1UZ engine component weights

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

turboandrew

I thought maybe we should start a engine component weight thread. Let's try to get all the parts weighed, and we'll add it to the top of the thread. For starters:

bare short block: 78 lbs / 35.4 Kg
crankshaft: 56 lbs / 25.4 Kg
cylinder head, assembled 45 lbs / 20.4 Kg
connecting rod, stock
piston, stock
camshaft, intake
camshaft, exhaust
intake manifold, upper, pre 1998
intake manifold, lower, pre 1998
intake manifold, upper, 1998+
intake manifold, lower, 1998+
engine mount
engine wiring harness, SC400 / Soarer
engine wiring harness, LS400

This stuff is very interesting to me, I have a Porsche 928, I'm searching for a more high tech and mainly lighter engine. I want to stay normally aspirated. The 3 series of the V8 lexus motor is interesting. I believe it is lighter than the first? Also that the ports are bigger?

Also I have to ask, why are the power outputs so low? Is it the Japanese laws? The engines are ultra high tech, so why the low power, is the engine restricted, like in the cam shaft timing? The manifolds certainly look restrictive. Any help appreciated.

P.S my friend has a twin turbo motor in his 928, yet to fully test it out, I realize this may be the way to go but I want to save all the weight I can.

very interesting conversion to do, i would like to see some photos when this done!. the power output of these motors is done to a gentlemans aggrement that all the manufacters all do, other than that i don't know.
the different lexus motors, the one i have is the 4ltr 32 valve 1uzfe these motors are good, but they have there down side, the headers are very restrictive and puting bigger and better flowing headers, gives some really good results
the heads flow well but can be inproved to also get good results, the cams are very restictive basically the motors revs to 7,200rpm and the power and touque drops of after 5,000rpm which is really disapointing, you can get the cams reground and reshimed and this gives the motor a kick in the arse, leting it rev freely to 8,000rpm
these motors are a work of art and they are begging to be unresticted and adding forced induction, well i rest my case
i love these motors and the sound of them, i can,t get enough of the sound of those pipes blasting out
the newer motor i forget the code 2uzfe? the 4.3ltr motor, these motors have the same bottom end but the heads are where they are better, the inlets are disigned as "downports" which give these motors a better chance at flowing than the 1uzfe's.
i hope this helps you, good luck if you do the conversion

home of the supacharged lexus in a mk2 supra
ewan

Certainly appreciate your response, I was planning the 3uz engine because it is the most advanced or is it? Does it still have the strong bottom end? I have heard the heads are the best on the 3uz.
O.K this is the goal, I read an article in Race tech magazine, it was on the Nissan Maxima engine, the 3 liter V6. It was worked over by Langford preformance Engineering LPE. These guys have tons of experience, they build F1 motors for old F1 cars and did a lot of work with Cosworth.

They managed to achieve 400 hp @ 8500 rpm and 350 hp @ 7000. Now I want my engine to last so inexcess of 100 hp per liter will be fine. So if I can get 110 hp per liter, can I get 5.4 liters, I read that somewhere? That would be a great result. So if people out there now of certain dimensions and weights it would fantastic to hear from them.

I plan on running individual throttle bodies and showerheads, also I'm sure the cams could do with some massaging. Is this possible on the 3uz?

Hungry for information.

Thanks Greg

hi dude, the 3uz motor i don't know much, these motors are the 4.5 ltr?
i think i have seen one, they came out in the landcrizers/prado's i think?, but they have cast iron blocks and have 2 bolt main bearings
these motors have the same heads as the 2uzfe down port heads
only difference is the block, they went cast iron because if a 4 wheel drive vechile went into a big mud/ water hole/river the alloy blocks would crack, so they made cast iron to standup to the punnishment and made the motors with more cubic inches for better touque, i have been told they are very strong motors and are better suited for extracting more horse power, a friend builds race motors and he would like to develop the motor, he thinks there is a lot of gains to be made using this motor than the 1uzfe but the weight would be the issue! he builds motors for dirt track circut racing and they use the 1uzfe's alot but they don''t have much touque, where the 3uz has more touque, he says horse power dose'nt win races, touque does!
hope this helps
ewan

2uzfe is 4.7L cast iron (some 2uzfe's have vvti)
3uzfe is 4.3L all alloy, with 30Nm more torque than 1uzfe vvti, and 70Nm more torque than 1uzfe nonvvti (3uzfe is vvti)

So guys are the vvti heads on the 2uzfe the same as the 3 uzfe? Also are the cranks in the 2uzfe still forged and fully countered weighted? Do we know the bore spacing measurement? Also is there a parts program you can buy to veiw Toyota/Lexus parts? That is the factory program that lists all parts, I have a genuine copy of one of these from Porsche. It lists every part Porsche made from 1956 to 2005. Thanks for your help.

P.S I thought the 3 uzfe heads were the best of the lot, sometimes these threads make you more uncertain.

Greg

Sinche thread already seems to be about heads...

I have heard unconfirmed rumors about a TRD head on some engine - false / true? which engine in that case?

Wich head that fits the 1uz bottom end, flows best directly from factory?

Wich head has the best flow-potential? if intention is to go "all the way" with porting/valvejobs/aftermarket cams etc. ??

Is there a head with more linear flow-path? (as straight, non-curved as possible - please excuse my english, I´m from Sweden and it´s sometimes quite hard to express one self in the correct technical terms!)

Dead thread resurrection time...

Does anyone have any weights for the 10.4:1 & the VVTi pistons??
Also dome/dish volume on/in the piston?

Mike