1UZ-FE for a rockcrawler buggy...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

FireTruck

Where to start...

OK. Doing some research for a rockcrawler buggy build up. Looking at a single seater, front engined chassis similar to the Shaffer Diablo 2. Looks kinda like this:

http://24.222.25.214////xtreme/scan0001.jpg

I will be transplanting alot of the good stuff from my current ride - The FireTruck. 35 spline Dana 60's (Rockcrushers) with alloy shafts and CTM uni joints, full hydraulic steering using a double ended ram, alloy radiator with thermo fan, coil overs up front, Atlas transfer case, etc...

I want to build something as light as possible, but with enough go under the hood to smoke up 40" tires.

For driveline I am looking for a power plant that is small and light and not too long, with 200+ HP, a solid tranny with the right ratios that is light and not too long,

One possibility for a donor engine is a 1UZFE... maybe a half cut with tranny. Now for the (no doubt newbie) questions...

I need to find specs, specifically:
How much does it weigh?
How long is it?
What is the tranny like? Length, strength, and gear ratios? Are there different trannies in different donor cars?
What would be the bolt pattern for the t'case? My Atlas suits an AX-15, so I assume an adapter would be required.
If there was an ideal half cut to look for (best make, model, year, etc), which would it be?
Spare parts availability?

Sorry for the big chunk of questions - I will try to search around some more but I'm a bit limited here at work. Appreciate any help and advice.

S.

Miracles we can't deliver but the impossible is a little bit quicker.
"PM" Guts for the best advice. He may take a little while to reply as he has an access problem with the Net.

The 1UZ can give 250hp every day of the week. Torque is a little low down the bottom end but you could get cams to solve that.

You could use a Toyota Lancruiser, Prado or Hilux driveline to give you trans ratios that would be better suited to 4x4 work. with a standard engine the trans will hold up well if you get the oil cool enough. tans adaptors are easy to make so anything is possible. For ratios do a search, it all depends on if you stick with the stock trans or go for a Lux or Cruiser trans.

The engine is essentially a 700mm cube. 700mm long, 700mm high and 700mm wide. It weighs about 200kg with all accessories.

The best half cut is probably an early Crown as they are affordable, plentifull and if you are building around it you can make the chassis fit the sump layout etc.

Parts are plentiful for all the engines and trans.

Thanks Rod.

Unfortunately, I know Guts well. I'll pick his brains on his conversion.

FYI, the other option I am considering is an aluminium Holden V6 with an extreme duty TH350. Short and light, with the ratios I need. I would prefer a light weight V8 though if I can figure out how to do it.

My diffs have 4.88 ratios (and detroits), and my Atlas is 4.3:1, so I have quite a bit of reduction after the tranny. Oh, and I should have mentioned that I want an Auto tranny.

What tranny comes with the early Crown? What's it like in terms of strength, ratios, length, etc??

250HP is right where I want it - and if the torque on the low end is an issue I can (hopefully) just increase the stall on the tranny some.

S.

The Crown box has the best ratios for you unless you use a Lux or Cruiser box.

My inclination would be a Crown engine, Lux auto box hooked up to your Atlas.

If you were sensible about the way you installed the 1UZ it would all cost less than buying an LS1.

Hey Peewee - why do you say the LS1 will keep the COG down?

Overhead cams in the 1UZ or ??

Got a 250kW LS1 (gen III) in my '05 SV8... plenty of poke. Didn't realize that the 1UZ was only 10kg lighter though.

Anyone know the weight diff between a 1UZ and a commodore V6?

S.

The alloy commo 6 is only just the new ones isn't it?
All the previous models were cast iron, and fairly average motors at that.
New alloy v6 will cost mucho green.

LS1 has 2 small heads, 0 cams, 16 valves (albeit bigger), 16 springs, 16 rockers etc etc.
1UZ has 2 big heads, 4 cams, 32 valves, 32 springs, 32 shims, 32 buckets etc

Its a lot more weight up top.

But 9 times out of 10, it comes down to cost.
You could build a 1UZ and supercharge it, for about the same price as an LS1 conversion.

I know what I'd rather...

definately talking about the alloy V6 - and yes, muchos paseos.

Can I mount the 1UZ upside down?

Don't answer that...

What's the weight/power/sixe of the Turbo lexus motor?

S.

A 2 stroke V8... now that would be different...

You've got me - I didn't even know there was a 4 cyl turbo... was thinking of the 6, but I really don't care as long as it performs. Will be going in a purpose build rig, so I can build around just about anything as long as it fits the bill (and the budget!).

S.

Shane, go with a 1UZ, cruiser auto (80 or 100) and then your atlas.

Or

1UZ, V8TH700 then ya atlas.

I`ve only driven mine once with the 1UZ and thought the low down torque would be bad, but with my gear ratio of 90 to 1 (in 1st) it was great, only used 1st once to see what it was like with the V8, spent the rest of the time in 2nd or 3rd.

Give me acouple of months and mine will be back on the road again and you can take it for a spin if ya like. That is if you haven`t decided what you will be using by then.

Sweet, I should have the lux at Aus rock. Hopefully it will be rego`ed and all by then but if its not I will more then likely have it there anyway as a recovery rig (will have to winch your broken HEEP out LOL). Oh and before you ask NO I will not be putting it in Aus rock, its to clean for that ATM.

When I build my buggy (about 18 months away) I will be running (At this stage)

1UZ
80 series cruiser auto
80 series Transfer case
60 series Diffs
Oh and I will be building for Ledgends class so will only be running 37`s.