1UZ vvti into a 4x4 1996 4Runner

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sessamess

I am just about complete and thought I would share some pictures and info. This is my second swap, first one was a '91 Ls400 1UZ into a 2001 4Runner.

Sold the 3.4 engine for $1100 with all the wiring to a guy replacing his 3.0. Bought a 1998 LS400 for $500 and started making my motor mounts ect, and then the shop above my workspace burnt down (I work out in the open) making it a bit more challenging. My girlfriend helps me with everything, I find by explaining everything to her I make less mistakes.

It's up and running, but won't idle so I'm waiting for cooler weather to fiddle with the DBW, but at least I have no engine codes.

I tried using an a750f transmission but it had different solenoids, so I found a way to adapt the a650e.

Also a picture of the carbon fiber center trim for the Lexus shifter, just trying it out to see what I can do with it.

Attachments

• damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 40
  • wiring2.jpg
    wiring2.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 36
  • wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 35
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 37
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 36
  • cf.jpg
    cf.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 650750.jpg
    650750.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 39
  • tundrapan.jpg
    tundrapan.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Did you supply 12 volts to the +BM terminal on the ecu? That powers the throttlebody.
Yes, I have power to it. I know the Supra guys were talking about the same symptom on the ECTS 1JZ but never had a solution other than lack of power. On my OBD scanner I can see the throttle position sensor responding but sometimes the actuator motor will hum loudly.

I find the DBW quite straightforward. I would check the following. Check the scanner shows BM+ is ON. Remove the BM+ fuse and it should show off. start the engine and idle speed should be high. Default the throttle plate sits open a bit. Then with the engine off and the air intake off power the circuit up and work the throttle watching the throttle plate open and close. I give them a good set of open and shut to make sure it all is operating fine. You can also confirm APS and TPS readings on the scantool.

If this all works and there are no DBW codes I would suspect the non idle issue is something else like air leaks , incorrect fuel pressure , poor injectors , failed coil , poor connection (especially coils) etc.

Good luck

I find the DBW quite straightforward. I would check the following. Check the scanner shows BM+ is ON. Remove the BM+ fuse and it should show off. start the engine and idle speed should be high. Default the throttle plate sits open a bit. Then with the engine off and the air intake off power the circuit up and work the throttle watching the throttle plate open and close. I give them a good set of open and shut to make sure it all is operating fine. You can also confirm APS and TPS readings on the scantool.

If this all works and there are no DBW codes I would suspect the non idle issue is something else like air leaks , incorrect fuel pressure , poor injectors , failed coil , poor connection (especially coils) etc.

Good luck
Thanks. Did everything you listed, then I turned the TBPS till the plate sat open a bit instead of completely closed. It still won't start, but there are no CEL codes.

One thought is I used the 4Runner fuel pump, is that an issue? I also have my 3UZ sitting right there, maybe I'll rob the coil packs and injectors for testing.

Also is the throttle control motor supposed to hum loudly when the ignition is on?

I have used 4 runner stock pumps on VVti without an issue but I always check they are healthy first. Also what fuel pressure are you running?

I often check the ECU will generate CEL codes by unplugging sensors. I have seen plenty of these with a wiring issue or ECU fault and they dont show codes.

Early 3uz have the same injectors (pink) as the 1uz VVti 1uz but later ones are a grey colour and are different

Coil packs on the Early 1uz VVti are unique to that engine. Later 1uz VVti share the coil packs with 3uz.

Yes the throttle motors hum quite loudly. Ill try and do a video of one I have here atm to compare.

The TPS and the APS have to be synced otherwise you will have issues, like not starting if they are way different.

I appreciate your expertise. I have relied on lextreme for a lot of info, and hope I can contribute in the future.

I used the fuel rail and pressure regulator off the non-VVTI engine, with custom brackets of course.

Haven't been able to mess with it till this morning, turned the TPS slightly (to open more) and now it runs perfect. I must have bumped it while replacing the intake manifold gaskets?

So now I am ready to do some shake-down testing.