1UZFE/2UZFE into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (U.S.)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
cebby said:
Can anyone ID what these ECU plugs are for?

I was able to match up the 3 plugs together on the left with plugs on the harness, but I didn't see one for the plug on the right (it's possibble that I missed it, but I doubt it). Is this for the tranny?

No one has used this ECU?

OK - here's the wiring harness. I'm not seeing what the three plugs on the bottom go to. I'm guessing one of them is for a traction control box, but I don't know about the other two

Any thoughts?

cebby said:
Can anyone ID what these ECU plugs are for?

I was able to match up the 3 plugs together on the left with plugs on the harness, but I didn't see one for the plug on the right (it's possibble that I missed it, but I doubt it). Is this for the tranny?
If I understand you correctly....
That is the second 26 pin connector on the LS400 harness. If you look here:
http://www.lextreme.com/lexecc1.pdf
Its the one with OD1, OD2, MREL, ACMG, etc...

Cebby,

This is a long shot but I noticed the last 2 digits are 32.

Could this be a UZZ32 ECU?

The '32 has active suspension which may explain the additional plug.

I suggest you PM Peter Scott "UZZ32pete" (I think) he may be able to quote his ECU number.

Rod - UZZ32pete didn't know about the ECU, but good news - ordered an engine today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7951738310

I also found an LS400 trans, so I will be converting it to 4WD like Webbie. I plan to use the parts from a trashed late model A340F (output and tailhousing only - looking for these pieces BTW) and will be using V6 adapter plate from Marlin and doing the dual case swap at the same time. I'll do the right side output to maintain my existing IFS for now and my future solid axle swap with a Toyota front axle.

Marlin Crawler Website said:
Marlin Crawler now stocks dual case crawler applications for all 1995 to current Tacoma’s & 4Runners. All configurations are supported including V6, 4Cyl, manual & automatics. We have applications to support factory left side drive front driveshaft output or right hand output for solid axle swap applications.

I guess this is progress...

Pic of the LS400 trans to be converted to 4WD:
LS400%20Trans%20001%20(Medium).jpg

2WD Tailhousing and output:
LS400%20Trans%20002%20(Medium).jpg

I will be getting my own garage "stall" at the raceshop - stuff had to get moved around to make room for me. Was supposed to move the 4Runner down there for a while now - looks like tomorrow if weather permits (we are supposed to get 4 inches of snow tonight and another 3 tomorrow) I won't be able to get rolling on this until after May 3rd due to workload.

Aside from the Marlin "stuff" I need (easy enough, just order..), I need to locate an a340F tailhousing and output shaft (or an internally grenaded a340f to strip).

Here's the parts list to convert the 2WD trans to 4WD:

a341e%20to%20a340f%20conversion.jpg

Looks like I'll be scaring up a dead A340F somewhere. Even at a 20% discount, those prices are more than a used A340F around here.

hafftrak said:
How's the project coming along Cebby?

Ironically, I got my 4Runner and the 1UZ into the raceshop where I'll be doing the work today. I need to haul some tools down there to get crackin'. Looks like probably Monday before any appreciable work gets going...

hey just run the 4runner gbox
if its auto just try keep the wiring seperate for th eauto box form the engine when removing

this way u can run 4 runner auto box and transfer cause it runs a seperate ecu for it

thats if yr goin auto

I would want to use an a340f so I can remove the stock tcase and use a dual marlin setup. I still need to locate a reasonably priced a340f. I'll have a look at everything once it is in my possession.

I thought the reason I should use the LS trans was for compatibility for the electronics - is this not true? Is there nothing feeding back to the ECU from the trans?

At least I have the torque converter and bellhousing if I can't use that trans...

from the past surfs i have wired up with 2lte engines and automatic gboxes

no wires goto the engine ecu

this was on *** import surfs to australia

some wires from the auto ecu goto some sensors like tps etc

Hey all! I haven't fallen off of the face of the earth. Been wrapped in all sorts of things and had a vacation or two in the mix.

Thanks for the info Sideshow. I'm sure when (when not if) I run into an issue, I'll post up for some long distance help. There is a big connector on the side of the trans with 6+ conductors - is this just for the gear selection display on the dash?

I should be done compiling all of the big things I need for the swap. I picked up a complete A340F and also found someone to sell me just a tailhousing and output. If the A340F will work sensor/electrics wise, that will be easier I think. We'll see when everythings going together.

Also ordered up the Marlin pieces today. It should make everything work the way I'd like. Here's how the setup should fit together:

JDM 1UZFE | 1UZFE Bellhousing/Torque Converter | 00' 4Runner A340F | Marlin 34-AT | Marlin 23 Spline Input | Gear Drive Reduction Box w/stock 2.28 gears | Marlin MC07 | Gear Drive Reduction Box/T-case w/Marlin 23 spline 4.7 gearset

This stuff goes into the existing 5.29's with F/R ARB lockers. I'm planning to run 35's to speed the process of ditching the IFS.

Do I hear CV's snapping? :D

Ran into a potential snag. The input on the transmissions I have (A341E and A340F) are not the same. The portion where the splines engage is a little bit different, but the actual length of the input shafts are different which is probably a bigger deal. (A341E has the longer input) The problem is getting the TC to bolt to the driveplate and still engage the splines. It does not appear that it will work.

Here’s a drawing I whipped up showing the difference:

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/93 4Runner/Transmission_Mods/TC & Input Dims 50.pdf

So, I guess the question is:

Do I swap out the output shaft and tailhousing from the A340F to the A341E (like Webbie)?

OR

Do I swap the input shaft from the A341E to the A340F? Anyone have an idea which is easier?

I’d prefer to use the A340F trans if possible since it is newer and has better gearing for off-roading.

So, the statements about grabbing any A340x trans and swapping bellhousings to do this swap doesn’t appear to hold water – unless I’m missing something…

Does anyone know if the input shaft comes out as an assembly after removing the flange around the input? Or do I need to dismantle 1/2 the trans like you do to change the output?

I have a diagram, but it isn't really clear about how to pull the input (not step by step llike an FSM).

Attachments

• DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0194.JPG
    DSCN0194.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 23
Cebby,

Somewhere theres a link to a write up on stripping and rebuilding the trans.

You wouldn't credit it but I deleted it from my favourites yesterday as I won't be needing it. Sorry.

Search back thru old threads it was in the last 6 months.

OK, time to update this thread to where this stands... a more detailed discussion is over on Yotatech. http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=54771

Pic of the LS400 trans to be converted to 4WD:
LS400%20Trans%20001%20(Medium).jpg

2WD Tailhousing and output:
LS400%20Trans%20002%20(Medium).jpg

I will be getting my own garage "stall" at the race shop - stuff had to get moved around to make room for me. Was supposed to move the 4Runner down there for a while now - looks like tomorrow if weather permits (we are supposed to get 4 inches of snow tonight and another 3 tomorrow) I won't be able to get rolling on this until after May 3rd due to workload.

Aside from the Marlin "stuff" I need (easy enough, just order..), I need to locate an a340F tailhousing and output shaft (or an internally grenaded a340f to strip).