Project Thread 3.3ltr whipple into Ls400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi 200sx-V8

Here is the part # that was on the cops
90915-02244

have included a couple of pics off them as well for you

Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Wicked build mate! **** that thing is gonna haul. Watch that torsen diff though. They can be kinda unpredictable (esp if they're tightened up). They definitely dont behave like a clutch type LSD.

The 1mz coil-on-plug setup is definitely much tidier than LS1 coils would've been. You could've possibly used vvti 1uz or 3uz coils too? not sure if the would've fitted as well or not?

Keep the updates coming, cant wait to see the final result :)

Wicked build mate! **** that thing is gonna haul. Watch that torsen diff though. They can be kinda unpredictable (esp if they're tightened up). They definitely dont behave like a clutch type LSD.

The 1mz coil-on-plug setup is definitely much tidier than LS1 coils would've been. You could've possibly used vvti 1uz or 3uz coils too? not sure if the would've fitted as well or not?

Keep the updates coming, cant wait to see the final result :)

How do you tighten a torsen? there is no preload on the torque sensing worm gears, they sense torque or they don't.

They don't behave like a clutch plate LSD as both wheels need traction to operate....as soon as one wheel 'unloads' then you no longer have a LSD

How do you tighten a torsen? there is no preload on the torque sensing worm gears, they sense torque or they don't.

They don't behave like a clutch plate LSD as both wheels need traction to operate....as soon as one wheel 'unloads' then you no longer have a LSD

Wish i could answer that for ya, but It was a friend of mine that did it when he re-bearing'ed. It wasn't an adjustment, for memory he machined something up, some kind of shim.

It made it behave like a locker in many situations, ie. slight throttle around a tight corner, step off the gas and it would open up free again.

...it skidded pretty hard anyway :)

Hi gmacrae

The standard diff that is in the ls400 is an open center, not a torson (was a very limited option in ls400) and is mount to the subframe via 3 point location, this is a 4 point location torson diff that i have an is in very good condition (ratio 3.9:1), it came out off a 97 6speed supra that had done only 50k on it. Before installing it in the car, we did check the diff out and all was very good, NO play and was very tight an we had to modify the subframe to fit it. I was going to go for a 2 way KAAZ diff center in it, but it would be a bit too full on for the street and in the wet with the expected power im looking at, OK if your wanted too drift it.

Update

Today i got the fittings required to do the oil line from head to sump, very tight fit as there is not much room between the back off the block to firewall, out will a 4 pound hammer an bar to punch in (bend) the firewall so there was clearance when the engine torques up.
I secured the power lead from boot to engine bay, and the extra fuel from boot to engine bay that runs under the car and around the diff.
Mounted the battery box on the right hand side off the boot, fitted the 2.5ltr surge tank and dual 044 fuel pumps on the left hand side off the boot, plumed the lines from surge tank to the pumps, and started wiring the pumps.

Just need to plum the surge tank to main fuel tank, return reg line to surge tank, and connect the 2 main fuel lines to engine bay and the fuel system is done. Then we can start to wire up the ems8860.

NOT long to go now

have a couple of pics

i am SO turned on right now
this is VERY nice man!
in how big a way does this change wiring?
how difficult was it to fab a plate and what did the intake throttle bodies come from?

Hi gmacrae

The standard diff that is in the ls400 is an open center, not a torson (was a very limited option in ls400) and is mount to the subframe via 3 point location, this is a 4 point location torson diff that i have an is in very good condition (ratio 3.9:1), it came out off a 97 6speed supra that had done only 50k on it. Before installing it in the car, we did check the diff out and all was very good, NO play and was very tight an we had to modify the subframe to fit it. I was going to go for a 2 way KAAZ diff center in it, but it would be a bit too full on for the street and in the wet with the expected power im looking at, OK if your wanted too drift it.

Hehe yea man, cheers, i'm very familiar with the toyota/lexus diff's. When i said "stock toyota/lexus" i meant that the diff i had in my supra did come stock in some TT soarers/sc400s (the diff head in mine was actually from a soarer - i lucked out and got a TT auto supra with the open diff - bummer!)... though i didnt know any ls400's had the torsen option.

If yours is the later type (96+ i think) it should be a bit more progressive (not open/lock like mine was lol).

One thing i can think your car might benefit from is a 3.7 crown/pinion (real common), yours must be revving around 2400 at 60mph?... then again, your 5th gear is taller than the stock a340 iirc....

I think you will fine that the final ratio on both the 4 an 5 speed are just about the same, it too do with the way it spreads the gear ratio from first to last gear is the difference and the diff ratio.

In OD @ 2500rpm i calucate it to do 125km or 75mph and with a redline off 8500 rpm, top speed will be over well over 325kms or 200mph.

The calculation i done was via this spreadsheet "speed calc", enter in tyre size, gearbox ratio, diff ratio and rpm, then it will display in both mph and kph for all gears and rpm.

Here are some extra pictures of the fuel system, battery box in boot etc that i forgot to post the other day

Nice progress bro, when it came time to throw my battery into the trunk I epoxied my battery box (same black marine box u have) to the spare tire well and filled the floor up 6'' with great stuff expanding foam to keep the box to be moving around, and some added sound deadening. I decided to ditch the spare tire altogether... that's what AAA is for lol.

Any real ideas on when it should be tuned and ready to melt rubber?

All we have to do now is

1 add fuilds to the car, coolant, engine oil and trans oil
2 wire up engine ecu
3 wire up trans ecu
4 sort out electrical issues if there are some
5 then ready for dyno tune
6 then engineers report and rego

Ok

Just now waiting on the wiring off the 2 ecu's so we can dyno tune it.
Here are some pic's off the finished engine bay

Hmmm

Tried to start the car yesterday, but we seem to have a problem somewhere?

The front timing mark is moving all over the place when we put a timing light on it?
It will backfire via exhurst, then via intake, then timing is ok, then try again an will backfire again.

We have checked the timing belt, position of cams/crank and belt, firing order to cylinders and not able to see what is wrong.

Yesterday, we went to ems in sydney to have the cops checked out to make sure that these are not the issue, as we where thinking it may be due to the dwell timing in the cops, but on the scope they look and work ok and within spec's?

Today we going to double check all the wiring, grounds etc

Yes we are using the lh cam sensor and the crank trigger to fire the car.
Sideshow, you may expect a call from zen regarding this but we hoping to be able to start tuning the car on the dyno today

:headbang: We final got it started today

We started checking the wiring for the engine bay, an we found a problem with the crank an cam trigger wiring, swapped the wires around as it was wired in-correctly and the motor started and we seeing the timing seat at 5btdc.

Found 1 oil leak (around the oil filter) and 2 fuel leaks ( injector O-ring on no6 and next to reg).

The manifold vacum pressure is -3kpa due to the sort off large cams that are in this engine.

After running the engine for 5 minutes, the cats under the car where glowing red, i mean glowing red (where's the bacon & eggs). Looks like we have to punch the centres out off the hi-flow cats to stop them from glowing?

Have a small video clip taken from my phone that i have put up on youtube, audio is not that good, but it give you an idea of what it sounds like before we tune it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM_pqZMx4zM

Compression out the rear sounds pretty mean too

Don't punch the Cats.

Sounds like you're running too much retard in your tining.

These things will make the cats glow with some retard as they send the burning fuel down the exhaust.

Look hard at your tinimg/cam phasing to see where the problem lies.

I would suspect you have a broken cam drive pin which is letting the cam timing move in relationship to the cam sprocket timing.

Been there done that!