1uz (1st gen) intake adapter

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Willis1989

(i hope im posting to the right spot)

hello all,

im new to the lexus community, i bought a (1st gen) 1uz with a bunch of extras. i plan on putting it into a 81 toyota pickup,

but in the mean time of gathering parts, i came across a 4.7 TRD SC, which i have a chance to get my hands on for a decent price.

so i know that the 1st gen and 2nd gen 1uz have diffrent intakes. i also know that that TRD SC will fit on a 2nd gen 1uz, but has anyone tried milling an adapter to combine the two? or maybe cutting and retro fitting the TRD SC to the 1st gen 1uzs?

is it worth the trouble?

i know that that there are a few companies that make SC kits for the 1st gen, but i thought it would be cool to stay with all TOY parts.

thanks,

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 35
  • yota 3.jpg
    yota 3.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 39
The 4.7 TRD tundra supercharger is only a eaton M90 in a custom housing if I remember correctly. The M90 is on the small side for supercharging on a 1uz and being a roots blower it heats up the incoming air quite a bit. You can probably only get like 5 to 7 psi out of it safely. If you keep a eye out for a good deal you can get a 1.8L to 2.3L whipple or kenne bell twin screw supercharger for $700 to $1200 on line and that will make more boost with less heat and more power to the wheels. I have used a 1.6L whipple for a few years and am now switching to a 1.8L kenne bell and have fabricated most everything my self. I would guess my setup cost me around $1200 to $1400, and now $1000 more for the larger kenne bell so $2500 to $3000 total over the years but some people have turboed there 1uz cheeper.

I am building one right now but the way I am doing it would be stupid expensive to reproduce. I looked around a lot and asked a lot of friends in the industry. I never found a US based company that sold a manifold.

Jake

Oh yea?

Ive read a few diffrent fourms, most of them seem to be made with a modifide lower intake, with a shallow box welded to it and a plate to top the intake to suite your SC.

Lol, but my weldin skills are a little sub-par.....

Yeah I have seen those two. The one I am working on is machined from a solid piece of billet. It is a lower, middle and an upper plate. I can see a number of issues with the box on the lower manifold. But it would probably not manifest itself on something like a 4X4.

Jake

Makes since, ill be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Im thinkin i just might start the swap into my truck, then once that's complete ill start some fabing on the SC, or just drop some cash on a bullet package.

There is nothing wrong with that bullet package. Especially if you are trying to stay as low as possible. Another thing to consider is that on mine I have a lot of room to go up because of a cowl induction hood. If you have to keep it under a low hood than money well spent would be the bullet setup.

Jake

The bullet manifold is very very nice. I have one That I've been using to fit a m122 onto my 2uz. The manifold sits about as low as it gets. you really couldn't get any lower.

I built mine useing the bottom half of the stock lower manifold and it has worked very nicely. My manifold plus the whipple 1600A supercharger is the same hight as the stock manifold. I still have the fixture I made for the build and could make another one if you were intersted. I also have a eaton m90 from a 3800 v6 and a autorotor/kenne bell MX418 superchargers as well as the whipple that I could use for positioning the mounting holes for the blower. If you planned on useing a diffrent supercharger I would need the port and bolt pattern info to finish the top plate. The price would depend on the details of what you needed and the cost of the two aluminium plates but i would guess it at between $500 and $800.

Redrocco there is no reason why it wouldn't work well on the street and at modest boost levels. The problems you will run into depends on the dynamics of your arrangement when air velocity starts increasing. You have some really sharp turns in your manifold and as the velocity increases and the air molecules get compressed and have to make the sharp turns their heat increases due to friction. Also the heat will no be distributed evenly through all cylinders.

That said there is no way to know without physically testing a specific setup how much heat will be generated and even if it will be enough to affect engine performance. For all we know it would take 50psi on your setup to create enough heat that the engine would not be able to compensate.

The Bullet manifold has a design that is the straightest path for the air.

My word bath is complete!

Jake