1uz manual conversion?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hey, sorry for the delay in posting, i saw this question the other day but was too busy with my car to take the time to reply...

There is no one stop shop for manual conversions. its a part together your self kinda thing.

first of all what car do you have? this only partly matters because of the clutch pedal, I'm assuming you have a car that comes stock with a 1uz so sc ls or gs, if you have an sc this is easy, get a clutch pedal from a manual sc and i think the supra one works as well. the other cars you might have to get creative a little bit. to get the pedal to bolt in...

aside from that this is the list of parts you will need...

Transmission - W85 and R154 are the most common

Flywheel - Superrunner on this forum sells a modified stock Toyota truck flywheel that works best, others have used modified mr2 flywheels but there harder to modify and not the safest option.

Clutch - this heavily depends on the flywheel and transmission combo you use, I'm using the superrunner flywheel and a W58, so I'm using a stock application non turbo 3rd gen supra clutch, although i had to re drill my flywheel for the clutch.

Adaptor - There are a few people who make adaptors for various transmission, mine was made by Phil Bradshaw, i forgot his contact info at the moment but people around here know it. there are others that make adaptors for the R154 and V160 some company's in Australia make complete bell housings but it seems to me they are much harder to get your hands on as the company's don't seem to work well over the Internet.

Slave Cyl - I'm using a Howe Chevy style slave cyl that is sold at summit racing part number 82870 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=HRE-82870&N=700+115&autoview=sku

a few cars you might need to change the brake booster for a smaller one as it would interfere with the clutch master cyl placement although i don't know what cars have this problem off hand.

I feel im missing something but oh well someone will chime in or ill rember and post later..

heres a few pics of my 1uz, w58, superrunner flywheel, clutch, howe slave ect.....

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

img_4895.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

awesome reply, it's an 94 nd a 93 ls400.
i wuz gonna use a universal clutch pedal the ones dirt cars and stock cars use.
i'm aiming on the r154 heard there good
so all i would need for th r154 is an adaptor so Y does everyone get the complete bellhousing

also having little idea when it comes to gear box's let alone conversions i thought id bump this old thread instead of starting a new...

im after some pics of a manual conversion done to the LS400... specifically the 1990 model... just want to see how it all fits together.. ie clutch pedel.... and any first hand experiance/issues people gained/found during the conversion process...

cheers

well this thread was part of what started this, and ive sence forgot about the thread but ive started to make parts and soon conversion kits for makeing lexus cars manual.

I currenly have the w58 adaptor plate made and have sold a few, im a week or so away from having my 1uz aluminum flywheel made.

In the next two weeks so so I will be converting an SC400 for one of our members. My later goal is to be able to provide all the custom parts plus info on where to get all the off the shelf parts to do a manual conversion for the SC LS and GS400 although it all takes time.

if you need any help let me know.

well this thread was part of what started this, and ive sence forgot about the thread but ive started to make parts and soon conversion kits for makeing lexus cars manual.

I currenly have the w58 adaptor plate made and have sold a few, im a week or so away from having my 1uz aluminum flywheel made.

In the next two weeks so so I will be converting an SC400 for one of our members. My later goal is to be able to provide all the custom parts plus info on where to get all the off the shelf parts to do a manual conversion for the SC LS and GS400 although it all takes time.

if you need any help let me know.

very keen to seen what you produce at the end... good luck with it all.

It isn't correct to say there isn't a "one stop shop" for manual conversions.

CRS and Dellow make kits in Australia and a few companies in NZ make them.

Given the current US/AUS/NZ exchange rate I would simply import a kit from OZ or NZ.

They are proven to work as there are hundreds of them on the road.

At least 5 companies in OZ make flywheels to suit the UZ.

It isn't correct to say there isn't a "one stop shop" for manual conversions.

CRS and Dellow make kits in Australia and a few companies in NZ make them.

Given the current US/AUS/NZ exchange rate I would simply import a kit from OZ or NZ.

They are proven to work as there are hundreds of them on the road.

At least 5 companies in OZ make flywheels to suit the UZ.

That is true, but you have to realize, in the states, there is not much available. Jake will be providing a 1 stop place in the states for this swap.

R154 is a much stronger box, but its also ~15kg heavier, longer, shifting doesnt feel as nice, and much more expensive (about 3 times the price) compared to the W58.

If your going to be running a 1UZ with FI (turboed, and esp supercharged), you would be silly not to go with the R154 (or stronger).
W58 will be fine for a NA 1UZ, unless you really like to give your gearboxes a hard time (button clutch, lots of hard launches, etc).

I beg to differ on how weak the W58 box really is.. They are a lot stonger then what most think. I personally have laid down 473 rwhp in my supra on an old turbo set up. Jake as laid down close to that power too...

Its all in how you treat it... The point that MPW made about the button clutchs and hard launchs is very true and that will destroy even the best of tranny's in time. The other points that he pointed out about the downfalls to the r154 are very true too.

mahre, one reason that I would suggest that you concider a W58 in your case is shifter location in your SC. Unless your going to get a R154 imported from a real Soarer, the US (Supra) R154 is going to have the shifter way to far forward. You would have to make a custom remote shifter. With the W58, you just need one from a Manual SC300 or a N/A MKIV supra here in the states and the shifter will be in the right spot. The remote shifter R154 was never used in any cars here in the states.

Oh on a different note about the how much power a W58 can handle, I also have laid down 564 whp through one, but it was also backed up to a rotary engine and in a 2200lb car. The engine also made that much power at 10,000RPM so there wasn't a whole lot of torque and toque not power is what kills a tranny... (The engine itself dyno'd 633 flywheel hp at 10,000rpm which was 332 flywheel tq and the engine only had a peak torque of 351 at 7000rpm..)

buddy sent me this pic... and heres a quote from him..

"Jake,
Here is my broken parts out of the R154, Looks like the roller bearing housing split and then broke the thrust washer and then it pushed the broken thrust washer into the ball bearing and ate up the dust shield.

My stock supra on bald tires broke the awesome R154. On Transmission #5 and counting."

broken.JPG

thrust washer broke first, not the other way around, they do this all the time

The thrust washer is the problem.

Simple solution is replace the thrust washer with a hardened item.

This is pretty standard practice here in Australia.