1uz swap in 84 toyota pickup

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1fstyota

planning on doing the swap in a few months. i would like to use a w56 trans for now then maybe after it blows up switching to a r151 trans. looking for the cheapest way to get all of this mated together. also it needs to be california smog legal so i cant have a check engine light on and i need to find a stock intake off a sc400. anyone have any tips?
thanks

aside from the lack of cats my truck could be cali legal when i get done with it, I plan on useing all stock toyota parts to put my truck togather, stock sc400 air box, stock fuse box ect.

Im still about 2 months from my truck running, its been put off a few times. erg.

as for "when the W56 breaks" well uness you drive like an asshole or start makeing a ton of power, your R151 will have a very long wait before it gets its turn in the truck.

the type of driving i do is some of the worst you can for a trans. it is a high speed desert prerunner. the drivetrain goes through a ton of shock loading as the tires bounce through the rough stuff.

here are 2 examples of what it goes through...
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x9/bikecrazy91/?action=view&current=HPIM1855.flv

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x9/bikecrazy91/?action=view&current=HPIM1835.flv

in the last vid you can here the rpm going all over because of the tires coming off the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,579
  • IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,569
haha ya ive been getting that alot while getting info on this swap. i know people that run 600hp through a trans on the street and it lasts for years, then you take the same trans with a stock v6 and it blows up within a few months in the desert.
thanks for all your help BTW

Hmmmmm, Well I dont know a whole lot about desert racing and the type of stresses induced on drivetrain, but I would have thought that it would put less stress on drivetrain due to less traction. Normally, the more traction you have, the more likely your gonna break something in the drivetrain...

A common situation showing this would be a typical built up honda at the drag strip; making passes on street radials, everything holds up, but put that same car on a good set of drag radials or full drag slicks and the first thing to go is usually the half shalfs....

Again, Im not very familiar with desert racing so there is probably a lot more to it then im thinking of.....

He's probably in a situation similar to what we get with wheel hop.

I've had a couple of MKIV buddies break their 6spd diffs due to wheel hop, and that was with "only" 650 HP or so.

John, Yeah I agree with you with wheel hop part as it does put a lot of sudden shock load hits on the diff with on / off traction situation that acurres with wheel hop. Like you said though, its the diff that takes the brunt of the abuse, and the more lash that you have in the ring and pinnion, the more likely that you'll destroy the diff.

1fstyota is more taking about the trans not holding up and thats the part that im confused on.

all that shocking from wheel hop or the desert terrain is transmitted through the entire drivetrain, not just the diff. you can see this in my vids by my RPM bouncing all over the place.
a common example of this is the very common ford ranger. it is the most common truck to see in the desert. a few of my buddys that race with the ranger 5 spd have gone through several trans. they are running stock v6 motors and go through a trans about ever 2-3 races if there lucky. i have seen the insides of the transmissions after they have blowin up and teath are ripped right off the gears. it usuallys starts with 1 hard hit while on the gas that breaks 1 tooth then there is more room for slop so the next smaller hit breaks the next tooth and so on till you have a section with 7 or 8 teeth missing.

Has there ever been an attept at cryo treatment of those Ford gears? Or if there is the need, go with straight cut gears, or 'Dog Box' like the Subie guys do. Just some thoughts...

Shawn