1UZ Twin Turbo Subaru WRX Swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

RS5773

Hello All,

New to the forum and also first post. Being out of the automotive scene for a while, I’ve had the itch to start a new project that was different and unique and hopefully my final build. Well, I had an opportunity to purchase my daughters old car which has had 2 EJ205 engines and 1 transmission go sideways. This car had been sitting for a bit after my daughter and her boyfriend had moved on to building other cars.

After purchasing the WRX, I researched the Subaru drivetrain for the car and after seeing the Subaru pricing for engine and transmissions for this car it just wasn’t worth it.

Here is the shell
2D5CD426-980A-4BF6-A301-EC9749985293.jpeg
I wanted a different drivetrain, so Subaru was out and after coming up with an idea of a 1UZ swap, this opportunity presented itself. The motor is a low mile first gen 1UZ now is twin turbo mated to a Nissan (300Z) Z32 Trans. The motor combo was in the mid fab/build stage when it was pulled from the S chassis, it never ran in this configuration so the power levels are unknown.
B809EDDD-EB84-4155-8860-E405D5945927.jpeg
Manifolds...beautiful work. Not my handy work.
233E38A8-09BF-45D5-A16C-2AE4035CA9AD.jpeg

From my measurements the engine should fit nicely in the engine bay except for the slave cylinder and the dog bone bracket on the firewall. Bracket will have to be removed and the slave changed or relocated for a possible pedal assembly.

This build will take time as I want to make it rear wheel drive only and install a Supra diff in the back as well as the laundry list of parts to buy and install. Horsepower goal is for 550-650 range, seems achievable. It will be on E85 running on a Megasquirt Pro and coil on plug.

Just thought I would introduce the build and myself. I look forward to learning more about this motor from the more experienced members

Richard

A very good friend of mine has a '98 Legacy with an "LS" V8, turbo and RWD that I've done quite a bit of wiring on (MS3X Goldbox to control the engine and 4L80E transmission and PiDash display integrated into "stock" power circuits, heat, lights etc.). Enormous amount of fabrication work, I can't count the number of times he's told someone not to do it, it's not worth it.
49484100876_34ac02a569_c.jpg
2020-02-03_12-48-50 by Numbchux, on Flickr

OK, now that we've agreed that logic doesn't apply...and you're doing it anyway. Yea, it's absolutely doable. You'll likely be fabricating your own front crossmember, that's what took the most time in his.

Look at the r200 Nissan diff, being that subarus use r160s and r180s, the r200 is a relatively easy retrofit. That's what he's using.

Numbchux, thank you for the advice and reply to my madness. You are so right, I can see that this will be a substantial fab intensive costly build for sure but it will be unique. I had my daughters boyfriend tell me when he did a supercharged VK56 into a S13 and reiterated that he would never do a that kind of swap again either but with you and him both giving me sound advice and logic. With that said, if you have been bitten by the car bug, logic is for sure long gone and so are any financial wise decisions.

Your buddy’s build looks awesome by the way. Nice job.

There is a company in Oregon called TSS Fab that makes a nice front subframe and also rear tubular members for the Subaru's. On the flip side I have a welder and can bend tube so I’m not really scared to take the challenge on.

Regarding the diff, I was on to the R200 diff, I was concerned if it would be strong enough. I also thought about using the Nissan Z33 350Z diff which is pretty stout. If you think of any ideas send them my away.

Look forward to providing updates with my madness.

Richard

Richard,

This car building is a pointless and expensive disease but I don't want anyone to find a cure.

I'm currently up to my armpits in swapping an SR20DE (2litre Nissan) into a Suzuki MightyBoy (Google that one!) that originally came from the factory with a 550cc engine.

It will cost more than it will ever be worth, but you can't take it with you.

Numbchux, thank you for the advice and reply to my madness. You are so right, I can see that this will be a substantial fab intensive costly build for sure but it will be unique. I had my daughters boyfriend tell me when he did a supercharged VK56 into a S13 and reiterated that he would never do a that kind of swap again either but with you and him both giving me sound advice and logic. With that said, if you have been bitten by the car bug, logic is for sure long gone and so are any financial wise decisions.

Your buddy’s build looks awesome by the way. Nice job.

