2UZFE Starter Overhaul

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Maingear

I need to overhaul the starter on my wife's car (2000 LX470 200K MI). I am on a business trip in Asia for another week and need to build a shopping list. Replacing parts before they fail keep me out of trouble.

Intake manifold gasket Fel-Pro P/N MS96334 $50.00

Grease for bearings

Brush holder assy P/N 28140-54380 $60.00

Plunger Magnetic Switch P/N 28235-58380 $30.00

1. I don't have my maintenance manual on the road with me. Is the plunger switch the only part needed to overhaul the Magnetic Switch Assembly? Does the plunger contact the inside of the terminal lugs and arc?

2. Did I forget anything?

Oh yea a pic http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/diagrams/large/792450/starter-12v-2-0kw-191219a.png

The manifold gaskets are an MLS style and can be re-used quite a number of times withoout any risk or failure. They don't need to come off the studs that hold the manifold down for what you want to do.

If your inside the starter replace the bearings. They get good and hot and I had one fail and start to spin in the housing. Fortunately we caught it in time and saved the housing.

The contacts is where the usual problem is. They simply wear out from carrying the starter current and the resultant arc.

You may want a 14mm crowsfoot spanner to access the starter bolt heads as they are in a terrible spot.

Before you reassemble everything make sure the starter is turning the engine over.

It isn't hard to change the starter over just long. Toyota didn't do us any favours with where the starter is.

The manifold gaskets are an MLS style and can be re-used quite a number of times withoout any risk or failure. They don't need to come off the studs that hold the manifold down for what you want to do.

If your inside the starter replace the bearings. They get good and hot and I had one fail and start to spin in the housing. Fortunately we caught it in time and saved the housing.

The contacts is where the usual problem is. They simply wear out from carrying the starter current and the resultant arc.

You may want a 14mm crowsfoot spanner to access the starter bolt heads as they are in a terrible spot.

Before you reassemble everything make sure the starter is turning the engine over.

It isn't hard to change the starter over just long. Toyota didn't do us any favours with where the starter is.

I am guessing that Lexus/Toyota lists and stocks the bearings. I am going to do my started pre-emptively since at 175k it can't have too much life left.

I would disagree about the starter location. Stays clean, out of the way and lasts a long time. Other than a pain to get to I think it is good engineering.