1UZFE/2UZFE into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (U.S.)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Cebby,

They're just stubborn.

A note on Wurth.

Porsche used Wurth sealant to seal the two halves of the 911 crankcase for about 30 years. They didn't use any gasket in the joint. They also used it under the cam boxes which bolted to the heads.

If you want the best go the Wurth product.

I was one with the parts washer tonight. I cleaned both the front sump setup I'm not using and the LX470 version I picked up last week.

Remember when I said I was thankful for stupid people? I was eating those words tonight when it took me at least an hour and a half to clean the sludge out of the oil pickup. With the screen on the pickup end and the severe bends in the tube, threading something down there was a challenge. At first I was using the 1UZ dipstick because I couldn't find a coat hanger. That only reached so far, then I came across a coat hanger to get the rest of the way in there. Mostly is was coming out in small hunks, the consistency of jello. Then I got a few big pieces that looked like large leaches. You know your oil is spent when you can pick it up in chunks... :roll:

Here's the guts of my 1UZ before I pulled the pickup tube.
oilpan-cleaned%20001%20(Medium).jpg

oilpan-cleaned%20002%20(Medium).jpg

The oilpan sure looks alot cleaner now...
oilpan-cleaned%20003%20(Medium).jpg

I had visions of getting more done, but I didn't head down until after midnight and the pickup tube was an unexpected headache..

I did have some added excitement to the evening. Through the drudgery that was cleaning the pickup tube out, I thought I heard a bottle breaking. So I shut off the parts washer and go check it out. I sort of snuck up to one of the outside windows and looked out. I saw some punk breaking into the back of the gas station across the alley from where I was. I quickly called the police to tell them whats up. I was on the phone with them for maybe 2 minutes max and they had 2 or 3 cars buzzing around the scene (and they caught the perps I later found out via a phone call from the police) Turns out there were two perps. I live in a nice town and want it to stay that way...

For anyone interested, I'm selling off the parts I'm not using in a thread here.

Should I use the same black FIPG on the oil pickup tube where it meets the block? Reason I ask is that the 1UZ tube had no gasket whatsoever and the 2UZ tube had Toyota's paper gasket. FWIW, the 1UZ connection seemed to have gotten some crud on the surface between the two at some point in it's life.

Hi Cebby,
My 2c - I used a combination of gasket paper and some Wurth goo, and that has worked fine for about 16 months so far. I checked it recently when I had the sump off (to fix a small leak where my weld didn't take) and all it still looks mint. Just be careful that you don't let the goo squish out into the pick up tube, or you might partially block it, or damage the pump if it cures, breaks off and then goes with the flow.

Muzz

This is from my two hour session Friday night.

In she goes for one of many test fits...
first_fitting%20028%20(Medium).jpg

Love working shoulder to shoulder with the bigblock Vette...
first_fitting%20029%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

Where it was meant to be...
first_fitting%20019%20(Medium).jpg

Discovered a few things with the initial test fit:
  • The stock oil filter mount is way too long and will interfere with frame rail. I will need to make/buy a remote mount or something shorter. I'll also investigate other UZ filter mounts - maybe there's an easy bolt on solution...
  • The stock exhaust mainfolds stick straight out from the heads which means contact with the steering and the top mounts for the A-Arms. I plan to do some more research on other stock manifolds, but a better solution that I'll likely take on is making a set of equal length runner block hugger headers.
  • The rear sump oil pan allows the engine to be set into the engine bay nice and low (as in no body lift required). I figure if this part gets solved, lifting the body higher later and adding a drivetrain lift will be child's play.
  • The steel part of the rear sump oilpan will need to be modified slightly to clear the front diff and one of the IFS mounts. The alterations will be pretty minor, so depending on the price of a new lower oilpan, the modified pan might be made toa stock pan or a new one will be built from scratch.
  • There's all sorts of space for the engine mounts. That will likely be one of the easier parts of the swap.

