1UZFE/2UZFE into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (U.S.)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cebby

Well, my 3VZE finally took a dump. BIG coolant leak between head and block on the driverside. About 142k miles. It had the headgasket replaced under the HG replacement campaign at something like 30k miles. This vehicle has an a340h automatic tranny.

For the cost and downtime of rebuilding the 3VZE (throwing good money after bad), I'm seriously considering moving forward with a swap. Since my rig is a 93, I must put at least a 1993 motor in it due to Pennsylvania law. That limits which Toyota motor I can use. The choices are 5VZE, 2JZ, and 1UZ/2UZ. The 5VZ has been done a bunch and is probably the easiest, 2JZ motors are too pricey (and require reworking the core suppport/radiator/fan area to make fit), so the 1UZ seems the likely candidate (gotta be a little different)

I've been reading alot here about the swap and am pretty sure I know what I will need, but I wanted to kind of put together a detailed list of what's needed. What I'm not completely sure of is what years to consider, and other smaller details.

So here's what I'm thinking I need:

1. 93-99? 1UZFE, wiring harness, ECU (with Exhaust manifolds, starter, PS Pump, AC Compresor, Alternator?)

2. LS400 Oilpan

3. Custom motor mounts

4. AFM/MAF (Not sure what these have)

5. Bellhousing from Lex tranny that was mated to 1UZFE

6. 96+ a340f tranny (removable t-case so I can add doubler)

7. Larger radiator? (I have a replacement radiator and electric fan now)

I currently have a 1" body lift and no diff drop (for the time being, the IFS stays). Long term (as funds allow), I'll hang a solid axle.

I'd like to avoid opening up the engine at this time - just adding cost to an already pricey proposition. I'm not looking for this thing to be a pavement (or trail) scorcher. Hell, I've lived with the 3VZE for 10 years, anything will be an improvement.

My main concerns aren't making the motor physically fit in the engine bay, it is the electronics.

Any help would be appreciated.

One question I forgot to ask is what is a reasonable amount of mileage on a 1UZFE to get for the swap. Obviously less the better, but how high is OK (without doing a rebuild)

250,000 miles is easily attainable with these engines and we hear of engines with 500,000 miles on them.

As you won't know the service history of any engine from asalvage yard I'd put 100,000 as an absolute max.

Which is easier to fit in a snug engine bay, the 1UZ or 2UZ? I found a reasonable 2UZ with low miles. Any issues with the 2UZ motor?

Both engines are the same external dimensions.

The 2UZ is heavier (iron block) but has more low end grunt than the 1UZ.

The 2UZ is a better bet for a 4x4 whilst the 1UZ is more peaky and fun to drive.

I'm not too sure of any wiring problems with 2UZ as I don't know of anyone having actually fitted and finished one yet.

For the 2uzfe - 245 HP, 315 lb-ft tq. This is the non vvt, i think the vvti is 285 hp, about 320 lb-ft of torque.

I looked into this swap a couple months ago. Seems like for the 2nd gens, the biggest issue is the auto controller and the passenger side transfercase drop. You may look into a 2uzfe mated to a late model T100 a340F with passenger side transfercase, There is a good chance the tundra ecu will run the T100 A340F, as it is the same model number transmission. I bet you could still use the 1uz auto bell housing to bolt it together.

If you go this route, let me know. I am still interested in this myself.

Are the T100 trannies the same for the entire model run? The 93-95? had a 3.0 with a340f and the 96-97 had the 3.4 with the same model number tranny.

When I was looking at the early model a340f to mate to my 3.0 (so I could run a doubler), I think the model behind the 3.4 had a different sensor set up than the early model. I think we determined that the unit behind the 3.0 would bolt/plug in, but the later model would require machining for the sensor.

I have a line on a 93 T100 auto, but I'm thinking the ECU that would drive the 2UZ would probably "like" the later model tranny.

