1UZ into HT Ute

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thefastj, out on the highway it sits on 2150 rpm @ 100 Km/h. When the foot is planted it drops down to second when sitting on about 90 Km/h and gets to 160 fairly quick. Havent tried any faster as I need my liscence and I think anything past 180 Kmh would be a fairly hairy ride in a vehicle made 37 years ago, although at 160 it seemed quite ok.

Im not expecting a real fast quarter as it takes a bit to get the ute out of the hole. I would really love a 2500 or 3000 stall converter. I hope nothing breaks. I can only try...

Had a good run today. Best time was 14.75 @ 96 MPh. Dropped 1.1 secs and picked up 6 mph by changing diff gears from 3.08 to 3.70. Still boggs down off the line. Needs a 2800 stall converter. Happy with these times. Cheers Kris...

krayn said:
Had a good run today. Best time was 14.75 @ 96 MPh. Happy with these times. Cheers Kris...
WOW thats impressive, I AM supprised
i knew it would be a fair difference as when i went from 2.92 to 3.45 it was considerably quicker(pitty i blew mine up twice before getting down the 1/4)

other than a stall,(are you going to get one?) any further developement planned?
have you noticed a fuel economy difference, i think mine was bugger all different exept i had to "enjoy" the new diff ratio which used more fuel

Hi Dean, thanks for your support.
I dont know about fuel economy as I have not driven it over any length to find out, it should not be too different I dont think.
I think the next step will be a mini spool in the diff ( as still having issues getting both wheels to spin at the same time) and then an MV Automatics valve body and converting the trans to a manuall shift, as I think its shiftin a little too late into third (arround 6200). Hopefully with the manuall shift the ecu wont retard the timing at gear change as I will trick it too think the tranny is in netural. I can feel the power surge at change. I dont know how I will drive the PWM line pressure solinoid in the tranny (I will make the lock up converter will ony come on when in over drive).. Does anyone know, can I apply 12 volts constantly to these or will they burn out or will the shift sill be too spongy if there is no signal to the solinoid.

Dean, How is your new project developing, what stage are you at. Hope all is well.
Kris

krayn said:
Dean, How is your new project developing, what stage are you at. Hope all is well.
Kris
definatly mine will be Manual, didn't like the auto from day 1(wonder if mine suffered damage in the "incident")
actually did something(not planning to do anything much through winter,as no garage) to the new replacement body today.
fixed a door handle, removed non working alarm which was causing problems rusulting in me having to hotwire the car to drive it home(the reason the owner sold the car, it just would not start one day)
i am starting to consider getting this car registered as normal first, then doing conversion. as it will be easier to drive it around to get engineers, exhaust and GAS RESEARCH etc when its day time i might post a pic in my progress thread. its no show car and never will be.
catch ya

G'day Kris

hows the HT going? i have done little bits to the UTE and also to the sedan but i'm lacking inspiration in this weather although theres been a few nice days lately, decided to get the UTE running again before doing the reshell as the only great expense will be the tailshaft, which could be cut down if using the AUTO again.
heres a link to my thread if intersted http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2340
catch ya later Dean

krayn said:
Had a good run today. Best time was 14.75 @ 96 MPh. Dropped 1.1 secs and picked up 6 mph by changing diff gears from 3.08 to 3.70. Still boggs down off the line. Needs a 2800 stall converter. Happy with these times. Cheers Kris...

nice time btw Kris.
i've been away from this site for a while. :(

i'm hoping for similar times with my FJ with 3.5 9" but maybe should aim for a 15 flat now. J's are fairly light tho so who knows.
either way, my goal is to break into 14's with this car so if dont do if first shot it just means more work to happen to it. ; )

Hey Fastj,
Thanks for for comments.
High 14's should not be too dificult in a FJ. Getting it off the line is my prob but yours being lighter it might not be as bigger issue. Good luck with it. What stage are you up to with your conversion????

As a side not Ive got onto two FJ utes, Not in good body order, but fairly complete, for the right price of "Come and pick them up for free b 4 the scrap metaler gets them". Our Aim is the cut out the underbody make a full box chassis, tubs and stick the old 327 into it and tour the burnout comps and maybee have a go at draging.. The body will remain untouched on the outside and will have a deliberate rough look but have good chassis engine setup (as good as a old chev/powerglide gan be). Cheers Kris

Ive orderd a t70 (same one that SSautochrome sells) turbo and bov for the turbo conversion. Next ont the list is intercooler end wastegate, a few 3" mandrell bends. Hope to start the turbo job in the next 6 months after I get the ute engineered...

I got a little bored tonight too

Hi guys,
Ive finally started to turbo conversion. First Im fitting the intercooler and inlet piping then to mount the turbo and then the exhaust piping ect ect. Plan on running low boost about 3 psi or so untill I fit the Programable wolf ecu and hopefully up the boost to 9 psi or so. It wont be finished real soon but hopeful to have it back up and running within a few months or so. Cheers..... Kris

Hey Kris,

that looks like its meant to be there,
i'll be interested to see the results after thats finished.
thanks for the updates.
Dean
P.S the weather is getting better now and i've been gathering parts like a squirrel for mine reshell and manual conversion, so pretty dsoon i'll have some more updates

getting closer

Got the turbo manifold made and fitted. Got the turbo oil lines made and fitted. I had to take the motor out and sump off to fit the oil return. I am kicking myself as when I made the sump I put two oil return fittings but I didnt do my research and they were too small. The waste gate looks as though it is sittig up in the air but I didnt want to hide it down low and get it too hot and fry it. Once the 3 " dump pipe is fitted it may not look as bad. What are peoples thoughts on how the prime the turbo before starting it. THe instructions said to hold the turbine and run the motor for about a minute. Sounds a little wrong to me???

Kris,

If you hold the turbine it will prevent it from spinning in/on dry bearings.

You could try pumping some oil into the turbine with a syringe or similar but I think their instructions make sense.

getting closer now. everything is now fitted up and now the only thing that remains to be done is the dump pipe and exhaust system. Got it started and seems to produce boost when I jacked up the rear wheels and held brakes on and arround 3000rpm it started to produce boost. Fairly loud though. I hope to get away with using only one 3" turbo muffler. will that be too loud for street use? Waiting for v band clamp to turn up b4 i can make the dump pipe....waiting impatiantly.

krayn said:
waiting impatiantly.
yeah i bet most of us are waiting also.
i'll be getting stuck into my conversion within a month i hope(time moreso than money will prevent this). providing i dont hit many hurdles along the way it should happen very quickly too. i hope to beat your 14.7 quarter time seeing i'm running manual and 3.45 diff.

will you re run yours once its sorted?
Dean

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 41
Dean,
I think the manual will wake it up a fair bit as you will probably get it off the line quicker.
I hope to run it down the quarter again once it has been sorted out and probably only after I fit the wolf computer as I dont want it to ping and stuff the motor, so this is a little way off as it will then need to be dyno tuned, but I still dont know how the standard computer will handle it.

It runs!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI guys,
I still cant wipe the smile off my face, Got the dump pipe made and could not resist to take it for the first run at 11.30 at night. The note was not too loud from the exhaust as I fitted the muffler just past the rear cross member and comes straight out from the muffler. I will make the rest of the system in the next week or two.
It boosts to arround 5-6 psi, and pulls hard from 3000 rpm.
Will dyno in the next month or so.
Will wash it tonight and put bonnet back on and take it for a good run.