1uzfe into 1987 Mercedes w124 230e

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Merxus Benz

It always starts off innocently enough, Brought a cheap merc with a blown engine off ebay with the idea of fitting in a replacement engine and flogging it off again for a nice profit.

Then my partner sees it and decides its alot trendier than my 2001 toyota Avalon. (She works in fashion, mercedes sounds better in discussions) I've owned fast E30 beemers, A worked S2 rx-7 among others before doing the house thing.

So if im replacing the engine, i need a more powerful one. In Victoria, Australia, you're not allowed to fit an engine older than the car itself unless its on LPG (and then it still needs to pass emissions checks) So looking at the merc v8 from the sl500 which is around Au$5,500 for a front cut. The sl500 uses the w124 chassis but with a modified larger trans tunnel. So i went for a 1991 52,000km (Seems to be genuine mileage did check) ls400 (celsior) front cut for Au$2,200. :silly:

That was the easy part. Started pulling the merc apart inbetween working long hours and keeping the relationship alive. (they lose interest if you dont see them for a month for some reason) Pulling the ls400 apart i found that even though toyota pulled several german makes apart to build the lexus, they ignored most everything and built cars like the japanese do. That means nothing is compatible and alot of stuff is on the wrong side of where i need it to be. :eek5:

Im pulling out all of the mercedes bits behind the dash and using the toyota incl. the climate control. It will still look like a merc inside, i will use the same controls and switches hooked into the toyota loom and wire in the dash instruments. I need to change the speedo over from manual to electric operation but thats fine as i want it to read higher that 220km/h i have photos but have missplaced the card reader so will update soon.

th_DSC07671.jpg th_DSC07673.jpg th_DSC07682.jpg

Starting to pull apart the interior

th_DSC07672.jpg th_DSC07674.jpg th_DSC07675.jpg th_DSC07676.jpg

Dead 4cyl going going gone. (good riddance)

Attachments

• th_DSC07675.jpg
    th_DSC07675.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2
  • th_DSC07674.jpg
    th_DSC07674.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1
  • th_DSC07672.jpg
    th_DSC07672.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1
  • th_DSC07673.jpg
    th_DSC07673.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1
  • th_DSC07671.jpg
    th_DSC07671.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1
DSC07691.jpg

Finally got the engine out. :wiggle:
In Australia, we never got the 500e or 400e the biggest engine option was the 3lt 6. So im hanging to get this thing on the road and cruise in style.

We actually had the 3.2 litre engine in Australia in the last of the Wi24's.

I've had every version of the E class. The E, The CE and the TE.

I looked long and hard at my TE and the 1UZ before buying an ML 320 as it was just so easy compared to another conversion. My marriage appreciated my decision..

I think the conversion will be great but I would have stuck witht he Kraut dashboard and equipment behind.

I am sticking with the mercedes dash, it will look like a merc inside but the mercedes wiring is done in 1 piece and its just as easy to wire in the toyota parts with working diagostics as it is to keep the merc stuff. The only problem is the space the toyota heating and A/C takes up. I want to use the toyota climate control but may have to adapt the mercedes unit to work with it. Im an factory trained mazda tech with cert 3 & 4 so mucking around with jap electrics becomes second nature. It also makes me lazy so i like the ability to recall fault codes even though this is an older ecu with simpler diagnostic capabilties. Also im already divorced so with that out of the way, things are alot easier LOL.

Still coming along slowly. Had ordered timing belt, water pump etc. which have arrived. Then i read about the phenolic gaskets so ordered a couple of those as well. Found that the mercedes engine mounts fit up to the lexus engine mount arms, was overjoyed untill i fitted the engine to find that the inner firewall which is curved at the back hits the rocker covers on both sides so i cant use the original mount holes. The engineer im using does not want any bodywork cut. (yes i could use a different engineer, but that sometimes has its own complications and this guy's really close.) So at the moment im measuring the crap out of everything to see how its all going to fit. Also have a front 4 spot caliper brake upgrade and managed to get hold of mercedes sportline suspension.

Good luck to you on this one.That dash conversion sounds hard.

