`92 surf v6 5 speed manual 1uzfe conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi Dudescar, Did you use the LN130 gearbox crossmember and tail shafts ?
I am looking at purchasing these if it will move the gearbox mount 60mm rearward compaired to my standard ones.
You wouldn't blieve it but I bought a couple of bar stools with the logo "busted Knuckle Garage" well its lived up to its name. I slipped off one of the engine mount bolts and my left hand punched (at full force) into the fire wall. Needless to say I am now sporting lots of skin off the nuckles of my left hand :mad:
Flick me an email and I will send you some pics.

Craig

Yes and I don't think I will learn ever lol :p
really itchin to ge it all finished an fired up. I'm leaving the original fuel tank in it with a Walbro in tank fuel pump and adding a 130 L Longranger tank in the rear (my spare is already on a swing away bracket) so I can just transfer fuel on the go.
Also doing bonnet mods, GTiR Pulsar bonnet buldge and also the rear facing vents. That should eleviate any over heating problems oh and of course a custom 3 row alloy radiator and 16" thurmo fan

Attachments

• P6220540.jpg
    P6220540.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 19082011(001).jpg
    19082011(001).jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 25
Having trouble uploading more pictures :mad:
Love my garage & workshop setup 17 metres all up and a loft.
My mate is going to mod a Prado dsc brake rear end so I can bloody stop it whenI'm towing or just getting up it lol.
Just buoghtt LN 130 tail shafts and crossmember from Gold Coast 4x4 $335 delivered to my door. A lot cheaper than getting them lengthend and shortened.
Does anybody know if the throttle body from a 3.8L Commodore will be ok rather than the 1UZ one. They are the same throat size and the Commodore dosnt have as much shit on it.
As you can see by the pic of my motor & charger setup the throttle body is on the passengers side which allows me to utilise the standard air box which is connected to a snorkle. Also the Commodore accelerator cable is long enough to do that job.
Again any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
With the Haltech you should be able to run the Commonwhore TB but I'd go bigger like 90mm..

Cooling probs? What cooling probs? I keep them cool with a stock diesel Surf radiator and 16 inch Spal fan and the only times that mine has ever gotten warm were when I first fitted the winch bar (nothing some extra holes in the bar didn't fix) and when the A/C was first gassed up as the sparky put the wrong refrigerant in it and slightly too much of it at that (caused high head pressure in the compressor thus increased temps, that and sitting in traffic with the "newly commissioned" A/C on didn't help. All solved now using OR12). I've had a few in that were converted "over east" that have had cooling issues and all I've done is to "retrofit" the Surf type radiator. Use the 16 inch Spal fan, in some cases put the top and bottom hoses on around the right way (thermostat is in the bottom hose on the UZs as with most post '88 jap engines) and in the case of the autos delete the bottom tank mounted trans cooler using a large remote cooler. Plus refit where required the Surf/4runners original thermostatic fan, some think that this is the A/C condensor fan which it also is but does come on at 98 degrees C and also cut the A/C when it does switch in which brings me to the next point which is to ensure that the thermostatic cut-out for the A/C is wired up

Hi Dudescar, Did you use the LN130 gearbox crossmember and tail shafts ?
I am looking at purchasing these if it will move the gearbox mount 60mm rearward compaired to my standard ones.
You wouldn't blieve it but I bought a couple of bar stools with the logo "busted Knuckle Garage" well its lived up to its name. I slipped off one of the engine mount bolts and my left hand punched (at full force) into the fire wall. Needless to say I am now sporting lots of skin off the nuckles of my left hand :mad:
Flick me an email and I will send you some pics.

Craig

LN130 Shafts and crossmember. From a manual if you intend to run a manual box which gives the 60mm required and from an auto Surf for the auto which if you wish to run factory type 4wd for the V6 models means changing to a Surf electric transfer box and control system as the integrated transfer box just won't fit..

Even when a mechanic for my entire adult life "Busted knuckles" are an occupational hazzard. I worked for one crowd where you had to fill out a form in triplicate if you even cut your finger, Bit difficult if you were working on an engine and wondered why your hand was wet the looked for a coolant or trans fluid leak only to discover that it was you leaking and not the car (Toyota's run red coolant). Either that or it hurts like hell when you wash your hands and you wonder why..

problem with the surf thermos is most people forget to fit the thermo sensor on the old fkt 2lt motor
luckily the grey/blue with which triggers it i think turns fans on when its not connected to ground so when u connect it to ground the fans stay on when ign is on
toyota engineers where on drugs when they designed some of the stuff on the surf with 2lt hehehehehehehe

You aint wrong Jim. But a 2L-TE Surf sorted properly is quite a good vehicle. If you get yourself in trouble off road in one you probably should stay away from a car full stop as they just don't have the power to get you bogged in. Took the wifes one out a few weeks ago and it went everywhere and even behaved itself except for the last bit..That was probably where I broke the front diff...

Running a R151 manual box, got rid of the sludge o matic :D
Looks like I'll be back on E Bay after a 90mm throttle body then.
With the motor being supercharged it is probably better for air delivery anyway. My front bullbar will be sporting the radiator for the A2W intercooler radiator that I had custom made. I have been modifying it to allow as much airflow into the radiator as possible. I'm going to run that red coolant in the motor and green in the A2W cooling system so I can ID any possible leaks.
Should be getting the g/box X member and tail shafts tomorrow WED so I can let you know how I went. I have set myself 3 weeks to have it completed and up to Adam for the wireing and tune.
If you have any tips on how to upload pictures better on here let me know ok.
I will still be using a custom radiator as my boat all up weighs 2.5 tonns and the last thing I want is to cook my motor.

