1uz swap, limp mode?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
so i got the check engine light to work, turns on with key power, start engine and it stays on steady.
earth/ground TE1 and the light stays the same

Dailey has a good point. Some of the ECU's ran a fuel pump computer - they had FC for fuel control and DI which is the feedback from the fuel pump ECU. Early Soarer/SC400 had these but ran perfectly fine with another form of fuel control. It reoccurs through a few other models too just for fun.

The Gen 2 ECU's with the dual relay have a code for the fuel pump circuit. Fortunately the lexus/toyota enginners know how to put circuitry to indicate faults on the fuel pump outputs from the ECU. Hence the code 78.

I don't know lots of ways of making these ECU's work when not wired correctly as I pretty much always wire correctly to my own set of instructions and I don't have faults very often. I do however see lots of engines not wired correctly and I fix by wiring back to how they should be. I always wire the ECU so it I can plug in a scan tool and read faults. I always check it is generating faults and test by unplugging something.

Oil level will not cause an issue.

I put up a video on youtube of how I wire these engines. It happens to be a gen 2 manaul but unfortunately the video is crap and cuts out at 20 minutes. I'm reediting the video atm. It is part of my wiring instructions but gives an idea of how I do them. I'm also working on showing aftermarket ECU setup as well.

Last edited:
As for the fault codes that is a good start. If they arent wired correctly they also don't throw codes sometimes. I would try causing a fault. Maybe unplug the AFM. See if it throws a code. Then without deleting the code turn the key off and back on and see if the code is stored.

will try thanks, it almost has to be a wiring problem. I'm just not confident in the wiring at all

tried throwing multiple faults with no luck. the light briefly turns out while cranking
i did hook up the sta also

Yes i need that video completed lol if i knew the correct way of wiring it i would deff do it. just dont know if the diagrams i am following are up to par

okay so an update after much consideration and testing i ordered a rebuilt ecu. plugged it in and this one actually goes into diag mode!!!!
but will not run. throwing code 15 Ignition Signal #2 checked for spark and it is good. tried a different coil and a different set of igniters with no luck?

swapped igniter plugs to see if it followed to code 14 with no results. checked and have power to both connections 1 and 3 on the igniter plugs

Wait a moment. So you have a ECU which does run and won't go into diagnostic mode and a second with is rebuilt but won't run? Might I suggest the rebuilt one is faulty?

correct old one idles and runs great till 4000 rpm but wil not go into diag mode or over 4k

rebuilt one will start for about 2-3 sec and shut off code 15

i cant win with this stupid motor i swear, ready to burn it lol

If you watch my videos I start alot of engines in the workshop. Its often as I'm testing items before sending them out then I know my items function as they should and if there are issues I can guide my customer to fixing it knowing that at least some components are good. It would be really nice to know if your rebuilt ECU is good. Are they matching numbers?

No not matching numbers, i couldnt find one that matched anywhere.
But its close. Almost has to be the exu since the code does not follow to 14 if you change the igniter plugs.
I am just in a rush because i have a big event coming up next week and was desperate to see if it would work.

If i could find a matching # or compatibale and be able to get it shipped in time i would be all over it

I also work for an airline and fly for free so if someone just happens to have one for sale I can always fly in and grab it

Fingers Crossed its a good one. My wiring video is done. It works best with the instructions that I sell but there are some helpful pointers in there. I never share my best info publically though. Cheers

Sorry. The first link wasnt working as I deleted the first video. I was editing it and the second take had lots of new info the first version didnt have so I chose to throw the first one away. Second take is 20minutes shorter with more info.