One thing i could never get over were the seats on those mercs,they feel like your sitting on sprung bits of chipboard.

You have plenty of room to allow the engine to come forward a little.

Make new mounts off the engine to accept the stock Benz mounting position

1UZVL,

The reason Benz seats are firm (allright hard) is so you odn't get tired on long drives.

I recently drove my ML320 from Sydney to Adelaide and back in 3 days towing a car trailer.

First day was 13 hours straight. Got out feeling like I had driven around the corner.

2nd day was 9 hours (the trailer had a car on it) and again we alighted feeling great.

Can't beat their seats.

Dash conversion is easy, the benz cluster comes apart so different bits can be replaced. The speedo will be removed and im getting a custom electric one made.

The engineer who is doing the cert for car was going to make adapters etc but now im getting him to mount the engine. Pieces will be welded onto the front of the cross member. and the gearbox should line up beautifully without any mods to the tailshaft. Mercedes have a rubber adapter thats goes between the gearbox and tailshaft . So its just a matter of getting a new one made.

The engineer also knows an exhaust place (In bayswater, Vic) that has a patent on extractors for the 1uz-fe so it will be shipped off there afterwards for the complete exhaust system.

Merxus, Boy I'm glad I found you. I'm currently searching for a nice Mercedes SLC (107) with the aim of dropping a 3UZ (if I can source one)

You are leading the way for me by identifying major issues (do you know if the 3UZ is bigger than the 1UZ?) Having grafted a Falcon dash, steering and EFI drivechain into a 66 Mustang I have a vague idea of what's involved but I have lots to learn having never owned a Merc or a Toyota.

Hope u dont mind but I want to suck up all the detail I can from you.
Marshall
(Qld)

As far as i know they are the same size. There is an issue with clearance of the steering box. My car is currently at the engineers (same ones doing the cert.) to have the engine fitted in the bay and new mounts welded up. The trans tunnel on the w124 and im assuming the 107 is big enough and the diff and driveshaft can easily handle the torque. The mounts need to come forward about 200mm or so for everything to line up. There is alot of cost involved in a conversion even if your're doing most of the work yourself. I have to get the full exhaust custom made, extractors and all and have been estimated $2000-$2500 I dont want to put you off but it would be alot cheaper and easier to source a 450slc and convert it to EFI. Then it would retain better resale. This car was very cheap and being the base model of mercedes best seller its never going to be considered a classic with the price rises to match unlike the 107. I have'nt checked the figures but you may find there is no performance gain having the 3uz over the 450slc. The mercedes engines are very well designed. Just food for thought. I like having something original and customized. It would of been easier to put in a 3.2 lt 24v merc engine and work it slightly for the same hp rating but i like the ferrari like scream of the toyo v8.

Just an update was going to use merc dash but....
I was pulling apart the top of the motor to replace stem seals, rocker gaskets and do the timing belt when i lost my 12mm socket in the V. Went to autobarn to buy a telescopic magnet. (Someone borrowed mine and never returned it)
And i saw the Drift Iridium series gauges. Had to have them in red. Going to get the Speedo, Tacho, Volts, Water temp and the fuel level (released in Oct.)

http://www.shopdrift.com/Products/Electronics/IridiumSeries.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSpAW3yucLo

Car is still at the engineers, there is a problem with clearance of the steering box so the decision was made to go with a commodore rack conversion. This gives heaps more room and allows for a proper exhaust to be made. Not to mention cheaper repairs. The only downside is the time and costs of it. The car is lighter than when it had the cast iron 4 so getting the handling right again is going to take alot of time and effort as well.

Attachments

• WhatWire2.JPG
    WhatWire2.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 39
th_PA010091.jpgth_PA010092.jpgth_PA010093.jpg

Just a quick couple of snaps of the car at the engineers on the hoist. Steering is still being modified hence the funny approach angle. Also the diff has been lowered 5mm to allow things to line up better.

Attachments

• th_PA010091.jpg
    th_PA010091.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 2
  • th_PA010092.jpg
    th_PA010092.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2