1UZ into my Off-Road Long Travel Tacoma

What type of finish for the aluminum parts that are left?

• A gruelling smooth and shiny polish.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A nice even and bright abrasive sanding.

• A quick acid wash to bleach them nice and bright.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Not the best quality pictures but all I had with me was my cell phone. Making some major progress. We'll start on a front bumper next and finish the front off with a removable crossmember over the engine. It's amazing how fast we run through the tubing while we are adding more and more of it to the truck. The cab is also fully supported by the cage instead of just flexing up and down on top of the stock frame mounts.

Photo_012411_019.jpg

Photo_012411_021.jpg

Thanks RMA this truck is a dream come true for me. So fun to drive and friends of mine that I give rides to just get evil grins on their faces every time. I can't believe how fast this thing is just driving it around. It reminds me of riding a motorcycle. You just barely hit the gas, shift a couple times and your already moving faster than any traffic around you. It's ridiculous. Like driving a race car on the street, everyone is just in your way and you aren't even trying to go fast or anything. I'm getting a diesel work truck really soon so the Tacoma won't be used for errands and work much longer. :D I need a tow rig so I can trailer the Taco out to the desert for some fun. Right now it's streetable and the next step might push it overboard. New 9in rear, custom front long travel arms and fiberglass fenders will result in a pretty insane looking Tacoma. I have the heart of the truck completed so adding on everything else at once is the next step.

It's back in service and I put'er back to work. You can't even tell it has a full roll cage in it. Keeps it from looking too ridiculous driving around town. But when I do the bumpers here soon that might change. :rolleyes:
1uz_work_truck.jpg

Hehe that's for sure. I can't wait to get started on the next phase. I just need a million dollars it feels like. :) How many years have I been building this truck? Never count how much time and money you have thrown at your projects.

I hear that SPF. I would have had a super race truck by now if the economy was rolling along like it was before. :) The plans just take longer now is all. And Dunkin it's good to see you get your project rollin. Glad some of the details here could help make that one of the best 4Runners out there. Beautiful ride you got. There is a guy near me who swapped in the newer 5VZ V6 engine into his older 4Runner and it's a nice ride for sure. But when he met me and saw my 1UZ he was REALLY bummed that he could have done the same!

Smitherz I am starting a 1 uz swap into a 95 pickup race truck in a month already got motor and trans, truck is caged with bypasses front and rear. I'm doing the swap in socal At my shop but lived in slo for 5 years and am coming through town in two weeks wondering if I could stop by see the truck and pick your brain a bit. Here's my email hit me up [email protected] Thanks

Hey Smitherz, great to see the beast finally roadworthy! The attention to detail really seems to have paid off. Have you taken it off road yet? how does it go in the dirt?

Hey Smitherz, great to see the beast finally roadworthy! The attention to detail really seems to have paid off. Have you taken it off road yet? how does it go in the dirt?

Mr. Earthman! Yeap I've played around in the dirt some. It's just an extremely fast truck. The engine is a blast to rev around all the time. I air down all the way with the beadlocks on and the truck will still break traction at any time offroad. It's just what I had always wanted! I have a set of paddle tires I was supposed to have tried out this weekend but the timing isn't right quite yet. A friend of mine is having a new ECU put in his race truck right now so I'm waiting for him to get his rig going so we can go play around. There are rumors of a sand drag race between us. :) I'll keep yall updated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzYsObXm-4
Snazzy lights sitting on top of paddles I will hurry up and try out sometime soon.

tacoma_lighting_01.jpg

Heck yeah, v8 grunt is whats needed to play in the dunes. When your on the prowl out in glamis/occotillo, take some vids of you passing up those 4.0l rangers :D

BTW, nice light bar.. is that going to be a high mount tail lamp?

OH MAN THE 1UZ IS A BEAST! Sorry spf and others just been busy workin on all sorts of stuff and the last couple weeks have been actually using my truck for things I intended to use it for. :D I got all sorts of little things taken care of and I had to swap in another transfer case because a roll pin sheered in my old one causing me to lose the ability to shift into 4wd. SO I spent one weekend in the sand with my sand paddles which was a great learning experience. They worked GREAT and I would have been stuck many times in the sand if I didn't have them. They don't work as good as 4wd BUT with the V8 torque I would have buried my rear end so many times if I didn't have the paddles to push the truck forward. Plus once I was at speed they really offered some more traction. Last time I went out with 2wd and no paddles I didn't spend that much time on the sand because even aired down to 5psi I still didn't have nearly as much traction as I wanted.

