500 rwhp Supra Vs. 500 rwhp SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Lextreme said:
John,

When my project is done, it will be SC470TT not SC400TT. I can de-tune it to 500 rwhp and call up SP Engineering for a 500 rwhp Supra and we can head out to the track. From there we can really test the theory of HP Vs TQ.
Hehe, and to think I was worried about finding a Supra that was detuned to 500 rwhp.....

John

Doh,didn't realize the comparison was between two different engine setups. Let's say both cars weigh the same and have the same 60ft time...the turbo V8 should win since it'll produce more torque (more displacement).

Torque can be multiplied. Power cannot. What many are speaking about here is power under the curve. Some will argue that it is torque under the curve. It really doesn't matter which term you use as there is always a power and torque reading for every RPM point. The fact that it is a dynamic system in the process of accelerating leads me to say power. Whichever, the car with the stronger CURVE will win. Unless you have an CVT (constantly variable transmission) you will have to run through the RPM curve during each gear during the race. The highest average power transmitted will win regardless of peak output.

BTW, what RPM do you operate a CVT at? Peak power not peak torque. Why? See the first 2 sentences of this post.

Well see you guys are talking about peak power. It all depends on how much power is under the rpm curve. The V-8 sure has the torque, but under how many rpms is it sustaining high power levels. Oh btw, I'm new here. I'm a member at supraforums (importtuner) and clublexus (jpvarghese).

-Justin

The Supra tt has better suspension (coilovers) and is also equiped with an LSD that comes stock which sc400's don't. The supra possibly has better aerodynamics and is slightly lighter in weight.

However, assuming that the sc400 is equiped with the same crap for traction I may choose the Sc400 simply because I own one... No seriously, taking into consideration that the sc400 V8 motor will naturally create more lowend torque then the inline six banger. I would have to think the SC400 would be ahead out of the blocks for sure. Now what happens after that is a ?.....

im taking the supra, slightly wider tyres, a little bit lighter. i cant see torque being an issue in this case. most 500ish hp supras make right around 500lbs/ft of torque too, the inline engine in the supra has a torque friendly stroke with its square design. i also believe the gear ratios in the supras tranny and rear end are a little more go fast friendly. something to consider, n/a mk4 supras ran almost identical times with stock sc400's, and sc400's had more power from factory. so logic tells me that if they were neck and neck when the sc had more power, its going to lose when it and the supra have the same amount.

p.s. the only right answer to the tq v. hp discussion (which would more accurately be named do you want less or more rpm) is that there is no right answer. gearing can give a low tq/ high hp motor good acceleration and still maintain its top end. and a high tq/ low hp motor can be geared to have better top end and maintain its get up and go. two things to consider, big torque breaks parts, and constantly having the tyres lit up isnt conducive of fast 1/4's or 0-60's. either way, you best bet is to simply make more power at whatever rpm youre at.

But most of you seemed to compare the 2 cars at dead stop to 1/4 mile or 0-60, how about racing from 60 mph to 160 mph? In this case, I believe the slightly lighter Supra doesn't make much difference, and the advantage will surely be with the SC. When the wheels are already rolling, more torques are a big plus.

Also depends which way and how the two cars are making their 500hp? Turbo's, supercharging, nos? That could also make a difference maybe?

if it's an FI supra and an NA V8 then supra for sure.

if it's an FI supra and an FI V8 then it all comes down to who has what - supra being a low rpm spooling twin turbo and the V8 being super or turbo'd.

an FI supra VS a turbo'd SC400 i would say the supra because it has more average power.

an FI supra VS a supercharged SC400 then i would SAY the SC400, but then the supra has a better diff ratio than the SC so may get off the line quicker.

tough call - average power and torque and diff ratios all come into it.

i would say an sc'd SC400 would win over a TT supra, but not until deep track. the supra would have the quicker 60ft for sure and the SC400 would have a higher trap speed.

pro240c said:
if it's an FI supra and an NA V8 then supra for sure.

if it's an FI supra and an FI V8 then it all comes down to who has what - supra being a low rpm spooling twin turbo and the V8 being super or turbo'd.

an FI supra VS a turbo'd SC400 i would say the supra because it has more average power.

an FI supra VS a supercharged SC400 then i would SAY the SC400, but then the supra has a better diff ratio than the SC so may get off the line quicker.

tough call - average power and torque and diff ratios all come into it.

i would say an sc'd SC400 would win over a TT supra, but not until deep track. the supra would have the quicker 60ft for sure and the SC400 would have a higher trap speed.
I agreed with you on your last statement: "i would say an sc'd SC400 would win over a TT supra, but not until deep track. the supra would have the quicker 60ft for sure and the SC400 would have a higher trap speed".

However, I'm kind of confusing and disagreeing when you mentioned the difference between supercharged SC400 having advantages over turbocharged SC400. Supercharger has 2 types. One is the root type and the other is centrifugal type. As far as I know, maybe I haven't seen yet, the root type can't support 500 rwhp SC400. And the centrifugal supercharger can support a lot more hp, but it surely has slow reaction time. So if racing for 0-60 mph, it might not come to its peak power of 500 rwhp yet. Well, as for the turbocharger, if properly selected, it can support to extreme power and has faster reaction time than supercharger. It can provide power throughout the entire range. So I believe the turbocharged SC400 is most likely the winner.

I think you all are forgetting about gearing.

Really, you could take a 1500+ hp 2JZ and pit it against a 400-hp 1uz and have the 1uz win, if the 2JZ had really horrible gearing.

V8TOY said:
Pardon, it looks a spastic wrote that...

I think it "could" go either "way" depending on who gets the better start from the light.
LOL! I'm sorry, I don't know why but I got such a kick out of reading that post. Gotta love it when you get brain farts, right? :veryhappy

I dont think if your smart enough to make 1500hp out of a supra you'ld worry to much about gearing, you'd prolly have that mastered as well. Besides I saw a 1420whp Veilside Supra in japan that is running 7.20's in the 1/4th. the hood almost blows off the car every pass!

b23914056.jpg

Everyone has seen this car that is into japanese drag racing. But to be able to touch it and shake hands with the owner of Veilside is quite an honor!

I will smoke that Japaness drag racing car no problem 0-60mph and in the quarter!!!!!! Then the owner will be shaking my hand with honor. I will beat that with my future dream car no probem.......He He.

Hey got a question there is alot of talk about these brain farts, I am curious do they stink? Sorry but I had to make light of this thread......:alcoholic

:fest30: Thanks Lowboost, I was beginning to think my clowning around every now and then was just irritating to most...I must laugh be silly and have fun at times, because for starters it is alot better then the opposite which is crying, being depressed, boring, etc........I choose to be clown, whom is really trying to make his Lexus sc400 faster but it's happening too slowly....see ya...

Is the supra fuel pump located in the same place as the SC400? I took my SC400 fuel pump out yesterday afternoon. I also took out the fuel level sender (need to sell it) The fuel pump is pretty easy to get to, jibby have you changed yours ever?

jeff