1UZ Stainless Headers

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cjsupra90

Hey guy's Im posting here a bit of info about the Stainless headers (extractors) that I am building for my MKIII Supra swap. There is a thread about it in the Supra swap section, but John (JBrady) asked me to do a thread in the exhaust section too so here it is.....

They are (will be) fully stainless, all piping is 304L and the head flanges are 347 (the high dollar good crap and didn't cost me a dime :evil: ) Yes, they were free but only because the place that I was working at up until last week (got laid off) used 347 for a lot of stuff that we built and it was scrap material and we had a laser cutter there. They are Tri-Y (4-2-1) design. Pipe size layout (although a bit different from standard norms) are 1.5" primary's, 1.875" secondary's and 2.5" final collectors. I know that the secondary's and final collector might seem a bit large but I am doing this based on some info that was giving to me by a guy that build header for Jaguar 4.0l v8's. Based on what he told me and showed me dyno plots, this gave a better average torque curve throughout the entire RPM range of the motor. He showed me 12 differant dyno plots (4sets of 3 for an average of each set up). The setups where all done with the same 2.5" duel exahust. The first set was with stock manifolds, the second set was with more normal sized (1.5", 1.75", 2" megaphoned to 2.5") tri-Y's, the third set what with 4 into 1 (1.5" primary's, 2.5" merged collector) and the forth was the set up like what Im doing....

The first setup was a baseline (car alread had the 2.5" exhaust on it).

The second setup ( more normal sized Tri-Y ) showed nice gains in the low range and tapered off through the mid range with very little gain above 5200RPM.

The third Setup (4 into 1) showed a small loss in the low range, a slight gain in the mid range and good gains in the high range

The forth setup (Tri-Y but with bigger tubes for the secondary's and collectors) show not as much gain in the low range as the standard tri-y's more mid range then any other setup, and not quite as much gains in the top end like the 4 into 1's.
Basically that setup showed a much flatter torque curve then any other setup and was noticably stronger then the baseline through out the entire RPM range of the engine
I dont remember the number to be exact, but I do know that all pulls where done on an engine dyno, not a chassis dyno and all were done from 1500 to 7000 RPMs...

If I can find a way to get back in touch with him, I'll see if he will let me post the dyno plot's with all the exact specs for each setup.

I'd love to baseline my setup but that base line will be with everything Im gonna do performance wise with the exception of possibly a supercharger or turbo's at a later date so there would be nothing to compair it to being that everything that is going to be done, will be done the first time the car is started with the swap...

Anyways, here are some pictures of the progress.... Currently only working on the Drivers side as it is the tight harder side having the steering shaft there and being a left hand drive car, it also happens to be the side that cylinders get skipped when grouped (i.e. 1&5 and 3&7 are the matched pairs) where as the right side is grouped 2&4 and 6&8

Sorry for the lack of image quality. As usual, everytime I go and do any work on anything, I forget to bring the camera and have to rely on my phone. (and as we all know, 1.3 megapixel is not that great)

Here are the primary's tacked together.
L-Header01.jpg
L-Header02.jpg
L-Header03.jpg

A couple of pix of the collector pieces being cut.
001.jpg
002.jpg

All 4 of the primary to secondary 2 into 1 merge collectors welded up.
007.jpg

The 2 secondary to final collector merges welded up.
006.jpg

A few other shots of the 2 into 1 units. (dont remember which ones are which. They might even all be of the same one. Its been a while since I did them)
006.jpg
004.jpg

A couple of shots of the most recent work which is the primary's welded, first set of collectors welded and one of the seconday's welded (but not complete. The other primary to secondary still has to have the end cut before the seconary gets welded on, then both seconday's will be finsh and joined with the last collector into the main collector body.
008.jpg
009.jpg

Lastly, here are a couple of pix showing the fitment on a bare block and head in a A70 supra chassis (thanks to Jake ans Sean). The clearance is far better then I thought it would be. One thing to note, these are being build on a engine Jig that I have at the house and just going off of dimensions taken from a car. Doing it this way, I was really worried about putting all this time into it only to find out that they interfer with the steering shaft, but needless to say, there is a mile of clearance afterall as you can see below....
Header01.jpg
Header02.jpg
Header03.jpg

Im still haven't decided as to what type of flanges to use for connection to the exhaust (2bolt, 3bolt, V-band). Im kinda siding towards V-bands...

Well thats it for now, Im open to comments, questions or suggestions if anyone has any, feel free.....

Great post!

I have been wanting to do some specific header dyno testing. If you can get those plots PLEASE post them!

Merger collectors are great but I want to experiment with nozzle collectors as well. Could be the hot ticket for street engines.

