1UZ into 96' Land Rover Discovery

What to do with my 3.9 Land Rover engine?

• Rebuild it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swap it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mshawari1

My 3.9 engine suspected to have a broken ring. And needs complete overhaul.
The swap will cost the same as the rebuild.
The major things required are to relocate the A/C and the adapter plate.
What you think … shall I do the swap??
Let me know about your thoughts ………

ha ha ha ha....its more than you think..alot more...

rebuilding the 3.9 is by far cheaper (remember to take you time in to the equation)..mind you here a 3.9l costs £100 or so for a complete engine...pistons are next to nothing all over the world....

pros...3.9l is a slow, gutless, uneconomical, old yanky ohv cast off...the uz is not..

cons..oh my god how much work???!!

your choice..see zuffen's and my posts on subject..(ah i see you have lots of posts,so i guess you have one your homework..you keeping it auto?)

do it!!!

I agree with Zen. It is going to be so much work. Yes the uz engine would be great but thats is going to be a lot of little things to worry about. Depends on what you really want to do. Bunches of people can say one thing doesn't mean thats what is best for you. Best of luck it what you decided.

By the way my guess is most will say swap due to where this is located. If you want a great answer find a Range rover/ Land rover board and get there opinion as well.

The work shop open my old engine and we find is a blowing head gasket. But the engine block needs to machined more than the cylinder head. So we need to take out the heads and the block to be flatted then we need complete gasket kit , upper and lower.
That will cost about 800 USD.

But the guy suggest me a new idea. To swap the engine with Rang Rover HSE 4.6 one.
40 HP more power gain with cost of 1800 USD.

What do you think ?​

at those prices i suggest you come over here...buy up aload of engines for not alot, ship them across in a container, sell them for loads then retire..

really..i have a good 3.5l efi i cant sell for £50....you can buy a complete good early 3.9l disco for £500 a rusty one for much less..

4.4 Rover engines are not known to be the most reliable engine around.

Liner shift is quite common and terminal for the engine.

Whilst the 1UZ swap is fiddly I would do it again if the opportunity arose.

Personally a far easier swap would be an LSX engine as they are physically smaller and will fit eaier than the 1UZ. Plus adaptor kits are available off the shelf.

Don't bother asking a Land Rover/Range Rover Forum what they think of the swap as they will all yell "sacrilage" as it isn't 100% pure and unreliable Rover.

Rover's have a great aftermarket supply chain in stronger parts. They need it as the standard parts are weak as...

Any vehicle that uses carrots for axles deserves to be modified.

Oh and I love my Rover and wouldn't swap it for any other 4x4, even though I drive an Mercedes ML320 as my daily drive.

Whilst the 1UZ swap is fiddly I would do it again if the opportunity arose.

Oh and I love my Rover and wouldn't swap it for any other 4x4.

second that...

i would never have another rover powered rangie again.why have a underpowered,gutless, ancient fuel gobbler when there are other alternatives...go for the uz, but bewarned it is a major task (atleast the first time,now i have one under my belt and know the pitfulls i would do again also)
or maybe (as my other rangie has) a largish diesel engine..

need pics advice ask away..oh is yours auto?

I have a 1uz gearbox output shaft to suit input into a Rover LT230 gearbox here. Had it custom made was going to run an LT230 behind my 1uz and auto, but decided to go ZF auto instead. $50(AU) if you want it. You just need an adapter plate then and some engine mounts and you are underway.

I'm looking to do the swap myself, but on a 1991 Land rover discovery 1.

It is currently fitted with a 200tdi motor and an LT-77 gearbox, but it has the terminal rust problem and as such, i'm throwing away most of the body and making my own tube frame, since the chassis is in remarkably good condition.

I'm hoping this will help me a bit with the "size" problem as I can build the front around what is required.

From what I understand I will need a rear sump from a Soarer 1uzfe to clear the steering.

I will post pics of my progress (this is my first engine swap)

I'm looking to do the swap myself, but on a 1991 Land rover discovery 1.

