1Uz-Fe / L200 Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Arctic Wolf

Hello! I've pasted the following from the owners club uk, where I was advised to also take a look around this place as well :)

First off a brief summary of myself and then what I plan to do.

I own a 2002 Mitsubishi L200, it's a project truck and has several modifications as is, with others on the go. The major failing of the L200 is the pansy 2.5TD engine in a two tonne truck! So in case you haven't guessed yet, it's coming out and a 1UZ-FE is going in, along with the gearbox from an LS400.

The Aisin auto gearbox in an LS400 is the same box that Mitsi use in the L200. So the plan is to take the box and engine, fit them into my truck and use my transfer case to retain 4 wheel drive. This would be the first time this has been done to an L200 in the UK I believe, but I understand it has been done in New Zealand. It has also been done in the UK to several Pajeros - again the same gear box - and so far it has been done to nine Toyota Hilux surf's that I know of - once again, same gear box.

I won't be doing this conversion myself. I carry out most of my own work but I am too busy with actual work and I only have a driveway which isn't great for these big mods. Between myself and the chap who will be doing the conversion (also the same chap who did the 9 Hilux conversions) we should have all the technical bases covered.

I thought you guys might be interested to know about this. As I am to be an owner of a 1UZ-FE engine I thought I best get to know it a bit better! I have done about as much research as I can before joining here. I understand it is a well built strong engine.

Also maybe you would be able to assist with pointers for a donor vehicle. Obviously cosmetics don't matter, nor write off's or non road worthy vehicles. Just has to have a good engine and box. All the conversions I have been able to trace have been done with donor vehicles that have covered 100 - 150k miles. All report that the engines are 'just about run in' which is what I like to hear. My previous vehicle was a 4 litre Jeep, the engine in which is bullet proof so I am looking for a similar long term reliability and natural strength from the conversion.

Any thoughts or pointers or comments please just fire away....

The obvious donor would be an LS400 as they seem to go cheap and you seem to have a few of them in the UK.

SC400/Soarers would probably fetch more money but the LS engine would be better as it has a belt driven fan not a hydraulic fan.

Expect to make custom headers or make big mods to the stock headers.

Whichever UZ variant you end up with they all have pretty average headers.

Yep, an LS400 is the likely donor. Plenty of them around and you can find several bargains that don't have an MOT or have niggly issues that just haven't been fixed so go cheap. None seem to have engine issues.

We're going with a full custom exhaust for the conversion.

You can use your L200 gearbox and swap out the Lexus bell housing , torque convertor, input shaft and pump .The 4WD while the same as the Lexus has a stronger case. If you do use the Lexus box completely, electrically things are a lot easier. Also the rear sump 1UZ may be the better option . I am in the process of putting a 1uz into a Pajero ( again same Aisin box) I think utes and Pajeros (Shoguns) use the same chassis . Have a look at this
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?p=131605#post131605

Pajman, it was your thread on Pocuk that got this started!!! I contacted the guy from HSF and spoke to him about it. He's game on for doing it. :D

I was wondering if the manual box would work. But even still I am in two minds whether I would want to go auto or stay manual. Everything it pretty much in place for this now. Earliest booking I can get is April / May though.

SO am I right in assuming the L200 manual box is an Aisin unit then? I couldn't find any info on that. Not even on the L200 forums.

I can't get onthe pokuk site right now . Too any people I suspect. The only concern I have with using the Pajero box with the lexus parts will be the ECU . The Pajero uses a seperate one for engine and a TCU for the auto box so should be able to work things out . Your project you will need to check out the ECU in your ute . Budget wise changing to manual would be an expensive exercise , but lots of people do it .

Pajman, Bushwacker who commented earlier on this thread is the chap who will be doing my conversion. I had no idea he was on here too:D

Looks like auto is the way to go then. Regarding the ECU situation, I'm certain Vince has that all taken care of.

