1UZ into Jeep XJ Cherokee??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Every time i look at a Cherokee or a TJ, i think exactly that.

Only problem with putting a Tojo motor in a Jeep is... everything else is still Jeep! Haha, they're not bad, i've got a softish spot for them.

At least you know when i Jeep is out of oil... it stops leaking!

These days you can allmost fit any motor to any gear box, comes down to bellhousing kit and engine mounts. Keeping it jeep, some jeeps come out with a 4L v8 in them.

True story, at least the jeep driveline should hold up fine on a stock 1uz, the 4L six in the XJ is a torquey donk.

You'd have to get an "Its a Toyota Thing" sticker! Ha!

True is i believe is a great swap, plus the AW4 tranny is very similar to the 1UZ tranny, maybe isn't that hard, mating the transfer case should be relatively easy, but it seems that nobody has done it yet

Why would you change the transfer.

Use the Jeep A series auto and transfer with a 1UZ bellhousing.

It should all bolt up and all you'll be left with is making the front engine mounts.

This is some interesting info i found out about the cherokee AW4 trans that you might find useful.

Pre-1991 (non-HO Jeeps) AW transmissions had 21-spline output shafts. 1991 and later units have 23-spline output shafts. At some point, the AW changed from a 0.79 4th gear ratio to a 0.75 4th gear ratio - possibly also in 1991. In 1996, the AW4 transmission added a front input speed sensor and the rear speed sensor changed from a 1-pulse/rev reed sensor to a 4-pulse/rev magnetic sensor. For this reason, if you are planning a swap you should try to keep the same year wiring harness and computer. :147:

correct me if i am wrong but isnt this the speed sensor that causes all the problems? could it be that we just need the AW4 trans coupled to the 1uz ecu to make this whole package talk to each other?

HAHA!!! well i guess it works!

What did you do for your trans? stock xj aw4? Did you use the stock xj TCU? Or did you use the stock lex trans, did the mod to the tailhousing (cut output shaft and drill bottom of trans for 4x4 tailhousing bolt)

Looks like there is a good amount of room too!

I knew this swap could have been possable since both have very simmular trans. NICE JOB!!!!

I sold a motor to a guy who has also swapped a 1uz into a jeep. He chose to run a toyota hilux gearbox and transfer and said it all fitted well. Sorry no more details than that. Cheers

1uz

hERE IS MY DETAILS;

- I have to put 1UZ in a car by use Jeep gearbox 2.5L and transfer (no use Toyota's Gear)...

In my opinion, i think the jeep gearbox it's okay and should be done.

For make sure, you should be try!!!!! haha

Don't forget tell me.

the jeep gearbox is a toyota gearbox for all intentions, the ax5 jeep is w5* toyo an the jeep ax15 is an r15* box, of course input shaft splines are diff but case is the same so what bolts to a toyo can bolt to a jeep, autos are the same series trans so bolt patterns are the same too

Wow the 1UZ in a Cherokee would be a nice 4x vehicle. The newer ones with the V8's are really fun but feel very heavy compared to the earlier ones. Good info on the gearboxs as well.