1UZ into Jensen Healey convertible

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

other

Well, I figured it's about time I started the thread for this project. (Hopefully give me some time to figure out how to post pictures etc.) The brief precis is that my Mk 1 Jensen Healey sustained some damage when a motorbike blew over on it in a windstorm (I know, shut the bloody garage door !), and needed a new bonnet on insurance. No new bonnets available, and I was able to buy a complete car for about the same price as a bonnet alone. About the same time, a mate offered me his LS400 which had hit the arse of a van (quite lightly, just bodywork and radiator damage) for a song. So. . . . .I figured on using the 'spare', registered Healey with the Lexus running gear . . . . Since then, my mate has changed his mind about selling me the LS, but by then the bug had bitten ! Enter 'Samsdad', what a fkn star ! Simon has been so unbelievably helpful, and I haven't even met the man yet ! So, new engine and auto sourced, but unfortunately won't be available until the middle of March :)( . . . . .damn it ! ). Decided to go manual trans, coz, well, you just have to in a 2 seater open-top sports car ! Simon sourced me a R150 gearbox, and the adaptor bellhousing has arrived and sitting next to my desk as we speak. Bonnet is now off the Mk2 Healey for Lotus engine removal, (unfortunately the insurance repair on the Mk1 is still not under way !), and I have almost completed a large extension on my workshop, which should make life a bit easier. . . . . . . If someone can advise on posting pics on this forum, I'll get a few "before" shots up . . . . . .

Welcome - always like to see classic Brit cars getting repowered with the 1UZ's. Some call it heresy, but I think these little 4 cam, 32 valve lumps fit the character of these cars just fine, while giving them a nice boost of power.

About posting pics, below the window where you're doing the typing is a section called "Additional Options", and there's a button called "Manage Attachments". That's for attaching pics. Click that, and the rest should be pretty intuitive. Try to keep the pics a manageable size like 1024 x 768, but if they're not, the forum software should compress them down.

Sounds good to me! Another 1uz'er!

BTW, I assuming the idiom "for a song" means for cheap?

Yep, cheap as in $400 ! Shame it fell through coz I ended up paying a far more realistic price for an engine and auto, with ECU. The major benefit I guess was that I now have the SC rear-sump engine, which should require considerably less work to persuade into a little Healey engine bay . . . .

Right, first attempt at posting 'before' pics. This is the poor old Healey that's about to be violated (in a good cause). Yes, the factory hardtop is ugly, that's being relegated to the back of the shed ! I know it's a bit of a bunkie, but there's nothing serious, just 40 years of cosmetic neglect, and a little bit of rust here and there. Biggest problem is the passenger side sill (rocker panel) and door striker post have some rot. Footwells are also a bit dodgy, but all easy fixes. Engine package arrived early, and is ready for pick up. R150 box, flywheel and bellhousing sorted . . . . . let the fun begin !

OK, bugger it, pictures didn't work, it seems . . . . I'll have another go !

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 23
Well we finally caught up today when Greg turned up at my shop with a '95 Soarer/SC400 powertrain on the back of the obligatory Hilux (work ute). Probably a good thing that there were not any beers in the fridge or we'd still be there solving the worlds problems and generally talking shite.. I really reckon that after the UZ is in it must be painted BRG with gold striping and some either Cheviot Hotwire mags or the SD1 Vitesse style BBS alloys. Remember what my little girl is studying ATM.. There's the painter. I'm probably going to hate making it all go and work but can't wait for the test drive. 900kg car with 200kw of UZ loving... Sex on wheels people

It was cool to catch up on Friday, and you're right . . . . if there had been beer in the fridge, I'm hard to get rid of ! Bad news on the BRG colour scheme though. . . . . . I can't paint any car green, no matter how good it looks. Only had 3 car crashes in my life, all big ones, and all in green cars ! So, probably a claret and cream theme, or Union Jack, or . . . . . anything, just can't be green. If it goes like I hope it will, it could be painted nipple pink, I'd still drive it !
I keep looking at that great big engine sitting alongside the tiny little car, and doubts creep in. Twice now I've had the tape measure out to reassure myself that this can actually happen, it looks so improbable ! However, tape measures don't lie, so it should shoehorn in there . . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 21
I would be looking at the brakes too while you have it jacked up. Going is fun but stopping makes it even more fun. Make sure you have a LSD fitted as well, spinning 1 wheel is no fun. Manual conversion is also a must.

I could make you a nice set of side pipes too just to add to the madness.