Interesting how there seems to be more than a handful of L200's with 1UZ-FE engines in New Zealand? From what you and Gloverman seem to be saying?
I couldn't find any one over here that has done it. I trust Vince implicitly but purely out of interest I would love to see a write up of an L200 conversion that has been done.

I saw an early model for sale here , lots of people convert toyota utes and many other cars . The main reason being the engine is just so good

I'm sold on the quality of the engine. Read enough about it now to trust what I'm getting. In fact that's the biggest motivation. The 4D56 in the L200 is a pile of poop! I'm on my second one and having problems with that now!

The bonus side is you end up with a V8 pick up truck:D Which is the ultimate decider vs one of the Mitsi options.

I took photos of our ones but they are buried in the many 1uz photos I have and I cant find them. I remember taking the photos of it on the dyno. I never did a write up on them. I do so many vehicles I only show a small portion of them on here. I did put up some photos of a L400 delica with 1uz a little while back. It ran the 1uz ecu for the engine and mitsi ECT for the trans. There where a few tricks to making it all work nicely.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15776&highlight=L400

One of the L200s is used by a roofer as his work vehicle. The Mitsi gearboxes become an issue with the 1uz in front of them. Another one is a good mate of mine. He uses it around the farm , hunting and going to town. It drives really nice.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a read of that thread later.

What issue do the Mitsi boxes give?

As you can see Bushwacker and myself have decided on using the Lexus box with my transfer case anyway. I reckon given the gear ratios of the standard manual box that using the auto from the Lexus will give a better cruising experience.

Funny you should mention about some of these being work vehicles. Although this truck is a project it is also a daily drive and I do use it for work. I'm convinced the work it does is partly to blame for killing the standard engine.

Been doing some gear and final drive ratio calculations for the conversion. Can any one tell me the most economical motorway cruising speed for an LS400? And what the engine is revving at?

After illness reared its ugly head I'm glad to say this conversion is finally back on.

The company doing the conversions for me have done 1UZ's into all sort of cars so they know their way around these engines. Following their advice I've ordered a Spit-Tronics ECU and TCU which apparently makes the electrical side somewhat easier for them.

I've also sourced a company that imports low miles Japanese cars and breaks them for the UK market. They've actualy got a 1UZ engine, box and ancillary package in at the moment which I may well be purchasing Monday after I've spoken to them again. It actualy works out cheaper than getting a donor vehicle, and has less miles. Not to mention no need to dismantle.

We're going to use the Mitsi 2.8 auto box and take the bell housing, torque converter, input shafts and pump from the Lexus box. Then retain the 4x4 using the transfer case with the 2.8 box. Or at least that's plan A because we know it's been done this way. I've not been able to find proof anywhere that the Mitsi transfer case will bolt to the Lexus A340 box. If when the conversion takes place this looks possible then we may well change to this plan.

I'm booked in for End of Nov / early Dec once they have completed their current projects. Assuming no delays with those. So in the mean time I'm just trying to sort everything out.

Anyone got any ideas experience on what these engines need to keep cool? I'm guessing my radiator for my 4pot diesel won't be enough. The L200 / Triton V6 radiator would be the easiest fit if it's up to the job?

Think that's about it for now. I'll keep this updated as I purchase stuff, but the real action will of course happen in a few months.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am new user on this forum, i am in France, my project is to work in my farm with this futur car 4x4 L200 converted and also, drive on open road.
I have the project to buy a 4x4 Mitsubishi L200 around manufactured year 2000 - 2004 and i will make the conversion with engine 1UZ-FE.
I have done some search to study how do this conversion, it is not totally clear at this moment, especially about the gearbox, i want to keep the stock Mitusibishi L200 4x4 gearbox and install the 1UZ-FE engine on it.
I will do all myself, today i try to find the engine in second hand, not easy in my place...
Could you give me some help about the question : How to keep the stock Mitusibishi L200 4x4 gearbox and install the 1UZ-FE engine on it ?
Many thanks in advance, have a nice day.