3URFE Engine Exposed

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Guys,
I have three 3URFE engines at home. One complete, One long and One Short. As I am about to dissamble the shortblock. I will go over part by part and expose its weaknesses and strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeves

To my surprise the 3URFE sleeves are very thin. I didn't use a caliper to measure it, but from the view from the top and bottom of the sleeve it is only few thousandth thick. I would say no more then 3-5 pieces of paper thick. You can pretty much forget about over boring. I really dont see any meat left for rebuilding (boring). So if you own this engine, plan to get a new one after few hundred thousand miles. cylinder "walk" flaw common in open-block designs.

so is it simply a stroked 1UZ FE type block or alot of differences ?
Do you think we'd be able to put the crank and rods in a 1UZFE for instance?

It is a completely different engine, converted.

If the first two LETTERS of the engine code are different, UZ, GR, MZ, RZ, that pretty much means the engines are COMPLETELY different. Though there may be a common bolt pattern, it isnt common. I think VZ's and MZ's share the same bellhousing pattern, for example. I -think-.

But yeah dont expect anything to be compatible between different codes, like above.

Rod Bearings

Got the pistons and rods out of the block and forgies are available soon. The 3URFE rod bearings are resin coated with a special type high temp and high lubrication similar to the piston side skirt. However, unlike the previous generation bearing on the UZFE, these bearings are tangless. There are nothing holding them in place beside the crank wall. The last picture is a bad bearing but the crank is spotless.

Connecting Rods

Well,

Here is what everyone is waiting for. CONRODS. Just to start off the 2007 Tundra 3URFE rods are LONG. Actually, it is as long as Chevy and Ford big block rods. It is over 6.4". As far as other specs are very close to the UZFE rods. I don't to make any state about forged or not but these rods are slight smaller then the early 1uzfe and alot bigger then the 2uzfe. Due to its length, the strength of it can a question. No doubt it is alot more beefier then the previous generation but would it able to handle tons to HP? Right now TRD Supercharger generating 500 bhp and 550 tq and so far no problem reported. My guess will be as good as yours. I would estimate that the 2007 Tundra rods can handle 600 to 650 bhp. Anymore than that would be in the same boat as the 4.7L. I also attached a picture comparing the 1UZFE, 2UZFE and 3URFE.

Here is what the factory manual stated:
Connecting Rod and Connecting Rod Bearing
* Connecting rods that have been forged for high strength are used for weight reduction.
* Knock pins are used at the mating surfaces of the bearing caps of the connecting rod to minimize the shifting of the bearing caps during assembly.
* Nutless-type plastic region tightening bolts are used on the connecting rods for a lightweight design.
* Resin coated aluminum bearings are used for the connecting rod bearings. The connecting rod bearings are reduced in width to reduce friction.

LOL at the "Property of Lextreme" logo.
If you put photos on the net, they *will* be copied.
Unless you are going to sue anyone else that uses the photos, the logo is useless.

.....unlike the previous generation bearing on the UZFE, these bearings are tangless. There are nothing holding them in place beside the crank wall. The last picture is a bad bearing but the crank is spotless.

This is scary....... as if fitting rod bearings wasn't a delicate enough operation previously. IMO, these rods and tangless bearings would be the first things to get booted from any performance build of this engine.

David, thanks for this photo expose of the UR motor. Very enlightening!

I was hoping to see pics of the direct injection heads, but you have the FE engine, and I think the direct injection motor is called the FSE, isn't it?

We will get there. I am trying to disect one part at a time so we can talk about it more and learn more together. Regarding to the rod. The word "Forged" can be questionable like the previous generation too.

I'm quite interested in the piston to cylinder wall clearance. Toyota does not select fit pistons on this engine, one size fits all. Many, including mine, have cold start rattles that sound like piston slap... non select fit and increased clearance specs have me wondering.

I'm quite interested in the piston to cylinder wall clearance. Toyota does not select fit pistons on this engine, one size fits all. Many, including mine, have cold start rattles that sound like piston slap... non select fit and increased clearance specs have me wondering.

Is that piston slap or could it be noisy lifters?

This engine uses hydraulic lifters which is a bit of an oddity for Toyota. Maybe they don't have their lifter design sorted yet?

We were moaning the other day about the poor quality SBC motors that come from the factory with audible piston slap, and the dealers claim it's "normal".

I would never have thought that Toyota would allow this in their motors.....

Yes the new engine does have hydraulic lifters. Interesting nevertheless. Pistons will be next..... However, due to my experience disecting this motor. ARP heads studs are now available. We are the first to offer this product.

3UR-FE ARP Head Studs

It dosn't sound like lifters, it sounds like loose pistons to me... I'll also say it is all speculation. Some say it is the dual VVTi.... I'd be happy if I am wrong. Toyota says that machining precision has been improved so only one piston size is required, yet the 2UR-GSE is still select fit... how precise can they be?

Is that piston slap or could it be noisy lifters?

This engine uses hydraulic lifters which is a bit of an oddity for Toyota. Maybe they don't have their lifter design sorted yet?

We were moaning the other day about the poor quality SBC motors that come from the factory with audible piston slap, and the dealers claim it's "normal".

I would never have thought that Toyota would allow this in their motors.....

haha thanks dave for the pics also thanks for the new products, specially sence few will want or need these new products for a wile.