Chris those headers look super! Really a job to be proud of. I've always wanted to learn to weld, but at my age, it's probably best to leave it to someone younger with steadier hands and better eyes ;-)

Any thoughts of jigging up and turning out a few sets in 321 while you're between jobs?

BTW, how thick are those 347 flanges?

lol big stickout on that electrode lol somebody was welding inside his collector before he quit welding for the pic lol

looks good!

Chris those headers look super! Really a job to be proud of. I've always wanted to learn to weld, but at my age, it's probably best to leave it to someone younger with steadier hands and better eyes ;-)

Any thoughts of jigging up and turning out a few sets in 321 while you're between jobs?

BTW, how thick are those 347 flanges?

John, thanks for the compliment. I am pretty proud of them thus far especially after finding out that the left side fits with so much extra room, and to think, I was worried about being able to get between an 1/8 to 3/16 clearance....

As for jigging up and turning out a few in 321, as much as I would love to, I dont have the capital to be able to do so or I would.

The flanges are 3/8", I really wanted them to be 1/2" but there was no drops of 1/2" 347 that they would fit on so I had to settle for 3/8" unless I bought some and why pay for 1/2" when 3/8" was free.

lol big stickout on that electrode lol somebody was welding inside his collector before he quit welding for the pic lol

looks good!

:lol: yeah if your talking about the photo that I think you are, then yeah there is between 3/8" to 1/2" stickout there...... Nope, wasn't welding inside the collector, was about to weld the deep V'ed areas at the inlet ends of the collectors but stopped and thought for a minute, "thats a waste of time, gas and filler being that that area was getting cut off afterwards anyways".... just hadn't pushed the electrode back in yet when the picture was taken....

Beautiful headers!! Very nice and clean welds too!!! Look forward to your results.

Ryan

Ryan, thanks for the compliments... yeah your not the only one looking forward to the results.... I really curious about the results too, I just wish that I had other setups to test for a good comparison to see what they are truely worth....

Well got around to doing a bit more work yesterday to the left header. ended up running out of 1.875 straight pipe to finish the seconday for the 1 & 5 paired group or that header would have been completed minus the flange at the collector cause I still dont know whether Im going to go with a 2bolt, 3bolt or V-band plus ran out of argon (damn-it) so I guess it didn't matter anyways. Got to go get more gas tomorrow (atleast I get it for free) and see if I cant find a local place that has 1.875 stainless in stock and sells cut lengths.........

Also had to cut the secondary off of the 1 & 5 pair that I already had done cause I took some dimensions an came to realize that I was going to end up about an inch to high and far to the left with the secondary's to where there were going to interfew with the floor board and I dont reall want to reform the floor so just rework the secondary's a bit....

090608001.jpg
090608002.jpg
090608003.jpg
090608004.jpg

Chris if it's only capital that's keeping you from making more of these, I've got a solution for you:

"GROUP BUY!!!"

Chris if it's only capital that's keeping you from making more of these, I've got a solution for you:

"GROUP BUY!!!"

John, although that is a good Idea. I dont like to do anything with any exchange of money unless I have the particular item ready at that time to ship. To me its too much hassle should a situation arise that I cant for some reason go though with it or whatnot, then I have to worry about refunding money to everyone and chances are that that money is tied up in material.... If anything, I'd rather do things on a one on one bases Kinda like I was doing with the MA70 swap mounts, but with those I had a few pairs done at a time and ready to ship or just notifed people who wanted a set once they were done but the material didn't cost me anything for those, the only cost to me was time.

so... if I was to tow my supra down your way with the motor mounted and exhaust flanges you'd be able to make them for me?... I'm serious, as the race shops around here seem to rushed to mess with my project and local exhaust shops just dont have the know how or time. How long did it take for you to make those beauties on your car?

Lowboost/Chris : If all party's are willing, we could do this it my house i can roll the corolla outside so the supra can be worked on inside the garage (within power cord range of the 220outlet) I will be ordering the materials and a few tools for my 4into1 headers for my supra early next week and commencing this project shortly there after. so by the time that is done everything at my garage should be setup for header fab. and Chris has the know how to do it in a timely fashion. Chris hasn't been busting ass to finish his set really, kinda working on it on the side. my set i would like to have finished in a couple of days, so we will see how long that really takes to give you an idea after mine are done.

so... if I was to tow my supra down your way with the motor mounted and exhaust flanges you'd be able to make them for me?... I'm serious, as the race shops around here seem to rushed to mess with my project and local exhaust shops just dont have the know how or time. How long did it take for you to make those beauties on your car?

This could very well be aranged especially with Jake's comment after this about doing it at his place cause I dont have the room to keep the car myself....

PM me and we could talk about it in more detail.