4x4 1uz gearing?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ryantowry_81

I am planning a build with a 90 ls400 1uz into an 89 ex cab hilux and i was thinking about what gear size to run with what tire and it started me thinking.

from everything i have read people wheeling with auto's always seem to put 5.29's in anything bigger than 33" tires and manuals seem to be 35's with 5.29 gears.

the only problem with this generalization is mostly all of them are gearing for 4 and 6 cyl which are much less power and a different power curve.

what gear and tire size are you guys running and how do you like it? and how heavy are your trucks.

i am going to order 5.29's just wondering how big of a tire i can go and still not completely kill my milage.

Well in my 1uz swapped '93 4Runner I ran 4.88's with 33" tires. It went great and felt strong, but I believe it may have been a little low for a daily driver. The gas mileage wasn't very good. This was with the LS400 auto with a case adapted to it though. With a manual it probably would have been a little better.

i was thinking with the tall overdrive in the stock autos a really low gear would be nice and help get off the line good and still cruise at a decent RPM.

what were you spinning with the 4.88's and 33's at 65? what is the best RPM for fuel economy at highway speeds?

I did the calcs when I did mine and 4.3 with 31" tyres gives you the same as the car it came from (mine was a crown). 4.56 with 33" is the same as 4.3 with 31".

Depends how big you go, but ATM i've got 4.3 with 31" and i'm sitting about 2grand at 100-105km/hr.

When I ran a stock 1UZ I had 3.55:1 with 33" tyres and it performed very well.

With my new engine I run 4.1:1 with 35" tyres and I can smoke the tyres into 2nd.

I know you are concerned about gears but do keep in mind that if you are running 35" or bigger tires on toyota axles then you need to switch your birfs out to 30 spline shafts, and probably should gusset the axle up.

I'm about to put a 1UZ celsior front cut into 93 x-cab 4wd with SAS runnin 35's, n cant decide what auto to use. When making that decision what diffs to use? Keen to convert to discs in the rear! I dont think the G series diesel diffs are gunna last! Any suggestions for other diffs & what auto to box to use?

you would be surprised, i have a friend with a 351 winsor infront of a w series manula trans and toyota 8" axles, and short of longs and some knuckle studs he mud races the thing and has only had issues with the carrier bearing in the drive shaft. i was actually surprised how well they hae held up.

any one out there swapped a newer 98-00 ls400 motor and trans into a 4wd? i know it is vvti but it also has the 5 speed which i am assuming is similar to the newer tundra 5 speed. any thoughts?