Project Thread 3.3ltr whipple into Ls400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hypronet

Well i thought it was time to start my own thread about my project build

I have a import 91 Ls400 Lexus (Celsior), has 105,000km on clock, was a 1 owner before me, has all options except for sunroof.

I was going to go for twin To4 turbo's, but due to room and some bad stories i desided on going for a supercharger instead.
After reviewing some of the blower mods that have been done and that are avaiable for the 1uz engines i went for the 3.3ltr whipple as my aim is to get +500rwkw and to run between 20-30 psi without maxing the blower on std pump gas.

car has now got
1 3/4 extractors to 2 1/2 straight though dual exhurst (sounds sweet as)
dual 12" thermo fans
supra diff with a Kaaz lsd center
TT supra brakes all round
new aftermarket airbag suspension
alloy mags 18x8 front, 18x10 rear
touch screen 7" dvd,gps audio system with amp and sub

whats in the working now
original engine is getting a rebuild which is just about done
(i have a spare engine in car for now)
engine comp will be 8.5:1 with Cp forged pistons
Argo I beam rods w ls19 rods
heads are been ported an fitted w SR20 s/s valves
8 pack coil setup (all the spark in the world)
870cc injectors and high flow rails
dual bosch 044 fuel pumps
2.5 ltr surge tank
rising fuel reg
dual 1/2 fuel lines
set of tighie cams (custom grind for blower)
4 speed auto is getting overhualed with a stage 1 kit at MV,
3500rpm stallie with shiftkit an HD trans cooler
aftermarket ecu

i will be doing dyno run, before an after engine swap (already planned)

engine comp will be 8.5:1 with Cp forged pistons
Argo I beam rods w ls19 rods
heads are been ported an fitted w SR20 s/s valves
8 pack coil setup (all the spark in the world)
870cc injectors and high flow rails
dual bosch 044 fuel pumps
2.5 ltr surge tank
rising fuel reg
dual 1/2 fuel lines
set of tighie cams (custom grind for blower)
4 speed auto is getting overhualed with a stage 1 kit at MV,
3500rpm stallie with shiftkit an HD trans cooler
aftermarket ecu

IMO, you can achieve more than 500 RWHP with that setup. Maybe 850 RWHP !!

Car comes off the road in 2 weeks for fitting of new transplant.

Looks like the word has gotten around about my build.
Have been asked by 2 magazine's, that would like to do a write up on my project, as well as a dvd on the build from start to finish.

Now im hoping to have it finished in time for the summer nats @ camberra 09

Have just now made arrangement to import a ucf20 series 2 half-cut frontend to upgrade my frontend instead off importing a bodykit in.

Update

Engine and auto have been removed from the car, auto is on its way to MV auto's in SA for a stage1 shift kit and 3500rpm stallie.

Waiting on CP pistons to arrive in country to finish build on engine, we already have argo rods an custom tighte cams.

Engine has been striped down and was in better good cond, heads are been ported now an setup for O/S valves.

Cd stacker in the boot is been removed and this section will be box off with perpex and well house the 2x440 bosch fuel pumps and next too it (where cd draw open too) will be where i will mount the Dual feed surge tank which is in the corner off the boot. The battery will be moved from engine bay and placed on other side off boot.

Update
Have re-built the diff center with a 4:11 gears, gearbox arrived back with shift kit and 3500 stallie. CP pistons had taken an extra 2 weeks to come in from US, so heads have been port and flowed (still waiting for results), blower manifold flowed and port matched to the heads.

I did do a dyno run off car before build, a lazy 127kwrw "stock" 10,000kms after last service, hmm what will be the new figures! hahaha :)

Pistons are finally in, full stream ahead on doing the bottom end now.
Block has been bored to suit, and bottom been balanced.
Will have results of before an after flow on heads next week, an with sum luck be ready to have engine in the car by the engine off month.

Attachments

• hiace sump.jpg
    hiace sump.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 61
Have just now made arrangement to import a ucf20 series 2 half-cut frontend to upgrade my frontend instead off importing a bodykit in.

Any progress on the half cut project? Your picture is the same color as my 1999 LS400. I wonder how close the parts will fit (if even practical) since there were major body changes in 1995.

Otherwise very cool project. I am somewhat concerned about your choice of 4.11 gears AND 3500rpm stall converter. With a PD supercharger you should have excellent low speed power. That combination may make street tires useless for any kind of standing start effort. Without major suspension changes slicks on a dragstrip may just create violent wheel hop. I would almost suggest finding a rear subframe and differential from a MKIV Supra twin turbo 6 speed. Strongest differential, LSD and 3.13 gearing may be what is needed for street efforts.

Anyway, great project and I am sure you will post all results.

Your project looks awesome. How fast do you reckon the car will be at the dragstrip?
I expect low 11's but my mate " who's helping with build" is telling me mid-low 10's, thats if we are able to get all the hp "about 700hprw/500kwrw" to ground correctly?
i am running 18" rims with 275 45 series on the rear, but do have access to a set of 32" slicks for when i do run at strip

Any progress on the half cut project? Your picture is the same color as my 1999 LS400. I wonder how close the parts will fit (if even practical) since there were major body changes in 1995.

Otherwise very cool project. I am somewhat concerned about your choice of 4.11 gears AND 3500rpm stall converter. With a PD supercharger you should have excellent low speed power. That combination may make street tires useless for any kind of standing start effort. Without major suspension changes slicks on a dragstrip may just create violent wheel hop. I would almost suggest finding a rear subframe and differential from a MKIV Supra twin turbo 6 speed. Strongest differential, LSD and 3.13 gearing may be what is needed for street efforts.

Anyway, great project and I am sure you will post all results.

You just change the whole front over,unbolt and bolt up gurads,bonnet,light,etc.

I expect the car to do about 250-260km at about 6200rpm in 4th, in stock form i was running 3.7 in the rear, an i do some country runs but i was getting 700km on 70ltrs of 98 octane fuel.
I do have a MkIV Diff in the car, just rebuilt the center and changed ratio
Will see how it goes first, as i am looking at 20" all round and may review gearing then.

great LS man...hey I have been trying to squeeze an LSD into my LS for a while now.... You said you used a supra? was that n/a or turbo? I thought they would not fit. What was the process like? straight swap?

JBrady hey can i swap a subframe + LSD from supra turbo? I mean would the body bolt into the same locations? Also I would in effect have an LS suspensio in front and supra in rear? lol would this mean i would have to get 2 more coilovers too? sounds like a huge job.

great LS man...hey I have been trying to squeeze an LSD into my LS for a while now.... You said you used a supra? was that n/a or turbo? I thought they would not fit. What was the process like? straight swap?

JBrady hey can i swap a subframe + LSD from supra turbo? I mean would the body bolt into the same locations? Also I would in effect have an LS suspensio in front and supra in rear? lol would this mean i would have to get 2 more coilovers too? sounds like a huge job.

Used a Lsd out off a turbo supra 6speed, but you have to drill and weld a nut for forth bolt location. done