3UZ in 86.5 MKIII (Need some Direction)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Hello folks,

Been reading around these forums for a while now, and finally decided to post. I have a variety of goals for my build, and was hoping to get some direction on a few details I'm fuzzy on.

Quick info about the car: I have an 86.5 MKIII Supra N/A in dark blue metallic, blue interior w/Sport package (LSD/TEMS). Interior is in excellent shape, exterior is pretty decent. Currently on fresh Illumina II's/Eibach Pro Kits. I've owned the car for about 8 years. The 7m and trans are pulled, as the dreaded BHG got me at 132k or so. The idea was originally is to swap a 2jzge vvti, but the engine I purchased proved to be a little shabby and I sold it.

Now, after some reading I want to use a 3uz from an LS430 (which is rear sump I think). I have a 94 LS with lowish miles (130k) as a commuter and love the motor. The early 1uz is stronger, but has less power and I don't want to fuss with boosting it. I want simplicity and stock reliability (And lower cost). 300+hp/TQ from a lighter powerplant sounds good, and really my w58 trans can't handle much more than that. Plus that V8 roar. Cost is a factor for me. I want AC, power steering, etc.

Questions:

After reading various threads, I've seen people insist electric fans were needed, but I've also seen builds posted by Lex that used hydro fans from a JZA70 I believe.
I want to run an OEM rad/fan combo and steer clear of electric fans. My initial thought was to run an OEM LS400 fan clutch/Fan, and a 7m rad, but this probably won't fit. Since those threads are pretty old, has anyone found a better OEM style setup? What do you do for a fan shroud? Are custom hoses mandatory at this point?

I've seen recent threads with George_R where he tunes stock 3uz ecu's, (a little more power at lowish cost is welcome) but I'm a little vague on how I would get one to work with the mkiii. I know he can do fixes for missing trans/immobilizer. I'm just not sure how I would get everything to work. I've seen mention of a celica(corolla?) tach sender? What about idle up for A/C? TEMS? I've read there are a couple outputs on the stock ecu that tems uses. Seeing as I went through the trouble to find Illumina II's (which I really like) keeping the functionality would be nice. Would I need to retain the original ecu for some functions? If I wanted to use an early 1uz cable pull throttle, can the 3uz ecu run it, or would I need a Link ecu? I saw a build by yotarip where he used a 1uz vvti ecu/cable on a 3uz, but I don't know if those are tuneable. What about cruise control? The system uses a servo to pull a cable I believe, so it will probably work with the old uz setup right?

Headers/Exhaust: I've seen gloverman post that he prefers 2.5", but what headers should I get? I'm hoping for better than stock hp, and a little noise but not a ton. Maybe single exit, high flow cats, vibrant straight through resonator, borla muffler. EGR delete. Just spitballing. Any intake suggestions?

I plan on using the XAT adapter kit with hydro clutch, and hopefully I can score a motor with the tranny on it so can take the bell. Their lightened chromo flywheel sounds appealing as well. I am, however, unsure what clutch to use. I am hoping to make 350 flywheel if all goes well, so I don't need a hardcore unit, and I don't want to blow up my tranny if it grabs too hard...

On the AC front, I still have the original 7M system hooked up/pressurized, and it works. I was hoping it would be possible to create a bracket that would mount the compressor to the uz. Does everything spin the same direction/should it fit?

If anyone has any thoughts on the above, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Last edited:
Hello gloverman, thanks for that! I've glossed over your series, looks like I'll have to review some more before asking you more questions ;). Thanks for the quick response, and for the videos!

Idle up for a/c , as well as signal conversion for speed, rpm, and operation of ECT power/snow mode is something I also offer. In Russia, we are now almost out of 1uz's, 3uz 5 speed (pre 2003) are becoming sold out and everyone seems to use 2004+ 3uz's , no idea what should be next, probably 2gr-fse . Have a look at it too.

Idle up for a/c , as well as signal conversion for speed, rpm, and operation of ECT power/snow mode is something I also offer. In Russia, we are now almost out of 1uz's, 3uz 5 speed (pre 2003) are becoming sold out and everyone seems to use 2004+ 3uz's , no idea what should be next, probably 2gr-fse . Have a look at it too.

