4 cyl diesel tacho - 1UZ tacho, how?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

clintnz

Hi guys, one job still to do on the conversion into my LJ71 is to get the tacho working. Just wondering what others have done?
I'd be happy to get the original one going, it doesn't go high enough but I reckon when I'm doing those sorts of revs I'm not gunna be looking at the dash anyway & I can plug in the laptop to check that out if I have to.
The Link ECU has an IGN3 output that can be set up & used to drive a tacho but only if it is a modern low current type. Anybody know what type a toy diesel tacho is?
I know the old 2LTE motor had a pickup on the back of the injector pump which drove the tacho, was it one pulse per rev or something different?

Cheers
Clint

tacho

i aint no expert as i havent got mine done yet
but ive been told if you were to get a petrol 4cyl tacho it would work as the one uz has the same output signal as a 4cyl
this may be wrong tho

Yes the 1uz taco only works of 4cyl.

I`m trying to get hold of a dash cluster out of a 4cyl petrol SR5 hilux. ATM I just have a bling bling after market tacho. Its set on 4 cyl to read correctly.

The 2.8 desiel tacho is pulse as far as I know, guessing the 2.4 was the same.

Thanks Guys, the 22R powered RJ70's are rare/nonexistent here so it looks like it's off to the instrument tech.

Cheers
Clint

I am in process of using the jaycar speedo corector on mine, have been told it will work, they are $60 and are a kit so ya need to be handy with a solder iron, I have used one on speed sensor to get auto to shift and works tops

Cheers Hi-lex, keep us posted on that one. I RFTM last night & discovered that the Link ECU fires in wasted spark config so adjusting down the signal from one of the igniter feeds would probably work. My soldering isn't that flash but I know people who could do it & they work for beer.

First I need to find out if the tacho can be driven off the IGN3 output on the Link, if so that'll be the easy fix.

Cheers
Clint

Hello Clintnz

The last one we did we simply go a petrol hilux cluster and then wired it into one of the coil negitives. I believe the link will not fire the factory carburetted petrol tacho with ign3 as the factory signal is direct from the coil. As each coil only fire 4 cylinders this works perfectly. This may change if you get an injected petrol cluster. Cheers Kelvin

Hi guys.

Did anyone end up getting a factory tach to work in a Lexus Hilux?

I have an LN130 2.4TD that has a 1UZFE in it with a big aftermarket tach on the dash.

Also the volt meter, water temp and oil pressure are run from aftermarket gauges, the speedo is the only gauge working and it's out by about 13kph!

Anyone else done any of this?

Cheers for any info.

Matt.

I don't think I have ever seen an LN130 or equivilant carb'd petrol Hilux around.

Over here in New Zealand they are all diesel or injected V6's.

Has anyone used an injected dash and driven it directly from the Link?

Cheers
Matt.

Attachments

• 340i nov 05 006.jpg
    340i nov 05 006.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 36
Matt,
I got mine from a petrol hilux, as did Lowboy, and numerous other hilux people here. Have a ring around the wreckers, as you'll probably need the whole cluster to go for a cable speedo too (many of the diesel speedos had pulsed digital input)

Muzz

Thanks Muzza.

So did you get a 4cyl carb'd dash cluster and are these cable fed from the gearbox for the speedo? Any specific model I should be checking for?

I believe the LN130 has an electronic speedo so this would need to be changed. To correct the speedo with a cable fed unit are there different gears available?

Sorry for all the noob questions....

Cheers
Matt.

Hi Matt,
The LN** are the diesel ones, so you'd want a YN** which are the petrol from memory - I think mine was a YN85 cluster...?..

I used the standard gear out of the W58 for my speedo drive, and it is about 5km out at 100km, but that's more likely to be the larger diameter wheels.

Muzz

Thanks Muzza.

What model Hilux have you repowered?

I don't have a W58 gearbox I have an R151 I believe so I don't know if a cable drive is available for the speedo.

The cluster you got from a YN85 was it a carb'd or EFI'd model?

Sorry for all the questions...

Cheers
Matt.

1uz taco calabration

Hi guys, I found out the hard way that the 1uz works a 4cyl taco.
My 84 60 series now runs a 1uz. I had the original cruiser taco recalibrated
for a V8. No go, that is it was reading wrong. Jimmy the genius, put me on the right track so it was a trek back to the instrument man with a please recalibrate this for a 4cyl. Will fit it tomorrow, hope it is right now.