It is currently fitted with a 200tdi motor and an LT-77 gearbox, but it has the terminal rust problem and as such, i'm throwing away most of the body and making my own tube frame, since the chassis is in remarkably good condition.

I'm hoping this will help me a bit with the "size" problem as I can build the front around what is required.

From what I understand I will need a rear sump from a Soarer 1uzfe to clear the steering.

I will post pics of my progress (this is my first engine swap)

Are you going auto? If so, I still have the shaft to go from Toyota Auto to LT230 (LT230 is a Range Rover, Land Rover, Transfer case)

I have a w-58 in my shed which I am hoping to use, but if the auto is a better bet then I will be tempted.

Would that be the toyota auto from an ls400 you are referring to?

What transfer? Hilux? Then you have a centred output and offset diffs. Also, depending on your year, it may have the output on the wrong side of the case. I think you t-case has a really good low range too like 3.3:1 so well worth keeping. If you went auto. The LT77 is truly a pathetic gearbox.

I got my auto free with my motor, so it was there, it was already bolted on. easy.

I see your point... I was thinking about using toyota axles, but that would mean less and less of the vehicle actually being land rover :D

Yes, so if I can keep the land rover transfer case and mate the w-58 to it.

I have an auto box, but it's on the way out and I don't fancy forking out for a rebuild when I have the 5 speed right here :)

Dislex

Hallo Guys
Just my 2 cents...
I did the Lexus transplant in my Disco about a year back. I will not go back to the old Buick engine ever. I used the Lexus gearbox, had it mated it to the LR transfer case. I did a few offroad tracks with it and I am very satisfied. I had a mishap wit the standard ECU (Igniter had a bad earth) so I am running with the Spitronics ECU. The only drawback when off roading is using the engine for braking on steep downhils. (Automatic).
I have attached some pictures of the engine and the gearbox adapter.
The shaft was hardened. (tempered)
Have fun....
Paul

Attachments

• Engine Bay1.jpg
    Engine Bay1.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 114
  • GB Adapter_shaft.jpg
    GB Adapter_shaft.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 185
  • GB Adapter1.jpg
    GB Adapter1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 187
Hallo Guys
Just my 2 cents...
I did the Lexus transplant in my Disco about a year back. I will not go back to the old Buick engine ever. I used the Lexus gearbox, had it mated it to the LR transfer case. I did a few offroad tracks with it and I am very satisfied. I had a mishap wit the standard ECU (Igniter had a bad earth) so I am running with the Spitronics ECU. The only drawback when off roading is using the engine for braking on steep downhils. (Automatic).
I have attached some pictures of the engine and the gearbox adapter.
The shaft was hardened. (tempered)
Have fun....
Paul

Nice swap ....

How is the deferential holding the power ? any issue?

are you using the lexus radiator ? any other modification/ fabrication to fit ?

I'm planning to buy another disco for sand fun with 1UZ on it!!!!

currently having a 2004 disco (4.6L) 19" .... DD.

Dislex

Nice swap ....

How is the deferential holding the power ? any issue?

are you using the lexus radiator ? any other modification/ fabrication to fit ?

I'm planning to buy another disco for sand fun with 1UZ on it!!!!

currently having a 2004 disco (4.6L) 19" .... DD.

Except for brake issue (Calliper seals) the Disco gave me no issues so far.
Had it Dyno tuned and my smile is even bigger..
I used the Lexus radiator and fan.
As for modifications, this is one big modification.. :)
BR
Paul

Disco BeCM

Impressive Paul. May I know how you handle the BeCM for Swap? i.e. communication between engine ECU and BeCM. Can you provide more detail and pics on electrical issues in this swap? I am thinking to do a swap on a RR p38. Thanks a lot.
jc

hi all this is my first time on the inter web.
I have swapped out my rover 4.0 V8 and used a 1uzfe into a type 2 disco 2000 a lot of work.if anyone is interested i have lots of pics