95 Pickup Race Truck 1uz swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

htibaja

Hello all just starting my uz swap into a 95 toyota pickup v6 3vz. I have had this truck for 8 years and slowly put moreo and more work into it suspension, Cage and now finally getting to the motor. The hoursepower can not keep up with the suspension and tires anymore. I have been doing research for a while but probably dont know everything i need to know to make this swap flawless but if i dont start i wont ever get it done. So here it goes.

Still not 100% wheather i am going to run a manual trans, would like to but trying to work out the details. I have an R150F with transfer case but am only running 2wd as this is a desert racing truck. I am a little worried about endurance and strength of the trans and adapters(flywheel clutch etc) if any of you have an opinion on the cheapest easiest way and reliability to mate the r150f to the 1uz advice would be great.

here are some picks of work started yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 61
If you're only going 2wd I'd reccomend using the supra R154 as it's almost the same just in 2wd instead. Also I sell the Rxx transmission adaptors, and I can tell you from experience that these transmissions definately have the ability to handle most anything you could throw at it as far as offroad goes. as far as clutch setups go, what are your power handling expectations? anyway, if you want check out my site www.toyotav8.com and give me a call if you have any questions.

I am putting a 1uzfe in a buggy/ manx. I have everything figured out except the fuel pump/ system. I know the motor needs 44psi@WOT. These motors are cheap and plentiful here in So Cal. What class do you plan to race? 1450?

For the fuel pump I prefer to use something like the factory would have used. In this truck good quality replacement unit in the factory V6 tank. Nippon denso make the factory pumps and they also supply companies like Sard. I prefer the factory replacement items as they are better quality. for more flow try looking for something like a tt supra or turbo mr2. Another option is the high performance motorsport walbros. I have a walbro in my 400Hp turbo surf with no issues.
As for the mounts in that auction they dont seem to mention there are different positions for the chassis mounts on 4 runners. Other members have used those bellhousings. Being from NZ bellhousings are easy to get hold of. I usually have them in stock. Actually I think all the parts are easier to get hold of over here. Cheers

But what if you're not using a factory style fuel cell, and need an external pump, then tune it down with a regulator? Off-road/ race legal fuel cells do not work with factory pumps.

Factory regulator will do fine for bringing the pressure where it needs to be. As for the fuel cell, MSD sells a relabled inline walbro 255 for about 125$ on summitt racing. I've used several of them in the past with good luck. Just be sure to follow the installation instructions lol.

Build Continues

Well have made a little more progress in the next few days. Cleaned out the rest of the engine bay cut off brackets that were not necessary. This morning i went out and decided to make myself a temporary adapter plate so i could get the trans and motor fitted in the truck to see what my major problems would be. After pulling off bell housings and some quick cuttting and drilling i have my adapter plate and the r150f was connected to the 1uz. Thew it between the farme rails and it looks like i am gonna have enough room for shocks steering an i might not even have to do much alteration to the tundra headers that should be here any day.

Next step is to find a cheap sc400 i bought this motor before i knew exactally what i was doing so it ends up i need some more parts than i thought.

and i have no idea what blugs on my motor go to what so if i ahd an intact guide it would be much easier to decipher the mess at the end of the day

if anyone knows of and sc400 for sale in socal or even up north for 1500 or less let me know. I found one with a blown trans but missed it by a day.
I found a few ls 400s down here but it might be more hassle than its worth with the wireing harness and such

here are some pics

Attachments

• lexus swap 6-6-11 001.jpg
    lexus swap 6-6-11 001.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 67
  • lexus swap 6-6-11 002.jpg
    lexus swap 6-6-11 002.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 61
  • lexus swap 6-6-11 004.jpg
    lexus swap 6-6-11 004.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 55
  • lexus swap 6-6-11 006.jpg
    lexus swap 6-6-11 006.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 55
  • lexus swap 6-6-11 007.jpg
    lexus swap 6-6-11 007.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 53
  • lexus swap 6-6-11 009.jpg
    lexus swap 6-6-11 009.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hell, that plywood adapter plate will hold up to anything you can throw its way .l. Bolt it in and fire it up.
seriously though, looks good and your making some quick progress.
I like that HD crossbace under the oilpan.
BTW- ive heard good things from a couple people that have installed the EBAY Thailand bells, and supposedly Toyota and Lexus originated from overseas- so ive heard??

Strong start -Keep it rollin' Nick!

Aaron

Yeah i am fabbing up some poly bushing mounts tomorrow solid mounts and not cool for high speed offroad, crack the case. but im stoked its comin along good this is the fun easy part though.

Solids aren't as bad as you would think. But I'd avoid them anyway in your case. I could easily see solid mounts in this application cracking to pieces.

on car-part.com, they have complete harnessess for under $300. I'm betting you could get the harness and ECM for that. Just make sure it's the same year as the motor you bought. If I can find it, I will post the wiring to get it to run. Rumor has it that 5 wires to power will run it, then the rest is sensors. If that's the case, cutting down the factory harness should be easy, once you hook everything else up.

I have the harness and most the parts but i am missing things like power steering pump, alternator, ignitors, ecm, o2 sensors, it seems more cost effective to buy a junker

I tell people over and over to buy the whole car for the parts. There are so many parts you need and people always sell the accessories from them quickly as they bring in easy money. Go buy a warrantied power steering pump and alternator from a parts place like Carquest. They give you a lifetime warranty and they aren't THAT expensive. Buying used is a huge chance and a complete waste of time imo.

Yeah if i know what i knew now i would have bought an entire car but i got a decent deal on the motor to start so i am not too worried i might end up doing the swap in both my trucks if this one goes smooth we will see

Well a little more progress today got my headers in mounted those up for fittment. Looks like it is going to be a little tight with the upper a arm poly bushing and might also be closed to the coilover mounting location. The biggest hurdle though is the steering. I am planning on moving the rack vertical about an inch to clear the header and dropping the pitman arm an inch since i am already making an upgraded on with a uniball instead of a ball joint. Also went out to kartek today picked up poly bushing asemblys for crossmember and motor mounts gonna be fabbing those up tomorrow.

A few pics

Attachments

• lexus swap 6-7-11 001.jpg
    lexus swap 6-7-11 001.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 55
  • lexus swap 6-7-11 002.jpg
    lexus swap 6-7-11 002.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 53
  • lexus swap 6-7-11 003.jpg
    lexus swap 6-7-11 003.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 47
  • lexus swap 6-7-11 004.jpg
    lexus swap 6-7-11 004.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I priced the motor/harness/ecm from an untouched ls400 yesterday for 1k. For the $$$, well worth it. Do the JDM motors come with ignitors?

I have the harness and most the parts but i am missing things like power steering pump, alternator, ignitors, ecm, o2 sensors, it seems more cost effective to buy a junker

I have a friend that parts out lexus's, he has most of the little stuff like the p/s pump. let me know if you want his number.

I priced the motor/harness/ecm from an untouched ls400 yesterday for 1k. For the $$$, well worth it. Do the JDM motors come with ignitors?

that's a little pricy considering I can get a 98 jdm engine from venus auto in sacremento for 800$ with all the accessories and ecu. or 400$ without accessories.