NOW I have my spare transfer case installed and 4wd is back in action. WHAT a huge difference! I went out last weekend without the paddles because I knew I wouldn't need them. I just aired down to 5psi in the back and 8 in the front and I had all the traction I needed. It was so awesome with 4wd and the V8 engine under the hood. There was no way I was getting stuck and I didn't even have to use 4LO like I had to with the 3rz 4cyl engine! I just used 1st and 2nd gear which allows me to torque around from a stand still to 60mph at full rev in 2nd. I hardly had to shift at all which is really nice offroad. I remember with the 4cyl engine I had to use 4LO and shift a lot to get the truck moving around at a good pace revving the crap out of the engine. Now I hardly have to use the gas pedal at all and its extremely fast.

I just recently went through the trouble of mounting the light bar up top as well. I had to make a full custom rack and brackets for it so I spent a good days worth of labor on it but it's perfect. Light will never be a problem again. :) I'll throw up some pictures soon! Plus I have pictures of a smaller lightbar that a friend of mine just bought from the same company for his fishing boat.

Just an update. I've been using the truck for a daily driver for a while now. Everything runs great. I'll be meeting a whole bunch of friends at the Pismo Dunes Friday for the afternoon so I need to check things over tomorrow and get ready. I have plans for more suspension upgrades and the new 9" rear end but that will be next spring sometime I hope. I'm just happy I can drive it around like normal and get decent fuel mileage. I don't have an odometer in the truck so I can't say what I'm getting for MPG exactly but it's not bad! With this standalone ECU you just have to make SURE that you go easy on the throttle when you are accelerating. If you give it more throttle then the truck can accelerate then you are just wasting fuel. It WILL pump more fuel into the engine when you press the throttle. With a factory engine and computer it won't put excess fuel into the engine, any more than it needs to pick up speed. So when you slam the throttle down in a stock truck the ECU won't flood the engine because it knows it can't possible accelerate more. But with an aftermarket it will. I know this because when I fill up I can tell if I'm using a ton of fuel or not by how much I am putting in the tank. When I baby the throttle (still accelerating normally though - just not really fast and irresponsibly) for a few days and go get fuel it takes a lot less.

tacoma_gas_station_02.jpg

tacoma_lazerstar_led_01.jpg

Well done and good to see you are having some fun.

Are you using predictive map for accelerator pump / transient throttle? If you are just reduce the values in the table slightly. You could also try to adjust the Asynch gain % too. Closed loop mode should trim the fuel to the afr's you have set up.

If you convert your fuel map to VE tuning it is easy then to just adjust the afr's table without having to re tune the whole map.

Just an update. I've been using the truck for a daily driver for a while now. Everything runs great. I'll be meeting a whole bunch of friends at the Pismo Dunes Friday for the afternoon so I need to check things over tomorrow and get ready. I have plans for more suspension upgrades and the new 9" rear end but that will be next spring sometime I hope. I'm just happy I can drive it around like normal and get decent fuel mileage. I don't have an odometer in the truck so I can't say what I'm getting for MPG exactly but it's not bad! With this standalone ECU you just have to make SURE that you go easy on the throttle when you are accelerating. If you give it more throttle then the truck can accelerate then you are just wasting fuel. It WILL pump more fuel into the engine when you press the throttle. With a factory engine and computer it won't put excess fuel into the engine, any more than it needs to pick up speed. So when you slam the throttle down in a stock truck the ECU won't flood the engine because it knows it can't possible accelerate more. But with an aftermarket it will. I know this because when I fill up I can tell if I'm using a ton of fuel or not by how much I am putting in the tank. When I baby the throttle (still accelerating normally though - just not really fast and irresponsibly) for a few days and go get fuel it takes a lot less.

tacoma_gas_station_02.jpg

tacoma_lazerstar_led_01.jpg

It looks amazing! Wow!

have u ever tested a std ecu
my 1uz used to go below 10.1 air fuel
when u stand on the throttle with the std ecu
after some tests I found that the std ecu dumps
heaps of fuel in once throttle gets over 85 or 90 %

I'm guessing this is so u don't blow motors up and
Toyota get heaps of warranty claims

so by going after market ecu u get power by leaning
top end mixtures and also get better fuel economy