Took some manuevering, but I got the engine back nice and close to the firewall.
first_fitting%20018%20(Medium).jpg

Lots of room out front for radiator/fan.
first_fitting%20014%20(Medium).jpg

Here's the stock filter mount without a filter - even a stubby filter won't make it unfortuantely.
first_fitting%20027%20(Medium).jpg

This is before I had it back the whole way, but it still gets into the steering.
first_fitting%20003%20(Medium).jpg

What you can't see in the above pic is that the exhaust manifold is resting on top of the top of the A-Arm mount. Fabricating headers would be a first for me. I would make something similar to (the beautiful work) that "Mudman" did - here's his work (pics by Mudman):
42%20(Medium).jpg

43%20(Medium).jpg

Headers4%20(Medium).jpg

Headers5%20(Medium).jpg

And at the business end, there's just about an inch between the relay rod and the front of the rear sump oilpan - I forgot to see if the steering stabilizer would fit in it's stock position. I'm sure this thing will be in and out quite a few more times...
first_fitting%20022%20(Medium).jpg

The oilpan will only need to be "taken in" at the corners a little to clear the diff and the driver side IFS mount. (This part has me wishing it was already SFA) It will be a pretty easy alteration though...
first_fitting%20026%20(Medium).jpg

Next up, removing the exhaust manifolds and another test fit as well as some measurements...

"Budders" over on Marlin suggested looking at Tundra headers for my exhaust clearance problems. There are a few folks making headers for the 4.7, but I need to confirm that these actually fit the 1UZ heads.

JBA make a shorty header:
2010S.jpg

But I've got concerns that the big triangular flange they use won't clear the frame rails.

The other notable are Flowtech headers:
12110FLT.jpg

While these are a good efficient equal length design, the tube routing makes them pretty large - I doubt they'll fit the space available also.

The tundra 2uz headers do fit the 1uz head. (at least the 98 and newer) I'm pretty sure the earlier exhaust ports were the same also.

They did not fit my chassis though.

sportcross35.jpg

-B

Thanks Brad - that is a big help! Was your fitment problem related to the smallish tunnel in the IS (and how high up the collector is)? Seeing those headers (JBA?) on your motor shows me they won't work for me either - the collector would be into the firewall for my application.

These things came out further than I thought, the tale of the tape...
header-measurements%20001%20(Medium).jpg

Almost 5 1/2" straight out from the heads. I need something that turns down instead of straight out.
header-measurements%20002%20(Medium).jpg

header-measurements%20004%20(Medium).jpg

Other side...
header-measurements%20003%20(Medium).jpg

cebby said:
Thanks Brad - that is a big help! Was your fitment problem related to the smallish tunnel in the IS (and how high up the collector is)? Seeing those headers (JBA?) on your motor shows me they won't work for me either - the collector would be into the firewall for my application.

That is correct.

These are SS autochrome.

I'm pretty sure my site documentation on the v8 swap shows a pic of what I had to do to modify them.

-B

Finally got a chance for a 2nd Fitting yesterday. Thought I'd post up some long overdue pics...

These first two are for SuperRunner (shows the speed sensors on the A341E and A340F)
second_fitting%20009%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

The additional speed sensor the 1UZ ECU needs to see can be added easily to the A340F (since you need the input/planetary from an A341E which has the sensor tone ring on it already, it should be plug and play)
second_fitting%20010%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

I pulled the exhaust manifolds off so I could get a better fitting this time around. This was a big improvement... A few shots for reference:

Passenger Side:
second_fitting%20044%20(Medium).jpg

Is it just me, or does thing look like it's ALL MOTOR? :D
second_fitting%20043%20(Medium).jpg

Driver Side:
second_fitting%20042%20(Medium).jpg

Business End:
second_fitting%20041%20(Medium).jpg

After numerous adjustments, I think this last shot is pretty close to where it will sit. I will have to modify the steel oilpan (may make from scratch - probably easier) - jury is out on the pickup tube for now though. I need to pull the aluminum ring off to mount up the pickup tube and then go for a 3rd fitting. This is close to the final position - shifted it over a little to the right and there was good spacing all the way around.
second_fitting%20034%20(Medium).jpg

Here's a guess at the oilpan mods. Might be more, might be less...
second_fitting%20005%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

Clears the breather extension and ARB line perfectly. Although, I will likely raise it up some for breathing room.
second_fitting%20038%20(Medium).jpg

Now that I got it tucked down nicely, the motor mounts will actually be pretty short now. I measured and it appears they will be roughly 2 1/2" to 3" off the stock 3VZ rubber mounts.
second_fitting%20023%20(Medium).jpg

second_fitting%20019%20(Medium).jpg

second_fitting%20026%20(Medium).jpg