1UZ VVTi or 3UZ into a '94 Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Meiser

Hi everyone,

I've got some questions that I hope that you can help me with. I may be able to get hold of either a 1UZ VVTi or a 3UZ in the not too distant future and I'm considering putting one of them in my '94 Supra. I know that the 1UZ VVTi has been done before, but not much has been documented about that conversion so the following questions are mainly aimed at the 3UZ, but I welcome answers on the 1UZ VVTi too. The main things that I am asking are:

Has anyone else done this conversion?
What issues did you encounter?
How did you get around the drive-by-wire setup or how did you get it to work?

I'm already running a 1UZ from a' 93 Soarer in my Supra, so I know that mechanically, getting both the 1UZ VVTi and the 3UZ in is not going to be a hassle (I know that I need to swap the sump for a rear sump setup and change the engine mounts).

The thing that's stopping me from jumping on either engine right now is the electrical side of things. I carried out the wiring on my 1UZ conversion myself, but I had access to lots of material to assist me. I can't find much on the either the 1UZ VVTi or 3UZ and I know that they are very different beasts to the early 1UZ. I'm trying to find out as much as possible before I make my decision.

Any advice, tips or pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Which transmission are you mating up to? Guess it doesn't really matter as you'll be reusing it for whichever VVTi block you use.

Re: the DBW throttle, Gloverman is very familiar with getting that to work with his Link ECU's, so perhaps he can share some of his experience.

Now I do know by 94 it should be a Mk4 however all conversions contain pretty much the same stuff and much of the Mk3 info swaps over to Mk4.

I can share the conversion series if you are interested. Im still working on the editing of the later parts. Cheers

Which transmission are you mating up to? Guess it doesn't really matter as you'll be reusing it for whichever VVTi block you use.

Re: the DBW throttle, Gloverman is very familiar with getting that to work with his Link ECU's, so perhaps he can share some of his experience.

Hi Cribbj,

I do plan on using whichever transmission comes with the engine but I do have a SupraStick fitted, so I can also use any of the 4-speeds that I currently have lying around too. I did have the A761E 6-speed fitted for a while, but that is a long transmission and it pushed my current 1UZ forwards by about an inch or so, even with the "boomerang" transmission mount bracket from the TT MKIV's A340E, so I'll see whether I want to do that again.

Now I do know by 94 it should be a Mk4 however all conversions contain pretty much the same stuff and much of the Mk3 info swaps over to Mk4.

I can share the conversion series if you are interested. Im still working on the editing of the later parts. Cheers

Hi Gloverman,

Thank you very much for the links to the videos. I've watched the first video and plan to watch the second when I get a moment at home. Yes, you're right, my '94 is a MK4/MKIV, but if most of the information is relevant then that is good to know.

If you don't mind sharing the conversion series I would be very grateful indeed. How did you find the 5-speed? Did it suit the application well?

Thanks!

As you said you you've only watched the first one I can only assume you mean the 5 speed auto. (manual is also 5 speed). It works well. I enjoy the A650. Nice range of ratios and nice to drive. Work really well on stock management.

hopefully the below links come out. Im still working on the series so they are still unlisted in my main video list. Fine to share to other supra related groups. Cheers