1UZ into HT Ute

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

krayn

Its finally in. Started on it on saturday, Pulled out the 327 chev and fitted the 1uz on sunday. Now for all the external stuff. Dropped off the tailshaft to get shortened and picked up some parts to do the remote oil filter. Hope to be up and running within a couple of months. Cheers Kris

I dont think the heater box will fit although I have not yet tried it. I planned on using a early holden type under the dash unit to get a little more room in the engine bay. The wiper motor had to come out to get the motor in but now its in, it can go back on.

i love how the 'a' arm front ends can have all the radiator cowling and grille nosecones removed for easy fitment.

nice and close to the booster there too - like mine :)

wish i could have got mine that low...

Getting closer now. Fitted radiator and modified holden cowling, used crown radiator hoses, fitted remote oil filter, from v8 valliant, trans cooler, throttle set up, used crown throttle cable, air box and piping, origional crown. Tailshaft ready latter this week. Buying half cut is definatly worth the extra money.

How to fit a Lexus into an HK

Does Rod make a sump and mounts, same as HQ i bet for an HK, as i just got given an HK wagon for free in good condition?

CRS does make sumps (starting at $600) and mounts (around $170) but I made my own as I wanted the motor as low as possible and back as far back as possible but the money was the main problem.

It now runs. I took it for a quick lap arround the block. No bonnet or exhaust. It started up easly but took a bit to get the oil pressure up. Will take it in to get the exhaust done next and get a wheel alighnment. Seems to have plenty of grunt in first with 3.08 gears in the diff. This will be changed to 3.8 or higher. Cheers kris

Will post a pic of the remote filter soon. Its from a v8 valiant motor that fits a z96 filter. These filters are not real cheap $17. I thought I was getting out of the filter conversion on the cheap side as I only paid $5 for it at a swap meet, but now the filter cost a fair bit. I could have bought a remote filter set up from the local seed shop for about $40 and the filter that fits on it is a z9 $5. The money I saved on the filter housing is now being spent on filters, and after about 3 filter changes the $40 unit would have paid for its self.

Thanks,
Yeah its the standard air box and afm that came with the crown half cut. Ive used heaps of parts from the half cut, from charcole cannister nuts bolts, radiator hoses, fuel hoses. It was really worth the extra bucks.
In reguards to the oil pressure problem, it is fine now that it has started and the pump ect is primed. It takes about a second to get the pressure up now but I did have to extend the pick up to the back of the motor as I required a rear sump, so its a fair drag from the rear of the motor to the front where the oil pump is. The problem I had at the start was that I removed the plugs to the coil igniters so the motor would not start untill I had oil pressure up, then I connected up the igniters back up to start. I did not want the motor to start without having oil pressure, especially since the motor has been sitting for 8 months and not started. The motor took a while to suck up the oil while just cranking but probably if I had just started it, it may have picked up the oil sooner. cheers Kris

CONGRATULATIONS! great new years present.
it'd be great if you could get some sound/vid recording before and after exhaust and pics of your exhaust from under the car as there is heaps of dsifferent configurations people are using, what are you're plans with the exhuast?

At the moment I plan on connecting up to the origional system which is a twin 2" back into a single muffler where both engine pipes come in and two 2" tail pipes leave. Probably not the ultimate set up but at least I will be able to get it running and iron all the bugs out. Im not sure what set up I will finally run on it. It all depends on what next step I will take with the motor. If I go the forced induction I figure the bigger the exhaust the better, but if it stays NA then I may have to put a bit of thaught into it, as I will be chasing as much low end torque as I can get. I would like to make a 3" system but I think twin 2.25 system with a set of custom headers may be the ultimate setup. Cheers Kris

Its all up and running. Got the exhaust done on thursday and wheel alighnment done yesterday. Compared to the Chev, it is a very smooth running engine. As expected there is a noticable loss of torque down low but rev it past 3000 and things start to happen. It loves to rev, where the cheve started to peak out the 1uz keeps on reving for another 2000 to 3000 rpm. Not too keen on the rpm at which the computer shifts gears so if I want to drive it hard I still shift it manually.

thats great kris, how does it sound with the current exhaust does it sound like a V8 still? probably would be doing 100kmh in first at 6000rpm with 3.08 diff??

how much did the ride height change with the alloy motor?
have you noticed any other things positive or negative about this conversion?

The current exhaust system is not an ideal set up but I connected up to the origional system saving a fair amount of money. It still sounds like a v8 when you get past 2000 rpm but b4 this it is fairly quiet. It has a crackle in the note when backing of the throttle but I think a crossover pipe will fix this. I havent had a chance to hear it drive past me when someone else is driving but from what Ive been told it sound good. The ultimate exhaust will be made after I make my headers for the twin turbos. Yea haaaa......
The best part of the conversion is that it is so smooth. No body vibrations ect. It starts well. Its taking a while to get used of the different power band, Now at 60 kph step on it click back to first and hang on. Suspension wise I put different springs under it so I cannot comment on ride hight. I still have some sorting out of the link between the rack and steering colom. The angle is very tight and you can feel the unis binding when turning. Next step will be change the diff ratio and high stall and shift kit. Should be better again.