84 hilux 1uz conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dean

hello all, im new to this site but have been a member of boost cruising for a few years and no one on there could help me with my build.

Im looking at putting a 1uz into a 1984 hilux dual cab. i was originally running a standard 1g-gte supra engine but spun a bearing and cant find the stuff to rebuild it. i still have the w58 gearbox, and i have just bought the cad plans and will build the adapter at work on Tuesday.

my ideas are making it twin turbo, about t3t4 size turbos. and twin 2.5 inch exhaust. Im not looking for a power seeking monster, but just something little different, and something that is going to keep humming along for a while.

im a boiler-maker welder, and have my own T.I.G and mig welder, and i work for a engineering company and have profile cutters and huge cnc mills and all kinds of stuff so fabricating wont be a problem, i just don't know where to start or anything really about the 1uz. help and advise is greatly appreciated and my build progress will be posted if people are keen to view.

thanks for your time.:):)

Best thing to do is read all the threads you can find on this Forum about the Lux swap.

There are dozens of Lux's with the UZ in them so you'll have a few hours entertainment whilst learning.

Adapting the box isn't too hard and you sound like you would do all the stuff most people find difficult without raising a sweat.

There was a thread going on 4WD monthly I think about a year ago about a guy who had done a turbo in a Lux. The problem with the Turbos on the 1UZ is that they bolt on to the rear of the motor and there just isn't room. He ended up mounting it under the wheel arch somehow. Nemessis fitted a super charger to his I think for that reason.

Also sounds like a gross over capitalisation on a Lux which is so old. Even though you have the skills and equipment to do most of the work yourself, it will still end up costing you way more than the vehicle is worth. These conversions tend to blow out in cost. It's all the little things you need to buy which you don't initially think about when you estimate the cost, but which add up.

Good luck with it anyway.
Ric

thanks for the heads up and tips, the idea i got for the turbos is, on the left side of the engine ( passenger side ). is cut the guard and invert it just enough to allow for lock of the wheels, but produce enough room to allow for the first turbo that will be driven by the right hand exhaust, to be at the front on a 15 degree angle towards the passenger side indicator and then for the left side one do come up just behind it parallel, ( ill draw up a picture to show u if that makes no sense) looking similar to a rb26 dett high mounts. this way i can build a twin exhaust that goes 90 degrees down and almost straight under the passenger side of the car and up over the diff under the tub where the mufflers will be.. i have also thought of the problem, that my old ute is over 20 years old, but im planning to invest in a new shell when one pops up and recycle the mufflers,and other bits out of my ute. and mounting the turbo's in this way will allow for easy removal and re install in something i find.. one question what is the best sump type for a hilux? because i have no idea, and its hard to find things on the 84-85 hilux. :)

hahah hit one of those " unexpected things" i bought an adapter plate for my w58 gearbox to attach to the bell housing of a 1uz. few problems
1. where do i get a flywheel and ring gear and how much :(
2. where in the world does the slave cylinder arm thing go to activate the clutch
3. can i use my supra clutch ?