3 1UZ beasts in current ZOOM magazine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

deankdx

Gday,
Aussies should be able to find the mag, i doubt many others will(i subscribe as it was easy to miss issues due to sell out etc and no specific dat each month)
dont ask me to scan the pages cos my scanner still doesnt work
its in issue No.93 with 2 "fully sick" VL commodores on the front

haven't read the articles yet, but there is an article on the BULLET car NA in the Targa Tasmania rally...came 24th from 260

one fitted to a 180sx nissan
and one fitted to a JET boat with 410kw at the propeller turbo and intercooled

I'm subscribing and I'm waiting eagerly...:)
veryhappy.gif

Attachments

• DSCN0377.JPG
    DSCN0377.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0381.JPG
    DSCN0381.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0382.JPG
    DSCN0382.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0383.JPG
    DSCN0383.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 52
zoom magazine is great reading

autronic said:
I'm subscribing and I'm waiting eagerly...:)
veryhappy.gif

Here's the web address if you want o subscribe, i have every copy from number 1. http://www.expresspublications.com.au/magdetails.php?id=10

Have added the article and pics on the 180sx 1uz - interesting to read he ripped out the toyota dizzies and replaced them with ford xr8 coil pacs, xf falcon idle control solenoid (as they couldn't get the autronic sm2 to talk to the toyota one?) and cdi.

Attachments

• bell housings 1.jpg
    bell housings 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
I thought I had seen that picture before. Last issue I got was number 91, I am a bit behind. It had an article on a supercharged 1UZ in a cobra replica. He claimed 298KW at the wheels with 7psi from his Eaton M90 supercharger . Justen claims 270RWKW at10PSI from his twin turbo 1UZ. Also said "the shift point[for the transmission] can be adjusted via a cable on the throttle linkage" My shift points are adjustable by my right foot , I wonder if that is what he means.Still it looks good.

My toyota transmission has computer controlled shifting and does not have a kickdown cable. It has a cable to regulate the line pressure and the only way it could affect the shift point would be in the time to make the transmission shift after the computer has told it to shift which as you say firms up the change.If you would like to read about how Toyota electronically controlled transmissions are controlled check this file.
http://autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

Attachments

• trans.JPG
    trans.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
The article said he was running standard injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator which would give him more flow when there was positive pressure and if you look at the picture it looks like he still has the original pressure regulator?? Maybe the original regulator does its stuff when there is no boost and the rising rate one regulates the pressure from further down the line.

Yes it is a bit low. Usually a 1uz has more power . If you ask me he has taken a few backward steps. He has fitted a TH400 which does not have overdrive and with the diff ratio he has will rev like mad. Its a good thing he has an aftermarket ecu so that it can rev a bit faster. Toyota spent millions developing the motor and came up with a configuration that worked in harmony and was reasonably good. As the article says he plans further development.

ok good, cause a stock MR2 turbo motor makes 175ish at the rear wheels, I dont want to spend all this money customizing an MR2 to just have the same HP!

I want to start off with around 300whp. I think my fast reving transmission with light weight flywheel will really make this motor worth the millions that you say they spent. but when saying they spent millions developing a motor, when dont they spend millions?

Jeff

Lowboost,

I wouldn't complain if it has the same horsepower and twice the torque.

Remember the cars real performance will come from it's torque and where that torque is developed.

HP is overrated when it is only a function of torque.

What I was getting at was that it comes as no surprise that someone with limited resources cannot get as good a result as the manufacturer who has much more money to spend and has many highly qualified people working for him on said project. Toyota has produced a fine product and you would expect that any modifications made will produce a difference in power output and efficiency.

Clean car, but I would be pissed about the HP. There are many stock Hondas making that kind of power at the wheels. That T400 must be soaking up the power. I can't beleive he lost close to 100HP from that swap. Sounds like his computer needs to be tuned.

I hope thats a problem on his end, because Im upset, I want power!, it only seems the 1uz is a high reving V8 monster! I will prove it in my MR2. Im using a really close ratio gear box with light weight flywheel and clutch. Also its a FWD setup, actually rear, but its setup like a FWD honda.

Jeff

fuel could also be his issue, since he is using a 1.8 liter fuel pump, thats just stupid. Good standalone, but bad choice in mods, not happy with him making a magizine, he could have made 210whp at least with a stock ecu and supra TT fuel pump!

Jeff

Attachments

• map.GIF
    map.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 3