Hi Samsdad, I have got the LN130 B/box X member and tail shafts but the gearbox mount i still 15mm too far forward. Did you modify the existing mountor did you use another one ????
If its not one thing its another !!!!!!!:mad:
Also the speedo in mine is electrical and the g/box is cable drive, what do you suggest I would rather keep it electrical.

Mine is an LN130 Surf that runs an R150F box with electric transfer (as fitted by Toyota when they made the thing). The gearbox and crossmember are as fitted in the factory and still in the original location so no movement needed. If you're running a Dellows or CRS bell housing they're 10mm too short for the 4wds which present their own set of problems later on down the track. Or if you are using the auto bell with an adapter plate there's the 15mm that you're chasing. Using the LN130 bits in all of the 'Luxes and Surfs that I've done gives you the 10mm clearance at the firewall without surgery to the vehicle to keep it ADR compliant. My own vehicle aside from what is now resident under the lid (and the obvious associated plumbing to make it all work) is as it rolled off the production line and is easily able to be retrofitted back to Turbo diesel should that need ever arise

Oh speedo swap the drives over and that solves that problem(at the gearbox end) If worst comes to worst I might be able to find a Surf transducer for you. Plus if you feel the need to get in contact to ask questions feel free. If I had $1 for everyone that did that I wouldn't need to work..

now u know y it costs so much to pay someone to do a
complete drive in drive out conversion and doing it properly
that's y I stopped being a mechanic and got into the fiddly
wiring side of things which still suxs sometimes hehehe
I recon conversions have nearly halved compared to 10 years ago
when I left mechanics and started wiring

The one we just sent out was on current exchange rates $25000NZD all up which included a full custom extractor exhaust system and does not by any stretch of the imagination look like a conversion. Came out looking like and functioning like a factory build right down to you can plug a scanner into it and pull live data. Due to being a small shop the conversions are done during "down time" not that there is a lot of that.

Once you're driving it John and then put the boat on the back you may find that she will die off when you put the boot in then take off so a larger fuel pump is the go from the 3VZ one (Which work fine on the earlier UCF10/11 engines).

Hey boys,
Doing this as a bit of mind and body rebuilding as well as having an awsome vehicle to play in. Think yourself that you can get work I have been trying since getting out of the Blue monkey suit here in NSW after 20 years and a nervis breakdown with work relatede stress. Just want a job driving a Bobcat or Front end loader in the mines but cant get a start because I dont have the experience. I cant get the experience as I cannot get a job ???

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but enough of that shit I'm not Robinson Caruso.

All info for me from you blokes is really helping me out a lot, possibly more than what you know. I'm trying to keep relaxed when things go ass up and think like I used to. Getting better sort of.

I will be doing mods to g/box mount tomorrow then doing a bit on a young blokes landcruiser ute before he goes back to Bourke. I'll show hin how old style tradies/handy blokes do their work and what a finished product really is.

Regards
Craig

20 years Craig? Officially got 5 up on you and having not had a break since moving countries(5 years ago) am quite possibly at the beginnings of a bit of a stresser myself (add a custody battle in there too. I won) my wife wonders why I drink and smoke.

Rather than mod the mount slot the holes at the chassis ends of the crossmember. That is old school

Yeah did the separation thing last year after 33 years together, still not happy with that happening. Got the young blokes landcruiser done and did some work on my bullbar. Doing g/box mount today then engine mounts tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Craig

I had to deal with the "Got living proof that men can be gotten drunk and taken advantage of" problem. Wasn't my daughters problem so been there for her since day one. Finally won the war 12 years after that with 100% custody but had to move countries to achieve it... Me and said child may have a big problem after Saturday too.. A Torana problem.. Oh dear but she did spend the first 3 years of her life getting driven around in Dads SL/R 5000 and now wants to learn to drive in a 1UZ Surf.. I think not, got the bunky old 'Lux for her.. Got Petrol in her veins that girl..

Start another conversion on Monday into '02 'Lux. Engine and wiring is all prepped ready to go in

heheh
my 3 year old plays with all my wires and tools
my 2 year old touched my warm sodlering iron one day and now i ask him
do u want to hold it he says no
i will make surte they dont get into wiring heheheheheh
just spent 1000 bucks today on my 2 year olds inner soles and my custom inner soles
my pelvis is looking better already but my feet are killing from new inner soles but i have to persevere
llets hope we sell house on saturday then we can f off outa here

Good luck Jim..

Alex at 2.. I was under a Mini known as "Snot" extracting some components. Heard someone moving around.. "Can you hand me a 7/16 spanner" rummaging noises thru my tool box and spanner in the hand, "Hammer and punch please?". Hammer and punch passed. Next thing Alex is under it watching what I was doing. Took farking ages to clean all the little black fingerprints off the wall paper..

Sam at 2 (why they have to be 2 for this is beyond me) while I was putting the 1U in the Surf decided he wanted to help. Well it was all on when he couldn't move the engine crane (it did have a 1U hanging off it)..