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

George_R

Staff member
Occasionally came across this thing (TransGo shift kit for A650)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexu...650-/181443780495?hash=item2a3ee45f8f&vxp=mtr

Has anyone over here tried it? Or any other 5spd kit?

The reason I'd like to try this kit is some small issues with my transmission. Sometimes it lags badly upon 2-3 shift (maybe once a day), and sometimes it engages 1, 2 gears in weird fashion. For example if I brake down to ~10 mph, then gently depress accelerator pedal, nothing happens for a while and then a gear finally kicks in.

I assume that adjusting line pressure dial (that's accessed when oil pan is removed) will help a bit, but I wonder if the kit would make any further improvement

ok so this is it anyway.
Will install it and see how it works for me

bf2c672s-480.jpg

1aac672s-960.jpg

George, I'm interested to hear how you get on with it. I have an A340E in my son's Supra (my old black one) that will need repair/replacement soon.

I do highly wish to fit it before Aug 17th. But since my project car is my daily driver, and my previous experience with auto transmissions is close to zero, I need a serious backup before I proceed.

By backup I mean collecting spare everything. Every bit that can fall off / spring out of the trans when removing the valve body. As well as spare valve body. Then I'll clean everything thoroughly, fit the kit at home and then I will try to fit the modified VB to the car.

Note that TG kits for 340 and 650 transmissions are reported to be very different from each other.

Yea, sorry, I should have provided a bit of background. The A340 in the Supra was a "built" unit, done up by one of the more reliable and well known Supra shops.

It's been in the car for nearly 10 years and has performed well, but its shifts are very harsh. The adverts for it call them firm, but IMO they're way past firm....

Recently I've replaced the differential mounts and bushings, and I fear the diff itself has excessive wear due to this transmission, so I'm considering changing the transmission itself, as well as rebuilding/replacing the diff and other drivetrain parts.

So this is why I'm interested in what you're doing with the A650.

I'm also looking at the Merc 722.1, which a guy over in Sweden has recently adapted to his 2JZ powered Beemer. This is apparently one very stout transmission that Mercedes use in their AMG cars, and Chrysler/Jeep use in their SRT lineup; plus it's still fairly cheap as the market hasn't "discovered" it yet.

That's interesting but how are you going to control it? In particular, how would you retard the timing and close the throttle upon shifts? Besides , any VB mod does nothing to the infamous 3rd gear sprag, which apparently gets much more stressed without cutting the power on shifts

Regarding the Merc trans, I think it's nonsense to fit it in terms of price and amount of labour needed. Keeping in mind that there are strong Toyota transmissions that would bolt on 2JZ. Newer 340s (non cable driven line pressure control) shift just as smooth as the 650s when they are all stock

Last edited:
We have had upgraded valve bodies in a couple of A650 now. Have done so on both stock ECU N/a engine and Aftermarket engine ECU with supercharger. Normal driving they simply shift like you would expect but the harder you push the vehicle the more responsive the shifts become. These have been on stock management but one customer has an aftermarket ECT which will be fitted when the funds allow.

Hi George
was going to do mine if your install went ok, not sure about drilling the hole. is it in the casket or the valve body, a bit uncertain on this.

Alan

Hi All
Just to bump this.
Anybody done this as yet, just wanting to know if it's a good mod or not?. Have the kit on the bench and the box ready to fit to the engine.
Thanks for any input

Alan

Still haven't installed it. Thankfully the project car becomes a perfect daily driver when I have no time for it. Definitely not going to increase the hole's diameter as it's only needed for better cooling, which is solved already by fitting oil radiator.

A650E Transgo shift kit

Hi George... By the way.. how much was the Transgo shift kit ?....... Im waiting too for your test results as the 'lazy shifts' is my main bug bear about my car and would love to liven the transmission up....

Hi! It was about $80 + shipping. Still have no time to fit it as all my spare time is needed to assemble and sell my electronic devices, and I need my car every day. I plan to fit it before summer though

Hi! It was about $80 + shipping. Still have no time to fit it as all my spare time is needed to assemble and sell my electronic devices, and I need my car every day. I plan to fit it before summer though

Have you heard of anybody else installing them ?.... Have you heard anything about them ?

We have had upgraded valve bodies in a couple of A650 now. Have done so on both stock ECU N/a engine and Aftermarket engine ECU with supercharger. Normal driving they simply shift like you would expect but the harder you push the vehicle the more responsive the shifts become. These have been on stock management but one customer has an aftermarket ECT which will be fitted when the funds allow.

Hey gloveman.. Have you tried any of these Transgo A650 shift kits in any of your valve body mods ?

parts included
bf5c566s-960.jpg

part4 will touch a/t case and will need grinding down as described in the manual

undo top v/b and collect all the bolts
4d1c566s-960.jpg

f51c566s-960.jpg

bottom v/b (there're quite a few balls under the gasket)
251c566s-960.jpg

e51c566s-960.jpg

old parts to be replaced look like this

351c566s-960.jpg

don't forget to install the shifter rod properly
551c566s-960.jpg