1UZFE aluminum Fidanza flywheel

PARTS FOR SALE: Send an email to [email protected] for availability.

username

This thread is, obviously, no longer for a 1UZFE fidanza aluminum flywheel. Please, carry-on. I'm done.

Fidanza will, unfortunately, not be willing to help the 1uzfe community with this type of support.

I am going to have a fidanza style (aluminum wheel with steel insert) made as a one-off. I wish that more of us were going to benefit from this effort.

As a parting comment (for this topic), I really must say, it is a shame that this thing was torn apart whilst it was still alive. It was an innocent effort to help out the community. If you dodnt want one of these flywheels, then dont buy one. Comparing your experience or opinion of a small displacement inline six cylinder engine with a V8 that has over 130% more displacement is unproductive. It is an entirely different behaving engine. Most of all, if you dont know what you are talking about, or are just trolling for answers to your general questions, dont post your quandaries to a group buy thread. Nobody benefits. You dont get appropriate coverage of your question, and those interested in the group buy are crowded out.

cheers

xirforever

Username, i never meant to offend you anyway and i dont think anyone else on this forum tried to either. I was/am appreciative of your effort, i think it is great you aniciated this contact with fidanza and looked into this. I dont see why this thread still isnt about the Fidanza aluminum flywheel (even though there is lack of interest)? The thread wandered a little bit, but no reason to take offense.

Now, at the begining of the thread you said you didnt think there was a need for the 7mgte clutch and the 3sgte would work fine but still you said you would ask fidanza if it would be possible to drill in the holes for that pressure plate. You never gave a reply. In the post before yours i even asked that question again. Still no reply. Even if it wont fit doesnt mean im not interested. I just want a concrete answer, hope you understand. If fidanza can make it possible, yes or no.

Just so i have the information that i think i know for sure is right... The 3sgte clutch will fit this flywheel and is designed for it. Also the 7m-ge (to reiterate, non-turbo) clutch and pressure plate will fit this flywheel.

No need to get discouraged so easily, if people arent interested, its not a big deal, you tried and thats all that matters.

I think to make this worthwhile you should see who is still interested. Did fidanza give you an approximate date to which they could be ready? Final price? (more concrete so if i or others want to buy one they know exactly how much to pay you)

Hang in there,
Nick

The Flea

I'm not speaking for username, but I've known him for 5 years and I don't think he was offended. I've never known a person with more on his plate then username. I won't embarass him by noting his accomplishments and his huge educational/occupational obligations. Frankly, I'm surprised he had the patience to go as long as he did.
Before the Fidanza FW gb, a mutual friend of ours was going to design and machine a FW for him to his specs for the cost of materials only. What a steal! Instead he thought that more people could benefit from a group buy and would likely feel more comfortable with name brand recognition, so he declined the offer and contacted Fidanza. Now our machinest friend has the tools and materials and is beginning the design.
From my observations the thread tanked before the first page was filled. It turned into hair splitting contest. Questioning the design and material selection of the product on a group buy interest page was at best unecessary. Let Fidanza take care of the problems, username already had the verbal commitment from them, he just needed a yes answer from interested parties.

YZFR1

I think most if not all of the questions were pertaining to the FW....... Would it be useful for what tasks so to speak. I guess what at least i was looking for was some education to see whether it would be good to pick it up now as i would like to put a Manual Tranny in sometime. If we could all get a good deal on a flywheel, great....... But we should know what it can and will be used for no? I didn't mean to steer it off topic by asking what tranny/clutch/etc. could be used. But these are things that someone as ignorant as i need to know before we join a group buy. The GB is a great idea and i wholeheartedly appreciate things such as this and those that organize them, however, some of us may not know exactly all of the details involved and may get a little off topic. I appolagize for any inconvenience i may have been involved in.

Dan

turboandrew

The Flea said:
Questioning the design and material selection of the product on a group buy interest page was at best unecessary. Let Fidanza take care of the problems, username already had the verbal commitment from them, he just needed a yes answer from interested parties.
I disagree; why would one not question the design and/or material selection on something that is unproven? Maybe I missed something here, but who is currently running this flywheel on a high HP 1UZ? I have been through enough clutches (costing thousands of $$) to know to ask questions first and buy later. Honestly I feel it's not responsible to set up a group buy on something which is not highly "proven" on the target motor. If this has been proven, my apologies. However this is exaclty why I did not try to set up a group buy on the RPS flywheel. I will gladly take the hit of a cu$tom job and report back later if/when it works. Then and only then would I try to set up a group buy.

