First off, sad to say that there's no new tech here.
This project has been permanently shelved. I started back on this and the rust on the 4Runner was too severe (body AND frame) to warrant throwing any money at it. Sitting in my yard for a couple of years pushed the 4Runner into the not worth saving category. It spent 12 years on the road in the rust belt and a couple sitting out (was never garaged when it was operable either so that didn't help). It's gone now - all the good stuff stripped off.
Like a lot of projects, started off with good intentions and a decent plan but life got in the way. I've restored all the pics I could find (almost all of them), but there won't be any new tech added to this unless something crazy happens.
I have another (non-Toyota) project waiting in the wings, so an additional part of the demise of the UZ swap was having 2 inoperable vehicles on my property. The Mrs wasn't standing for it...
In the end, I finally got a running Toyota V8 after all - in the form of a Sequoia family hauler.