There is a company in Oregon called TSS Fab that makes a nice front subframe and also rear tubular members for the Subaru's. On the flip side I have a welder and can bend tube so I’m not really scared to take the challenge on.

Regarding the diff, I was on to the R200 diff, I was concerned if it would be strong enough. I also thought about using the Nissan Z33 350Z diff which is pretty stout. If you think of any ideas send them my away.

Look forward to providing updates with my madness.

Richard

I'm abundantly familiar with TSS Fab, we used their front and rear subframes and rear control arms for the GC8 rally car that I crewed for for several years. Fantastic fabrication work. Same guy won't use them, some suspicion of copying someone elses design for rear knuckles. I don't know the details...so please do your own research to make a decision.

Another source: https://www.v8wrx.com/

I just texted him about the r200. He thinks he's on the outside edge of what that diff can handle. Your setup is probably capable of more depending on the details. Also he's running an automatic. He's planning a Ford 8.8 solid axle swap. Then again, there are guys drag racing S1x that break axles first, so it might be fine.

Last edited:
Hello gloverman, I just test fitted the motor and it fits pretty good. I will have to make some changes to the subframe. Here a pic of the test fit. It needs to go down and back.

Attachments

• 31022103-D641-4CFA-B85C-0D9E64C6B3E6.jpeg
    31022103-D641-4CFA-B85C-0D9E64C6B3E6.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 31
They look messy at the start dont they. Good thing too, because it can only get better!
Nice fit so far mate. Once its nestled in, you wont even notice it.

Watching with interest!

Jeff

QUOTE="Zuffen, post: 145565, member: 501"]I'm currently up to my armpits in swapping an SR20DE (2litre Nissan) into a Suzuki MightyBoy (Google that one!) that originally came from the factory with a 550cc engine.

It will cost more than it will ever be worth, but you can't take it with you.
[/QUOTE]

Can't take it with you? Regardless of where you are going, No-one in their right mind would take a suzuki Mightyboy, (Boot/trunk big enough for an anorexics' cut lunch! )
I'm, re-engining a Triumph TR7, compared to a Mightyboy (who decided on that name???) A TR7 is a Ferrari!
You are obviously madder than me, (Very low bar) I will start a thread to prove it!
I recall mentioning about 10 years ago here, a Mightyboy with an LS1 in it, hope I'm not going to be held responsible for your current affliction.
My wife describes the TR7 as a clown car how would you describe the Mightyboy?

Attachments

• Suzuki.jpg
    Suzuki.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 0
A friend tried his best to get me to talk my son out of buying the MightyBoy.

He said it was a coffin on wheels.

Well after 2 years he's still alive.

His car was originally red like your photo.

Now it looks like this.

IMG-0405.jpg

Hello All,

New to the forum and also first post. Being out of the automotive scene for a while, I’ve had the itch to start a new project that was different and unique and hopefully my final build. Well, I had an opportunity to purchase my daughters old car which has had 2 EJ205 engines and 1 transmission go sideways. This car had been sitting for a bit after my daughter and her boyfriend had moved on to building other cars.

After purchasing the WRX, I researched the Subaru drivetrain for the car and after seeing the Subaru pricing for engine and transmissions for this car it just wasn’t worth it.

Here is the shell
View attachment 13913
I wanted a different drivetrain, so Subaru was out and after coming up with an idea of a 1UZ swap, this opportunity presented itself. The motor is a low mile first gen 1UZ now is twin turbo mated to a Nissan (300Z) Z32 Trans. The motor combo was in the mid fab/build stage when it was pulled from the S chassis, it never ran in this configuration so the power levels are unknown.
View attachment 13915
Manifolds...beautiful work. Not my handy work.
View attachment 13914

From my measurements the engine should fit nicely in the engine bay except for the slave cylinder and the dog bone bracket on the firewall. Bracket will have to be removed and the slave changed or relocated for a possible pedal assembly.

This build will take time as I want to make it rear wheel drive only and install a Supra diff in the back as well as the laundry list of parts to buy and install. Horsepower goal is for 550-650 range, seems achievable. It will be on E85 running on a Megasquirt Pro and coil on plug.

Just thought I would introduce the build and myself. I look forward to learning more about this motor from the more experienced members

Richard
Can you pm me??