Thanks for the engine specs!

SCORE!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7959907134

Reserve was $1000. I don't think I could have found a better deal.

Any suggestions on how to ship it to Pittsburgh? The seller has a crate made for it. Shipping weight is around 600 lbs. Forwardair has a terminal in Madison, AL and also in Pittsburgh - I was going to start there. Any thoughts on shipping?

I have the shop lined up, but they need to jockey some of their cars around to give me a slot for the Runner. I should have it inside and start the dismantling next weekend. Nice coincidence - the guy who owns the space is also my waterjet cutting connection. I'm going to have some purty brackets for sure!! You should see some of the brackets he has designed/cut for the 66 Vette they are doing. Roadrace body with molded in flares and a nice new 502 waiting to go. Frame was powdercoated too... :eeek: Pics of the eye candy next week.

You can use your stock tranny out of your 4runner with a bell housing off a ls400 or whatever with the a340. 96+ the tranfer case is on the opposite side

With an adapter from Marlin Crawler, it appears that I can use the early 80's gear driven reduction boxes that I already have. Not too wild about doing all this stuff at once though...

Cebby,

Bellhousing is the same.

That double tranfer box bit is serious stuff. You'd need to keep the rest of your driveline in mind when planting the right foot.

Thanks Rod. The "go pedal" will become the "break parts" pedal. I currently have 5.29 gears and ARB lockers too. KABOOM!!!

Can I reuse my torque converter out of the a340h or will I need a 1UZ/2UZ model? The torque converter is something I really haven't figured out yet...

Long story short, I got screwed out of the motor. You can read the whole story here if you wish: http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=53317

So, back to the drawing board. There seemed to be some concerns about the weight of the 2UZ due to the iron block, so I might have to follow the others before me with my own 1UZFE swap. I guess it will still be a "little" diffferent with an auto tranny instead of manual.

Anyone stateside know where I can get a low mile 1UZFE near PA - cheap?

I dont know if you have read my other posts, but I too have used an auto, but I used the A341E out of the crown cut, changed the output shaft and have the A340F transfer case bolted to it. If i'm not mistaken, the auto (from A340f) has a different number a solenoids? This way you can use the t'case you've got now.

Just tell me to shut up if this info is of no use to you
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, here's a pic of the two together.

Webbie - I did read your thread - I think you are the only one that I know of using an auto. Definitely the only one who converted a 2WD tranny to 4WD.

How many solenoids do a "want" in a tranny. There are two versions of the a340f (actually 3) that I know of.

1. 93-94 T100 (behind 3.0). Right side drop. Same # of solenoids as the a340h
2. 95-97 T100 (behind 3.4). Right side drop. Same # of solenoids as current a340f's in 3.4 4Runners/Tacomas.
3. 96+ 4Runner/Tacoma (behind 2.7 and 3.4). Left side drop.

I don't know the numbers of solenoids on these autos - still digging into that. I know the a340h has fewer than the current a340f. The a340f from behind the 3.0 in the T100 is a direct bolt in (wiring and all) for my a340h.

The a340h transfer case is not compatible with the gear drive cases, nor the doubler adapters. That's why I'm searching for the "right" a340f.

Dont quote me on this ( I hope someone can help me out) the early? A340F/H had 2 solenoids and the A341E has 4 solenoids? That's why I chose to mod the crown box cos - A. I had it and B. I def know it would work with the ECU.

Dont know if you know but anyway - the t'case off A340F is chain and it's own idependant case where as the t'case off of the A340H is hydraulic and uses fluid from the auto box. I picked up the t'case AND sump and filter off of an A34## 4WD box for AUD$300. The sump has a larger cap than the car type.

You'll have to forgive me as I am in Aust and dont know US stuff, but it took a while to find a right side drop t'case here with output in middle. I also stopped researching when I found my solution.

I have a pile of info here - just tell me what area your looking for and ill post the link.

Cheers