2l-te Surf to 1uz-fe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Blackened

Well the 2l-te bottom end is gone which is not good for the back pocket but I've decided to go with a 1uz-fe with the factory auto and chucking either a gear driven transfer or the original chain transfer onto the back of it.

Looking at buying these mounts I'll be probably getting my mate to wire it up or look at getting an aftermarket ECU and do 2 at the same time as I've got the hilux in the driveway that has already got a 1uz in it but I'm converting it from the g52 to the celsior auto with dual transfers behind it.

I'm looking at using the cartune engine mounts http://thecartunecompany.co.nz/osc/...id=51&osCsid=fe2bb000f7f424f61c3402649542ba6f

If anyone has any experience with them let me know and your opinions on what I should do before putting it in I've got a couple of mates that are happy to help and my other mate is buying a surf soon and wanting to v8 in his so probably be doing them both at the same time.

Was it the Celsior that came with the front sump?

Cheers

Black

g'day blackened,

I noticed your user name from Perthsurf. Ive been planning to do the same swap in my ln 130 forever and finally should have some time to do it soon. from the information i have gathered the front sump is either a celsior or ls400. where are you sourcing the engine, box etc from?

If you plan on not having a body lift the sump will still have to be modified to fit.
I checked out that link to the engine mounts you put up, they seem expensive but i spose if they fit straight in and do the job its probably worth it.

From my understanding you use the 1uz's loom, ecu etc. and then add in the basic electrics that you need for the car, once all the old surf engine loom etc is removed. I know some guys that have done one all at home so im hoping when i get to that part they help me, apparently its easy.... famous last words.

I plan on doing it with no BL, so fabrication will be required for engine mounts, headers and sump. it will be a tighter fit but better in the long run.

Ps. if this is the surf that you bought of DR thats a shame because you havnt had it that long.. oh well. Also do you know the reasons why the Perth site stopped working?

Cheers John

Hey crispy,

I'm still not sure weather to sell the car dead or do it I've bought a WRX until my missus gets her new car so once her new car comes I might sell the WRX and put the v8 in but I can't make my decision.

If you do go ahead with your conversion let me know on here or perth4x4.net, I might be interested in getting double of everything made.

Yes it is the surf I bought off DR, Very annoyed with it and wish I got it checked out stupid of me really. My guess is DR can't be bothered with it anymore as he doesn't have a surf. I just use www.perth4x4.net now anyway, I get all my questions answered by pirate4x4 in the states.

Cheers

hey mate,
I will be going ahead with my conversion soon because im sick of the 2.4 slug.. while it is super reliable its just too slow.. and it just lets the whole car down.

Ill keep you updated with how mine goes im having my wisdom teeth out this week but after that ill be picking up the new engine etc and getting all the stuff together.

I just ran through my list of parts with simon which was a great help clearing up some part numbers etc.

Hi Guys,

For Crispy,
I bought my engine mounts from NZ, just tell the guys there what you want, body lift or no body lift, height of body lift, and they manufacture it for you, mine took 3 weeks, and it slipped in as if it was made for it, I have a 2” body lift, it was a bit expensive $350, or you can copy the mounts from mine seeing that you stay in Perth.
As for the gearbox mounting, took it to a guy in Perth, made a gearbox mounting with spacers, if you do want to adjust later on, he also did my driving shafts, his also buddies with the guys at the pits if you want to take it over the pits, so they know his work.
Let me know and I can look for those numbers if you interested, or like I said, you can copy it from mine.

Samsdad,

Just finished my 1uz-fe swap, took me about a year, everything is going awesome, took it for a maiden run about two days ago into the dunes at Two Rocks, ran a bit warm, but all good, very lucky if I look at all the issues that some of the guys had so far, but then thanks for all the info that the guys are posting on the block, which did made it easier to foresee some of the issues.
I chucked just about everything from the donor Lexus which was a LS400,1990, into the surf; cluster, speed control , whatever I could salvaged I put into my Surf which was a 2.4 diesel, 1990.
The only issue that I do have is that when I go from neutral to drive and from drive into reverse it kicks in quite hard, I get wheel spit when it kicks into gear, but when I`m driving everything is smooth during gear shifts. Is it solenoids, torque converter or throttle pressure adjustment?

thanks for your help mate, its cool that you have got it all done. who did your wiring? and where did you buy the engine from?

what did you do for a instrument cluster?

where abouts are you located mate?

thanks

Hi,

I did all the wiring myself, downloaded all the diagrams and just followed wire for wire and connected them up,followed samsdad and sideshows blocks, great help from them.
Helped a guy out and he sponsored me a whole Lexus ls400,body was FU, but mechanically all good.
I used the Lexus cluster with a little mod to show 4x4, changed the ABS light for a 4x4 sign.
Staying up North, near Clarkson.

Impressive mate. I've seen a thread where someone modified the lexus cluster to fit and it looked good. What kinda room did those mounts leave for thermofans?

I'm using a 15" multi blade push fan, not mush space for anything else on the engin side, been driving it for three days, all good, just got a bit warm when we took it out into the dunes, will sit and see what I can do to manage this.
The cluster job is not a pimp your ride installation, but it does the job, glass fiber,spray putty and bumper spray, doesn't look to bad.

That's cool mate. Are you happy with the power? Would you mind if I had a quick look at in one arvo ?

John you're in Perth which is the most anal state for vehicle modifications so the K.I.S.S principle does apply. Come for a drive down next weekend and take mine for a drive. While she is a bit of a "Bucket" being your atypical mechanics car I have solved the problems for manual boxes yet not with mine as she still has the Dellows set up (can't be arsed pulling it apart again ATM) and I do have another here where you can measure up and take pics of the engine mounts. Hell mate your a pilot so nothing should be hard for you. If worst comes to worst I'll put the damn thing in for you and we'll sort something out later which may involve Sam and a plane

Hey scrappy you're only up in Clarkson which isn't far from me at all I'd be interested in coming up to have a look at it one weekend as well.

I've started thinking about it again the missus is interested in doing a v6 commo conversion but I reckon spend the extra cash and just chuck a v8 in there as we want to get a property down the track and the surf is really the perfect 4wd for it.

I've been thinking just buying those mounts from NZ would love to see them first hand.

I would like to keep the auto trans in the stock position and put a gear driven transfer behind like I've done in my hilux which is running the 1uz-fe with the celsior auto and dual transfers converted from the g52 manual in it.

@samsdad How have you been? How's the teaching going?

Also does anyone know what things I need off the 2l-te for the 1uz conversion because I'm looking at getting rid of the engine soon.

Last edited:
Simon : haha yer the process doesn't frighten me I just want it all to drop in and get it on the road ASAP and not have it sitting around for a long period of time. I'm getting the parts together at the moment. I'll try pop down this weekend to take photos and stuff if I can. I'll give you a call before and we can discuss this other stuff too.

And scrappy like black I'd like to pop up some time too. Just to see how you did it as well. How did you get it approved if it has a body lift? What size tyres and sus lift yOu got mate ?

@scrappy I might try Sat or Sun depending if you're free what's your mobile so I can give you a txt.

@crispy Yeah very much the same with me, We are probably looking at getting some property and need a 4wd for it and I don't want it sitting around for too long.

Yip, that's another thing, need some touch up work before I take it over the pits, two inch lift with 15" 32 inch tyres

Sat or Sun after 1oclock will be good 0488981668

Yip, that's another thing, need some touch up work before I take it over the pits, two inch lift with 15" 32 inch tyres

Sat or Sun after 1oclock will be good 0488981668

No worries mate I'll give you a call towards/on the weekend to see if you are still around.