1UZ + 1981 2WD Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yeah, I used the GPS speedo. The only problem is that it doesn't work in tunnels (but how many tunnels do you really go through?).

Other than that it's pretty good. I've used the 0-100km/h (0-60mph) feature and recorded a 6.8 second time, and am still yet to try the 400m (quarter-mile) feature. I think with serviced injectors, and new leads, plugs, rotors and caps I can improve that time too, since I don't know the history of the engine ;)

As for the fuel level gauge, it's not 100% accurate (but it's roughly correct) with my 1981 hilux sender, so I'm going to buy their one soon.

Nice work. I have one of these utes as a "Bunky" and have been considering a 1UZ into it, My choice for the instruments would be more of the stock SR5 look but as my daughter wishes to take it over when she gets her license in a years time the 18R might have to stay until she's off her "P" plates

Hey hey,

After ordering a set of Speed Hut gauges i found this build thread after searching how people have used these gauages. This is a awesome job! Not only the gauges but how you have put together the whole package!

I am doing the custom setup, mainly for the speedo like yourself as i have gone from mechanical speedo to electronic. I ahve opted for the electronic over the GPS one as certifiers here arent too happy for them being on a road car.

With the PSD file you have, how exactly did you use it? Was it printed on to something? This has me stumped at the moment.

Should mention i have a 1991 Toyota JZA70-R Supra with a 2JZGTE and a V160 6 speed gearbox. In the Speed Hut gauges i have Speed, tach, Fuel level and volts.
Others like boost, water temp, fuel and oil are Defi's - hope it doesnt look too weird mixing brands on the dash.

Cheers and look forward to hearing from you (If you ever come on here anymore :) )

Hey mate,

Good to hear someone else doing their own gauge cluster :)

I used VistaPrint.com to print the file as a sticker.

I then layed that on top of 3mm board I'd cut to the shape I wanted.

If you have photoshop, you'l have to rearrange the symbols etc to suit your needs.

I'd recommend saving the file as a high resolution .PNG and uploading that when using VistaPrint though, because I've had some things come back fuzzy due to errors at their end processing the PSD file.

Andrew

Hey thanks for the quick reply and the advice - will give it all a go when i have a chance. I see you are pretty handy with graphics and media from your website. Awesome stuff!

Whats the best way to get the correct scaling?
I have been trying to get something done in Google Sketch for some time and wondered if something was cut up whether it would be right. Also when it came time to doing something with it, how i would have it done.

I'll use your PSD fpr now and see how i get on with sorting something out.

Hope you dont mind me hi-jacking your build thread!

Cheers!

It's all good. I consider it like a free bump!

The photoshop file is in 196dpi. Printing it should retain it's size, although I think it's too big for A4. You could do a test run by having a print centre do you one on A3. It's about $2 here in Australia at a place called OfficeWorks.

I've been making all sorts of stickers, and uploading brochures to another website of mine: retrojdm.com

For those, I've been using a local signwriter and having a whole sheet of stuff printed, and then cut out.

It's all good. I consider it like a free bump!

The photoshop file is in 196dpi. Printing it should retain it's size, although I think it's too big for A4. You could do a test run by having a print centre do you one on A3. It's about $2 here in Australia at a place called OfficeWorks.

I've been making all sorts of stickers, and uploading brochures to another website of mine: retrojdm.com

For those, I've been using a local signwriter and having a whole sheet of stuff printed, and then cut out.

Thats some pretty cool stuff you have there. I'll repost up on the other forums i frequent.

Once i get some free time i will be sure to work on a setup of mine. Just need to make sure i get my stuff sorted - proptions and scale are what i think i will have trouble with. One way to find out though aye? :)

Do you have any other pictures of the construction and assembly of the cluster?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sump
I made the sump as an object in a 3D program called trueSpace.

I think version 7.6 is available as a free download. If you like I can send you the 3D scene of the sump.

Driveshaft

There was a *very* slight vibration at around 95-100 km/h, but it wasn't enough to worry about.

Just be sure to tighten the 30mm nut on the output shaft that holds the 3-prong flange up to the correct torque setting.

That nut not being tight enough caused a much bigger vibration from around 70 km/h. It's the same as the nut on your diff.

New Owner

Hey mate kind of a fluke i found this but just bout your old lux last week its a bit battered compared to when you owned it seats worn rust coming out everywhere.
bought as a daily as i also have a 1990 ln106 hilux with a 480hp 2jzgte. thought would let you know as i can tell how much time you spent on this.
its now running 16 inch steelies with 225s still with center caps has the pwr oil cooler will wood line locker kit and a full spool (locked) rear diff. Having a few dramas with gauges fuel and temp seem too be all over the shop.
would be good to hear from you bud if you have Facebook add me Mitchell Torrielli