87.5mm piston question/pics

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

nissan-lover

Hi,

I wish to find out some more details about the 87.5mm bore options available to me.
I wish to use either/any of the 2VZFE, 3VZE, 1MZFE, 3GRFE,
It seems to me that the compression height and small end are correct, CH is within 1mm of my target.

The only thing I cant find is pics of the top and side to work out how much may need to be removed for valve cutouts in my chosen engine.
The limit on my block is 87.5 without re-sleeving, some folks have managed 88, but others have had problems at 88mm, so 87.5 it is.

Could anyone who has opened up any of these engines include pics, also the piston weight would be good to know, as I would like to choose a lightweight piston if possible, I suspect the earlier models will have heavier pistons.

It is for an NA fourbanger, so I also hope to buy pistons from someone who is upgrading, if not I buy new from the dealer.

Regards,

Mike

Hey Mike,

The kitcar folks over here that are using ford pinto OHC (2.0L na) engines overe here tend to use Yamaha XT 500 pistons in their engines and rev the crap out of them (9krpm+), the stock xt pistons are 87mm but sureley an overbore of 87.5 would be availeble if you want to have that.

these pistons are very very light compared to car engine pistons.

I don't know of wirst pin diameters but as for lightness they can't be beat by miles compared to a few well known engine builders over here, and they win races so it might be worth looking at them.

grtz Thomas

Sorry, but I want a piston that will give longlife, the engine it is going in is good for very high mileage, the toyota pistons are good for high mileage too. Also the 1UZ engine is suitable too.

Mike

Update, I have found that the 1MZ-FE pistons are a pretty close match, does anyone have the weight figures for those??
The compression height is ever so slightly less, I am going to need cam gears anyway, so a little bit more off the block wont matter.
The small end diameter matches.

The piston is flat-top with some small cutouts, so a small movement to the cutouts wont take too much piston crown away...

I hope someone has those figures, and a photo would be the icing on the cake. LOL

Mike

PS, any opinions on the better piston? the mahe or the Aichin??

what bore is the 3VZ? its 94mm isnt it? what is the weak point on the 1MZ pistons?

I would love to think about using a 1UZ-FE piston, but I havent seen a decent picture of the std factory piston yet. The asftermarket piston pics tell me it will be close, but the money shot is the std piston closeup. It is intended for NA use, no snail to be fitted, about 11.6:1 final required with my cylinder head.

Mike

Same as all more modern production Toyota engines. The compression is too high for the ringlands to ahve been moved up the side of the piston and the hypotenuse between the top of the piston indent and the ring s too small.
Leading them to be far more prone than older pistons to cracking off.

All 2.5L-3.0L Toyota v6's are 87.5mm bore's.
3mz-fe's are 92mm
5vz-fe's are 93.5mm
Some of the newer GR block v6's are 94mm But they share the lighter, weaker designs to the pistons, VASTLY incraesed compression ratio (and you don't have the same level of vvt-i mixture control, and oil squirters to help them survive)

Same as all more modern production Toyota engines. The compression is too high for the ringlands to ahve been moved up the side of the piston and the hypotenuse between the top of the piston indent and the ring s too small.
Leading them to be far more prone than older pistons to cracking off.

All 2.5L-3.0L Toyota v6's are 87.5mm bore's.
3mz-fe's are 92mm
5vz-fe's are 93.5mm
Some of the newer GR block v6's are 94mm But they share the lighter, weaker designs to the pistons, VASTLY incraesed compression ratio (and you don't have the same level of vvt-i mixture control, and oil squirters to help them survive)
3vzfe is 87.5m . I know the the 3vzfe would handle a decent amount of boost compared to the 1mzfe so if any has a 92-93 es300/camry we could compare pistons to 1uzfe to see if we could drop compression with them. I was running a boosted 3vzfe in my 2nd gen mr2 before I sold it. the 3vzfe pistons are almost identical to 1uz but drop the compression by .4..Edit: 3vzfe gives a VERY modest drop in compression.Not worth it. The 5sfe however is a good low compression upgrade but you need to get .5mm over since stocks are 87mm

Last edited: