1UZFE boat not starting-Sideshow

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

converted

Hey guys this is a message for Sideshow as he did the wiring conversion on my 1UZ boat, but I will put it out there for all for future reference.

Everything was working perfectly on the boat and was extremely reliable, I had to replace the steering ram so had to take all the cowling out and disconnect the batteries.
Anyway everything went back the same way, however I found that when you went for a start, the fuel relay would engage the fuel pump as normal and then on the start the starter motor would click and then everything would just die.
No gauges, no ignition like the battery would be dead flat.
Anyway upon looking at the relays in Sideshows wiring I would notice the ECU relay would madly flicker until you disconnect the battery.
Then after 1 min you would connect the battery as normal and all gauges and fuel pump etc would do their thing ready for a start.
Im at a loss as to why its suddenly doing this, I have tried different relays, swapping them, I even have 3 spare ones i have tried same thing...
Any ideas anyone?

thanks sideshow and gloverman for your quick responses. I will go and put in another earth and see what the result is and let you know! Both of you mentioned bad earth so hopefully its as simple as that.

other earth didnt help got uder the dash of the boat something is loose under there...looks like ignition barrell is causing erratic connection. I have sourced another one already will install tomorrow. Im hoping an unstable ignition contact could cause this.

installed new ign barrel was ok for a few starts however the problem returned. What is the best way to test the starter on the 1UZFE will crank the engine ok without having to pull it out?
Is there a way just to jump start the starter directly with cabling to the battery?

find the thick black wire that goes to starter solenoid
run this to battery pos for afew seconds and see if starter turns better

check main batt lead from batt pos to starter
get a set of jumper leads
run just the earth jumper lead from somewhere on block to neg battery as an extra earth
just incase its a bad earth
if still hard to crank then check to see if main pos battery cable to startter gets hot

maybe its got bad power to ign switch

Thanks heaps Sideshow! Turned out to be a corroded terminal going to the main power lead of your loom setup. The wire had actually corroded 1 cm past the insulation. Boat starts first time without fuss now.