1UZ-FE Economy Rebuild - top end service

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Doug68

A small amount of background. The engine I have has been sitting since at least 2006 probably longer. It's 1UZ allegedly from a Celsior.
I'll be setting this up for COP ignition on a MegaSquirt ECU. Therefore I needed to know that the internals of the motor were good before I go chasing my tail with the electrics. The mileage on the motor is unknown.

So far I have removed all the bits from the engine I want to and in the process of cleaning things up for inspection and measurement. So far I've removed the valves from only the right side head. This motor will never be FI, it might get ITB's and or a decent exhaust at some point but this is not a high HP build, that be another engine somewhere down the road if required. Hence time and a bit of effort is OK $$$ not so much.
So far apart from gaskets and seals, I plan to replace:
  1. Water pump.
  2. Timing belt, tensioner and idlers.
  3. Some or all Inlet valves.
  4. Head bolts
More about the inlet valves...
6 of the 8 on the side I've taken apart show pitting on or just below the level the stem oil seal sits at as per the one on the left in the picture, all the exhaust valves are fine and don't have this.

DSC07670.JPG

Where's a good price place to but OEM or decent aftermarket valves that are good value? Amayama is quoting A$65 each for them I've seen US$37 from the USA and I've seen what I think are reputable pattern parts for A$11. I've ignoring all the eBay stuff like this as its just asking for a mess.

Next this is an exhaust valve that been through an initial clean, is the black that remains more crap to get off or is there a coating on the valve? (I've not been able to find picture of stock valves).

IMG_20200212_190639.jpg

Pistons after initial cleaning...

IMG_20200211_201540.jpg

IMG_20200211_155346.jpg
Obviously more cleaning to do.

And the sump off...
DSC07665.jpg

Apart from my feet, please let me know if you see any obvious issues.

Other things I found a bit odd, the oil drain from the rear of the left head had a lot of residue and gunk bit up around it and in general the left was far more filthy inside the cam cover than the right. I found that the sealant from the aluminium part of the sump was blocking a bit less than half of the return to the sump. So maybe that was causing that or is this a general condition for these engines?
Also the water pump had no gasket just some serious black sealant is this as per OEM as I see aftermarket ones with gaskets but there is no gasket shown on the OEM parts diagrams I can see?