2UZ fits in Supra, sort of

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

turboandrew

Got the 2UZ-FE motor in this weekend. I made some custom mounts, so it uses the SC400 rubber isolators. Unfortunaetly the Tundra motor mounts will not work (not even close) and the SC400 mounts will not bolt up to the 2UZ block.

I state the engine "sort of" fits because the intake manifold is about 2" taller than the 1998+ 1UZvvti manifold, so I don't know if it will clear the hood. It's no big deal anyway, as I won't use that manifold.

I also had to enlarge about 1/2 of the upper oil pan holes to accomidate the M8 bolts

Looks really great in there and I'll bet as far back as it sits, it'll help a bunch with the Supra's CG. What are you going to do with all that space in front of the motor now? Jeez you could park a Mini in there!
Did you have any problems with it fouling the firewall? It looks like it's waaaay back there.

From the passenger side photo of the engine mount it looks like the exhaust is going to be tight?

John

Sorry for replying to my own post....

What's your clearance with the front cross member?, just curious if there's any more space there to drop it down more to gain some hood clearance. I realise you're not using that manifold, but the Whipple is going to be as high if not higher, right?

John

Attachments

• csasp 210.jpg
    csasp 210.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5
just from memory, that looks very similar to the 1uz vvti that you had in it in your post awhile ago.... or was that the same engine????

as for my mk4, i've got everything ready.... except with a soarer 1uz instead... only thing stopping me from finishing is still the gearbox-engine issue. Currently working on the last option as an adaptor won't work (i dont like the idea of having the box on an angle to clear the bellhousing dowels). My machine shop will machine off the v160 flange and attatch a v8 or custom (if the v8 one cant be used) flange to the gb.

hopefully i will beat you to completion to claim the first uza80 supra, hehe

John, the engine's cam covers are about 1/2" away from the firewall, give or take. It's kind of hard to tell without the tranny keeping the engine level. The motor mounts in theory could be swapped with each other and push it back another 3/4" -if there was room.

There is 12.5" between the pulleys and the A/C condenser, plently of room for twin turbos :) j/k, still going with the whipple.

You are right about the motor moount clearance. I want to do tri-Y headers, and it looks like all the collector merging needs to happen behind those mounts, so most likely, (for each side) the first two collectors will be in the engine bay (between the mount and firewall), then the final collector will be just outside the engine bay, next to the tranny. Then both sides will finally merge again before the typical cat-back exhaust starts. However, to get the car running, I'll just fab up some stock manifolds.

I did try to fit the hood, and the front of the hood was about 2" from closing in the front. I think it is hitting on a hose connection on top of the throttle body. I hope to get the whipple & custom manifold no taller than the 1UZvvti manifold. I wish I had a broken whipple to mock up this stuff.

R-jay, yes I did have a 1UZvvti in there, and that's what I want to use eventually, but this will be the first motor, since it's new and does not require really any motor work at all.

I am working on a similar flange (v160). What are you doing for a flywheel?

Gotta say, since this motor is only 9.6:1 compression already, it's really tempting to just upgrade the rods and boost it a bunch. I really need to weigh the 2UZ and 1UZ and find out the exact difference.

Forgot to mention, the engine I suppose could be dropped a little bit, but the oil filter mount is already hitting the sway bar. No matter what, I will have to install a remote mount oil filter, which I wanted anyway. I'll have to chop off the 1/2 of the existing oil filter mount (the part that allows one to screw on a filter) then weld A/N fittings on the remaining piece (supply/return pathways), then run hoses to somewhere convenient. With all that space up front, I should not have a problem finding a spot for it ;)

I know the thread is a little old, but would fabricating a tubular intake plenum with a Q45 TB cure the issue of hood clearance?

Also does the alternator fit properly? It looks very close to the subframe from the photos.

Thanks guys,

Eric

Attachments

• filter 009.jpg
    filter 009.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 43
  • filter 011.jpg
    filter 011.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 23
  • filter 012.jpg
    filter 012.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 24
  • filter 014.jpg
    filter 014.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 42
  • filter 016.jpg
    filter 016.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 20
I thnk using the 1998+ 1UZ intake will be fine. They are at least an inch shorter. I don't think the alternator will be an issue but I'll keep my eye on it I have confidence the belt drivern accessories should fit since the sc400 and Supra engine bays are so similar. The only fitment issue I have seen is the oil cooler mount. I will probably just make a remote oil cooler adapter.

Yes, I used the sc400 pan and pick up. The upper pan also needed several holes enlarged since the later motors use larger diameter bolts to assemble it.