1UZ into my Off-Road Long Travel Tacoma

What type of finish for the aluminum parts that are left?

• A gruelling smooth and shiny polish.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A nice even and bright abrasive sanding.

• A quick acid wash to bleach them nice and bright.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hey guys thanks for the recent comments. I've been playing around with too many projects this past year. People are dumping cars that they can't fix for really cheap so I picked up a NICE Audi Quattro 6spd and a perfect (and fast) running 2001 Honda Prelude that just has a bent up fender. I need to do some prep and maintenance on my 1UZ now to get ready to use it this spring and summertime. :D I also picked up a GoPro camera which should be pretty fun. I held out for so long and I'm glad I did. The new Hero2 version is so much better than the previous ones. Here is something I shot today to do some testing and editing. I'm going to make a mount to put the camera lower and more towards the right side I think. The sound is not that great but videos tend to be very boring if there isn't music playing so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I have a digital sound recorded that I could use for sound and put join that with the GoPro video... maybe later sometime. Here is some 1UZ music for you all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzzLjFWWh0

Interesting info Sideshow. I have a feeling you are correct about the flooding effect with the std ecu. I get really good fuel economy with mine running the Adaptronic. I haven't even done much in the way of fine tuning, sadly. But it runs great so far with what I have done. I'll be doing more because I know it can be better as I can feel a dip in power at lower rpm. I just want to be careful and have a method to the madness instead of just guessing at the changes I make. To answer your question I haven't put a std ecu to this engine and the only std ecu controlled 1UZ's I've driven were in mostly stock LS400s. I'm surprised at the AF ratio you experienced but it makes sense. That surely must help with the longevity of the stock transmissions as well.

Thanks for the props everyone. It has been a long and relatively expensive road building this truck. The problem now is that I'm investing money and time into other wiser ventures instead of pouring it into my trucks. :D I'm not done though trust me.

Cobber I am using predictive map for sure. It's a must if you want that instant timing belt jumping power! hehe. Just watch the video and you'll see the rpms snap instantly any time my foot flinches on that throttle. I love how the Adaptronic makes the engine jump but for driving offroad it's a horrible characteristic. When hitting the bumps and grooves in the dirt you can't hold your foot still at all no matter how hard you try and the touchy predictive throttle makes you jerk the truck forward which is really annoying. So when I hit the dirt I have to get out the laptop and back off the predictive table for sure. That was a great feature they added indeed. I was pretty disappointed with the throttle response until I was able to download their new software which included it. I need to check out their website and see what's new over there with the 420a. Yes VE tuning is the way to go. I just left the rev limiter off. The cams do a good job of softening up the upper RPMs enough for me. :D

I know this thread hasn't had any updates in 6 months, anything new? Thinking about doing a similar project, I'll pm you about it.

@ Smitherz ...

This is one full grade topic on the most beloved engine ever builded.
You make the most horny picas with your poadercoatfetish.
I can only say it is a man's dream what you did, many owners will follow your path. Like me ... i do not own a 4x4 but i own a LS400 build gen 1 1991.

I see what you do and i am planning the same trip so i bought an spare engine with 190.000 km and saved up for the complete engine swap with my old engine. This old UZFE is in need of serious overhaul 440.000 km on the clock and still gliding on full air shocks.
So i ordered a mass of gaskets, filters, oilseals, pumps, belts to get both engines like new. the budget is a disaster because i need to pay a ton of shippingcosts due to the fact that i live in bad part of the bleu planet.

I could really use some friends overseas that are willing to gather and box parts and ship them in one time.

Sorry to hijack your sweetpie but to remind the planet i kick it sky high.

greetings from the Netherlands Lexter