The Flea

Someone squawk 7500 on the transponder, we have a hijacking in progress.
I guess it's official. We're changing the name of this thread to, "turboandrew, tell us what you think".
Dude, what's with the quoting? I didn't forget what I posted just above.

username

I repeat. I am done. Carry-on if you wish...

I am not offended, disheartened, or sad in any way. I apologize if you are.

Many people have used 3SGTE flywheels for their manual conversions. It is the most common flywheel used on the 1UZFE for many reasons. This was not a major jump in developement or even a new design. The weight issue wasnt even that big of an issue (only 3lbs lighter than the acclaimed RPS wheel, yet somehow accused of being totally undrivable). It was simply an off the shelf (more economical for everyone) approach to what others have already done. Since this is such a common thing, I thought it would be a great opportunity for the community to graduate into production parts instead of constantly recreating the wheel (flywheel) with one-off machining (big $$$).

I am sure somebody else will carry this torch in the future. It is inevitable. I was, clearly, just too early for the community.

jibby

So fellas what ever came about with all this light weight flywheel business for the 1UZFE? Anyone get one on yet, results, prices, durablity, etc.. Any info would be very helpful...thanks.

Pro

Honestly I feel it's not responsible to set up a group buy on something which is not highly "proven" on the target motor. If this has been proven, my apologies. However this is exaclty why I did not try to set up a group buy on the RPS flywheel. I will gladly take the hit of a cu$tom job and report back later if/when it works. Then and only then would I try to set up a group buy.
this is also admin's policy.

no proof, no pudding.

BARRY

if any of you have problems driving a 9lbs flywheel you can't drive or your clutch is simply too aggressive for such a light flywheel.

i have a 9lbs flywheel with a 3puck exedy clutch on my little 1.6L engine.

i've driven a 7lbs flywheel with a act clutch on a 1.8L engine.

both EASY to drive.

i've also driven a 9lbs toda flywheel on a custom 3puck HIGH Pressure METALIC clutch on a 1.6L.

as with weight you should TRY before you buy. but everybody I know in the racing community for little corolla's and honda's have zero issues with super light weight flywheels.

i thought the 3sgte setup was a great idea. i also thought the 2jzgte setup was a great idea as well.

definately the 3sgte setup works out to be the cheapest setup hands down and reliable. the 2jzgte setup of course looks like it can handle enourmous amounts of power no problem as well but at an added cost.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Getting a 3500 lb Supra or Lexus launched smoothly with a 9 lb flywheel is quite a bit different than a 2500 lb Corolla or Honda.

John

Attachments

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Heavy cars are just a challenge to launch with lightweight flywheels; not everyone wants to leave a stoplight by revving and dumping. They certainly have their place, but for a street car they can be a handful.

I really enjoy driving my 6spd Supra with its Twin Disc clutch and lightened flywheel, but at the end of the day, it's also a relief to climb in the underpowered 5spd LandCruiser with its monster flywheel and not have any issues at all with launching on an uphill grade, etc.

John

BARRY

what is the friction surface differences between the 2jzgte flywheel and the 3sgte flywheel? if its neglegable who cares, but if its a drastic difference that should be on reason to opt up for a 2jzgte setup.

RPS parts are on the pricey side if you ask me. for the price they ask for some of their stuff i'd rather go with a tilton and have a way better clutch.

Hachibill

wow, sounded like a good idea, but fidanza flywheels aren't that great. i've seen many bad exsperiences of them flying apart after 3000 miles. you have to take everything apart and re-torque the flywheel after 1500 miles or something liek that. crome molly would be better. but i give it to username for tring to get something truly inspirational accomplished. better luck next time.

turboandrew

There's good informatin here. Why would we delete it just because the group buy is not on? Can we simply state here the group buy is dead an leave it at that?

Pro

old classifieds are taking up too much room on the server.

we need to delete old threads.

what information is specific here? 3SGTE flywheels fit 1UZFEs? i thought that was pretty common knowledge myself and i have no interest in manual conversions.

we have one for a delete, do i hear 2 more?

steveblade_uk

Flywheel

This is just what im after !!! Please can you pm me with a estimate price. Need to talk about shipping cost and maybe I will need more than 1 as I have plans or the new year.