Thanks for the info, that's good news. I'll most likely be in need of your services in the near future. There are plenty of older 1uz's here, but many have been rotting in a scrap yard. 3uz's are harder to find. Looks like I'm probably going to be using a 2004+ motor, maybe a JDM. I don't need any special modes, just all power all the time :). Though it is something to consider. Are any sensors required to be installed for such a function? Do you have any knowledge of TEMS? I've seen threads where people claimed it worked fine after a swap, and others not so much. I know it has its own computer, but the TSRM says ECU pins 3-7 are related to TEMs, but how or why is not specified. It also uses the TPS, and I'm not really sure how that transfers over to a UZ either. If all else fails, I'll probably just rig up a way to switch it full on from the cabin, but that would be a shame. Does using a 3uz ecu require an electronic pedal/throttlebody? What about cruise control?

Thanks much

Last edited:
I can reflash 2004+ ecu so it will not require anything else, especially a/t

My services are available in UK now, and I plan to make them available in USA as well (north CA)

I can reflash 2004+ ecu so it will not require anything else, especially a/t

My services are available in UK now, and I plan to make them available in USA as well (north CA)
Would such a service require in person tuning?

No, as long as engine has stock cams stock intake stock headers

Excellent. I'm not entirely sure what stock headers I will be using just yet (mostly space issues), are they all close enough in flow, or would you need the exact one the motor comes with? Can a lightened flywheel be used? Just to clarify, it is possible to use a cable throttle with your reflash? I know I'm barraging you with questions, sorry.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ive done a full build on Mk3 with 1uz VVti. Most of the info crosses over to the 3uz.
Ok, I've watched the whole series. I have a couple questions... You mentioned keeping the hydro fan setup for most applications, can you elaborate on that? I read in the V8 swap tut Lextreme posted that one guy used a JZA70 rad/hydro fan. Those are a bit hard to find in the USA. I found one for sale on eBay from AUS, but the shipping will probably be murder. It also appears to not have a cutout for the AC fan like the original.

Original: https://www.driftmotion.com/Fan-Shroud-MK3-Supra-86-92-p/dm397.htm

Would I also need the JZA70 controller, or do I use an LS430 one?

Ok, I've watched the whole series. I have a couple questions... You mentioned keeping the hydro fan setup for most applications, can you elaborate on that? I read in the V8 swap tut Lextreme posted that one guy used a JZA70 rad/hydro fan. Those are a bit hard to find in the USA. I found one for sale on eBay from AUS, but the shipping will probably be murder. It also appears to not have a cutout for the AC fan like the original.

Original: https://www.driftmotion.com/Fan-Shroud-MK3-Supra-86-92-p/dm397.htm

Would I also need the JZA70 controller, or do I use an LS430 one?
I have used Hydraulic fans on all sorts of jobs , lots with aftermarket ecu so switching is easy. The 3uz uses a fan ECU so I woud need to look into how well it would function with a hydrofan and Im a tad busy to do so atm sorry.

I have used Hydraulic fans on all sorts of jobs , lots with aftermarket ecu so switching is easy. The 3uz uses a fan ECU so I woud need to look into how well it would function with a hydrofan and Im a tad busy to do so atm sorry.
That's ok, I'm still in the planning phase. That is encouraging. I found a list of JZA70 hydro pn's. The assembly has a bit more to it than I hoped lol. It sounds like there are several usdm cars that use hydro fans, so it should be just a matter of finding which parts play nice together.

Well, I've decided to go with electric fans...Lol. Its just too much work to try and figure out what combination of OEM gizmos will fit in there. Sounds like Ford Contour fans might fit, they flow 3500cfm and my cousin can fab a shroud or move the rad mounts if needed. Whew at least something is figured out.

Hi George, so am i right in saying that Pwr/Snow mode cannot be set up unless one uses an mpx converter? there is no way to hook it up directly?

No, as long as engine has stock cams stock intake stock headers
Hello again. I'm a little further along on my project, and have purchased a JDM 3uz finally. I had a couple questions about the intake.
Do I need the entire assembly including hoses, filter box, etc in order to use the retune, or can I shorten it a little/use a different filter? I am concerned about fitting it in the bay.

Can I use a lightened flywheel?

Does anyone know what stock intake fits best?

Thanks much

I highly recommend to use stock air filter at first (remove hood, etc)
When you will build your 1st ever custom intake, you WILL have problems with erratical MAF reading. So keep stock intake as reference point

Light flywheel is not something you want especially with a/t .

I highly recommend to use stock air filter at first (remove hood, etc)
When you will build your 1st ever custom intake, you WILL have problems with erratical MAF reading. So keep stock intake as reference point

Light flywheel is not something you want especially with a/t .
Thanks! Hopefully I can cram it all in there. I'm actually running a w58, but maybe I'll just play it safe.

You can do whatever you want , but keep stock air box
So when you will have the problems, you will temporary fit the air box and see what happens