1uz vvti into a Volga

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thanks!
I couldn't stop thinking that it sounded very much like a Harley sometimes. Very good, but that's a car after all

so

Flowmaster chimes in!
4012463.jpg

4012464.jpg

The pictures above were taken before the exhaust was fully completed
it was extremely tricky to bypass sway bar and shock absorber properly, to allow full travel of suspension without hitting anything . Done. Will post a video next week.

Overall, below 2000 rpm it's the sound I always wanted. And it's not loud. Drone is very noticeably after 80 km/h but disappears after 110. So it's a narrow band thing and I will eliminate it with quarter wave resonators when I will have time for that (not very soon).

Of course that's extremely bad there's no possibility to fit 2 separate mufflers which would give more rumble.

Flowmaster 50 series, aluminized steel, about $150 at Ebay and about $100 to bring it to Russia
It has 3 chambers, it's very noticeable at 2000rpm and the sound disappears past 2300 rpm at highway (you only hear wind and tire noise). I will fit L/4 resonators tuned to 130Hz to address the drone, it's the same design as I did with the Glasspacks

Last edited:
News

The new exhaust does have very annoying drone at about 2k RPM. That surprises me a lot as the 50 series is claimed to have the least drone across all Flowmaster lineup. This sort of drone is easily addressed however, my earlier setup with pair of glasspacks did have provisions to eliminate the drone and sound level was consistent across all RPM range. Plan to install the resonators soon.

At higher RPM there's no drone and highway cruising is ok now. Only wind noise past 110 km/h.

On another note, sourced set of non-original coils "1AECI00280" for dirt cheap. Already installed, everything OK so far. What I noted however is that decent amount of oxidation products has developed inside some of the spark plug holes. That stuff is pretty hard to get rid of. I recommend to undo the coils periodically to check for the mentioned issue.

more news
the muffler ain't DRONEMASTER no more
drone eliminated completely
sounds very silent in cabin now, and still decent rumble on the outside
may post some details if anyone plans using chambered mufflers with 1uz (or any engine really)
pL7KXyAwdqw.jpg

qiW8i5OQs5g.jpg

hA8g1oEtUJo.jpg

Last edited:
News on my build
Got Transgo kit for the 650 series trans, also ordered spare valvebody from mate. Plan to order new gaskets, rebuild the spare valvebody with the kit, then go fit it to my transmission

Also found super rare Tom's ECU for 20 series celsior for quite reasonable price (under $300), the problem is it's listed for sale in some online shop in Tokyo. Could find one guy who agreed to talk to them , can't wait for the results.
http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/global/usa2/simple/product/engine/engine_tec2.html

If I didn't want to retain the hydro fan, GS400 ECU would be way better substitute for stock ECU (it offers paddle shift operation on the trans, and has no speed limit). Tom's ECU however is at least different to what anyone else has

Last edited:
*update*
Guess what I got?
JDM as fk. This thing makes you want to kill a whale (for strictly scientific purpose of course)
7b0b9b2s-960.jpg

while the ECU is on its way from Japan to me, I had some spare time to address occasional fuel smell. Apparently sometimes when tank pressure is too high , the excessive pressure relieved through tank cap resulting in the smell. Charcoal canister normally addresses this (of course my car didn't have one from factory)

Fitted new canister off hyundai accent (fits perfectly thanks to its brick-like shape) and omg this is sooo full of fail. For some reason, nothing blocks fuel vapor to leave the canister from air vent port. Will fit check valve to the port and see how it works for me.

Still have to figure out Celsior ECU operation on the purge valve. LS400 wiring diagram shows vapor pressure sensor and additional control solenoid, but Celsior diagram doesn't. The purge solenoid has power and is fully operational, I only have to figure out if ECU tries to operate it or not.

I had vapor pipe out on the bottom of the trunk on my Mercrod,and pertol was dripping out on hot day....
Then I put T piece at the tank filling relief pipe pipe and seems it solved it.

irmantas, thanks but seems like I tried every easy solution possible already hehe
Will report how it goes after a while. I need really hot day to see all possible changes

So far, I can conclude that in general it became better. Though sometimes I can still smell fuel, the smell disappeared from the trunk completely

News on my build
Got Transgo kit for the 650 series trans, also ordered spare valvebody from mate. Plan to order new gaskets, rebuild the spare valvebody with the kit, then go fit it to my transmission

Also found super rare Tom's ECU for 20 series celsior for quite reasonable price (under $300), the problem is it's listed for sale in some online shop in Tokyo. Could find one guy who agreed to talk to them , can't wait for the results.
http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/global/usa2/simple/product/engine/engine_tec2.html

If I didn't want to retain the hydro fan, GS400 ECU would be way better substitute for stock ECU (it offers paddle shift operation on the trans, and has no speed limit). Tom's ECU however is at least different to what anyone else has

I read the text on the transgo site, but what does that mean in real life? Will it shift any faster? I don't need it to shift harder as that upsets cornering balance when racing (especially in the wet), but would like it to shift a bit quicker.

Also, any info on the TOMs ecu what that does for you?

I will post all the info after a while. I need some time to receive and test the ECU

Regarding the shift kit, mate just sent me spare valve body. I have to find time to clean it, install kit and install the modified valve body into the car. And even this way feels too much dangerous to me. Definitely not the kind of one-hour-with-beer mod

p/s the reason I posted the ecu thing so early was merely me bein over happy with the purchase price of 33.333 Yen which is about $300 usd
even if I don't like I will easily resell it

Last edited:
p/s
found the reason for the fuel smell. The canister is ok but vapor lines aren't. They don't seem to seal well, and the "tank" line isn't connected properly (it's located too low so it can catch fuel rather than vapor upon hard cornering). Will fix it soon.

Plans for the transmission are: fix bent trans fluid radiator lines, adjust line pressure dial, install the kitted valve body. I will of course report back after each step. Plan to get everything done this summer.

ECU wise, my supplier purchased it from online store, already packaged it into the new batch which leaves Japan in a day or two. I will receive it in a week or so. Will take pictures of its internals, apply my usual tweaks (FPR bypass, sub-o2 sensors bypass, ST1- signal generation from STP input, immo bypass) and test drive it. I will test the ECU alone for clarity purpose, leaving the trans mods described above for the next step

Last edited:
can't wait to get the ECU. Already left customs processing. Must be delivered within days.

Meanwhile, I did some maintenance to the trans and engine block.

One of the trans coolant lines needed to be replaced. Routed it slightly differently. Temp never exceeds 70 C, so the radiator is more than edequate, and proximity to exhaust pipe does nothing harmful.
f1a0e72s-480.jpg

99a0e72s-960.jpg

I could not get past the famous regulator adjustment tweak. It was a good chance to test the tweak alone, without the valve body tweak.

b1a0e72s-960.jpg

59a0e72s-960.jpg

b9a0e72s-480.jpg

Then I was ready to call it a day but occasionally I noticed unusual coolant leak, with no coolant lines running near it. Turned out to be the coolant hole lid (part ref. 11492-50010)

d1a0e72s-960.jpg